Combat Mission Normandy?

After many years away from it, my buddy and I just started a PBEM game of CMBB. I had to reinstall it on my old PC with the 4 X 3 monitor as the graphics don't work on my new PC which has a a widescreen monitor set at 1680 X 1050 resolution. Is there a fix for this?

I also see some discussion about a Combat Mission Normandy but I do not see any "official" announcement from Battlefront. This would be a definite buy for me and I would hope that resolutions for widescreen monitors would be part of the game. Where can I get some more info on this new game? Also, how about a Combat Mission Pacific?

Thanks.

After many years away from it, my buddy and I just started a PBEM game of CMBB. I had to reinstall it on my old PC with the 4 X 3 monitor as the graphics don't work on my new PC which has a a widescreen monitor set at 1680 X 1050 resolution. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

I've got a 1900X1280 or something like that it works fine.

Delete the prefs file and relaunch the game to select the new resolution. Besure you pick the native setting.

Either this or the Vista patch.

Combat Mission Pacific

There has been a mod created for this with some scenarios written for it. You can get the mods at GreenAsJades mod site ans the scenarios are available in the Sorted Scenario Packs (look under my name) at the Scenario Depot under CMAK.

cheers[/quote

Thanks, could you provide me with the website address for this?

Thanks for the reply Lt. Belenko. I'm little confused as to how I can set up CMBB to my native resolution of 1680 X 1050. I reinstalled the game on my new PC. When I start the game the first thing that comes up is the 3D DirectX Test. The resolution of 1680 X 1050 does not come up. I chose another resolution and then exited the game. I deleted the prefs file. I re-started the game and the 3D test comes up again. As before though the resolution of 1680 X 1050 is not a selection that is available to me. What am I doing wrong?

The CMx1 series does NOT support widescreen resolutions. It only supported a few discrete 4:3 standard resolutions. The closest resolution to your widescreen resolution of 1680x1050 would be 1280x1024. The limiting resolution will be the vertical (1050 on your display; 1024 supported by CM).

Depending on your display's capabilities the 1280x1024 resolution will either result in vertical black bars on each side or the horizontal resolution being "stretched" to fill the screen (and maybe the vertical one too). Some video cards also have the ability to tinker with the resolution somewhat (providing the 'black bars' to maintain the aspect ratio if your display does not).

To use the widescreen display, you will need to choose the best-match resolution the game will allow, probably 1400x1050 (this is what I am offered for my 1680x1050 monitor). After that, you have two options:

1. Run the game in wide-screen mode at 1680x1050, with stretched models ("wide-body" tanks, etc.). Note that the image is only stretched horizontally, because 1050 in the vertical plane matches your monitor's native resolution.

2. Run the game centered, at 4:3 resolution. You do this by either adjusting the appropriate settings in the video driver (which causes the image to be scaled by the driver and/or video card), or by changing the settings for your monitor itself (which causes the monitor to do the scaling). Which method to use depends on which is easiest for you and produces the best result. With my Dell 2209WA, it is easiest to just change the monitor settings.

With this method, the image displays with black bars on left and right, but the screen is filled top-to-bottom because 1050 pixels matches your monitor's resolution.

Of course, you would change this back to normal wide-screen once you were done playing the game.

Note that running at 4:3 instead of wide-screen does not reduce your field of view. Although the wide-screen image is wider, your view of the battlefield is no different from the 4:3 view—just the same view, stretched. :D

To be honest, the game does not look very good on the LCD monitor. Up close, the vehicle skins look good (I've applied mods to almost every vehicle), but at a more normal playing level the vehicle textures tend to "swim" when the vehicles are moving, and the terrain and vegetation has a harsh aspect to it that makes it difficult to look at for long periods, or to see some units. I think this is probably a product of the inherent higher contrast (or poorer gradation scaling, if you prefer) of LCDs vs. CRTs. I may try running the game on my second monitor, a 19-inch CRT that runs at 1280x960. Being a recent model, it isn't very sharp, but game graphics usually look better on it than on an LCD.

(I lament the disappearance of high-quality CRTs from the market in the wake of the sharp decrease in LCD prices of a few years ago. My old Eizo had outstanding image quality, but over time it lost sharpness, as CRTs tend to do.)

It would be nice if the display options were stored in an editable ini or prefs file, so that we could just go in there and set our preferences, rather than needing to click through a seemingly endless list of resolutions and refresh rates only to find that the combination we want isn't available (either that, or an industry-standard options screen that lets us choose from a list).

Thanks to everyone for their replies. When I choose one of the other resolutions, things like the menu that appears when you hit hot keys is completely white. I'll just play it on my old PC with the 4 X 3 monitor. I noticed that when I went to delete CMBB off of my new PC that there was no uninstall CMBB option. Secondly even using the remove program option in the control panel, CMBB did not appear. I ended right clicking on start to explore and manually deleted the CMBB folder. Weird.

I also have CMSF which I see is classified as a CMX2 game. Does CMSF support widescreen resolutions?

Its a shame that the Combat Mission series games cannot be updated. In my opinion they are still the best tactical PC games available.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. When I choose one of the other resolutions, things like the menu that appears when you hit hot keys is completely white.

If you are using a Radeon-based video card, you will need the Radeon text fix patch, which is just three replacement bmp files.

You will also occasionally need to ALT-TAB to the desktop and then maximize the game again to get certain text to display correctly (the mission-selection screen, the mission briefings, and/or the scorecard at the end of a mission).

http://www.battlefront.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=4&d=1215645837

• 1 month later...
Combat Mission Pacific

There has been a mod created for this with some scenarios written for it. You can get the mods at GreenAsJades mod site ans the scenarios are available in the Sorted Scenario Packs (look under my name) at the Scenario Depot under CMAK.

cheers

you won't re-create pear harbors air raid with that

i see a new executable for Afrika corp to fix the graphic problems with the new video cards. NOW we sure could use a same fix for BB and BO. PLEASE this wouldmakemy life happy.

JIVA

Does this fix the ATI text problem?

Where do i find this?

If it's the fix BF is charging for it will not fix the text.

The new CMAK demo has this fix already built in so you can download it and run it on your new machine to see if it fixes any of your problems before paying for the patch.