Promenading ones sexuality

A decade or more ago there was a study that showed homosexual behaviour in rats increased as the density rose. So yes it looks like there is a genetic signal for rats at least.

Costard - I am not sure you have seen the TV interview but a leader - I don't think so. Thoughtless , self-centred, stooge did cross my mind.

I have no big problem with homosexuality - other than when children/teens are introduced to the concept. Rather like religion : ). But sexuality can be channeled also.

Anyway my general gripe is that of people creating incidents and then relying on the "law" to force a "resolution". Smoking might be an example of someones rights being overridden - I understand smoking clubs are illegal in th UK.

If I were to stand outside a mosque or synagogue to exercise my right to preach would I not be deliberately be seen to engineer an incident? Or am I a leader?

I think it is very complex issue but my sympathies tend to be with the people who are put into the squeeze in administering. I do think there is a long term problem in that legislation and restrictions etc are making it highly unattractive to go into positions where you can expect aggro.

Many decades ago I thought of being a teacher however nowdays I would regard it is as high risk and potentially unfulfilling. Keep your head down and get on with a safe life. Sounds boring but there are more idiots than wise men and in a society with rampant media and hungry lawyers why bother.

I have no big problem with homosexuality - other than when children/teens are introduced to the concept. Rather like religion :

Well there is a diffrence, of you don't tell a kid about jesus or mohamed or Vishnu, they will never become christians, muslim or hindu.

But you don't need to tell a kid about homosexuality for them to turn out gay.

Infact something close to 90% of gay people discover they are gay by the time they are 12-14, some even as early as 5-6 evidence show that you are born gay, so it doesn't mater if you teach or tell children about homosexuality, most kids by the time they actualy learn about it has long since decided if they actualy are gay or not.

It has even shown that children brought up by gay parents have exactly the same chance of beeing gay, bi or straight.

Unfortunately the gender case is slightly undermined where identical twins are concerned. The first report suggested a 50% likelihood that the other twin would be gay but a later Australian study found 20% likelihood. One thing is for sure it does rather torpedo the straight genetic argument. : )

I do think there is very likely a genetic influence however I also believe that coaching can persuade youths to become homosexual/bisexual.

Affy - if you read the story you would know there was kickback after it was cancelled. Whether animosity existed beforehand I know not but it certainly would have been amusing for the graduationg class to vote on the matter.

One thing is for sure it does rather torpedo the straight genetic argument. : )

Not at all. No one would expect identical twins to have the exact same personality - or even similar personalities, for that matter - so why would we expect them to have the exact same sexual preference?

If anything, identical twins torpedo the argument that one's upbringing (over-bearing mother, etc.) has any bearing on one's sexuality. Afterall, they are raised in the same environment and presumably subjected to similar experiences in the household.

For what its worth I am an identical twin and we have quite different personalities. Funnily enough, he sometimes gets asked if he is gay! (He isn't)

A friend of mine recently revealed he was gay a few years ago - we were all extremely surprised given his personality and success with women. He said he was sure of it by the time he was 14 but never wanted to come out because he didn't want to get the attention it would bring. Given his background I would doubt he was 'taught' to be gay, in my opinion you are born with it. Whether that is genetic or conditions in the womb I don't know but I'm sure someone is working on it!

I had a friend years ago who suffered from the "looks gay" thing. He would always be approached and was decidedly straight. He ended up with this terrible paranoia about going itno public toilets!

Then there was the guy at school who everybody thought was gay from the time he was about 11. And he was.

Well its nice to know we are all liberals in the gay department :)

Bugged - if it were only genetic then one would expect a very high correlation with genetically identical twins as it happens 50 or 20 per cent is pretty high but not absolute so yes it would seem to be something else.

Given the rat studies on overrcrowding - perhaps it starts in the womb! Anyway I wonder if anyone has done a study on homosexuality rates in saparsely populated areas as opposed to densely populated areas.

Curiously what does appear to be mixing from all this is bisexuality where it does not matter what gender is the sexual partner.

By Bugged

No one would expect identical twins to have the exact same personality - or even similar personalities, for that matter - so why would we expect them to have the exact same sexual preference?

Ever been around identical twins ? My twin sons are not classed officially as identical, there is officially only something like 25% chance based on a test on the placenta. They are now 6 years and telling them apart is at times impossible unless you can see the only clear difference in their appearance: one has a round chicken pox scar in the forehead. They have always been within 1cm in height and 400g in weight for one. We were at Legoland Denmark last summer and had a 3D-image glass gube made of all our boys much like as seen here http://www.awardsinglass.com/en/photographic.htm . The twins sat next to each other when the picture was taken. While they sat in slightly different poses looking at their side profile in the cube they match almost 100%

Telling them apart is hard not only because they look alike but they also act alike. There are some basic differences but these manifest themselves at special occasions. Mainly these differences are in how they react to different situations and stimuli. What makes things worse is they seem to switch behaviour traits almost at regular intervals. Once you think you have them down they switch. Of course much of this is due to differences in their learning curve. But while there are differences there are definitive similarities in both their learned and instinctive behavious. IMO the learned behaviour is almost more down to them learning and adapting from each other rather than from outside.

We joke with the wife that we have four sons of two basic models: the twins have paired up with a different elder brother and that pairing is fairly constant. It seems the pairing is based on similarities in their personalities. That has led us parents to believe that to some extent personality traits are hereditary. Or at least predisposition to adapt learned behaviour patterns is hereditary.

If anything, identical twins torpedo the argument that one's upbringing (over-bearing mother, etc.) has any bearing on one's sexuality. Afterall, they are raised in the same environment and presumably subjected to similar experiences in the household.

This is true. But that also means that all the children in a family carrying the "gay" genes would turn gay and not just one of the litter.