After Patching Problems

After a successfully update to 1.2.4 via the game updater I have these problems:

- if I run the AutoUpdater.exe again it tries to update again; however, if i run the 1.2.4 patch (in the user folder) or the update via the kursk.exe file everything is fine: they say I have the latest version;

- the TOW Kursk.exe shortcut in the START/PROGRAMS/BATTLEFRONT/1C Commany/ .... doesnt point to the .exe file but to the AutoUpdater, and in the wrong directory. I.e. it points to the main directory, while the updater is in the AutoUpdater subfolder.

I copied the new 'AutoUpdate.exe' file into the the '\Program Files\Battlefront\1C Company\Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943\AutoUpdater' directory and the 'AutoUpdate.resources.dll' file in the 'ru' directory into the corresponding directory in the 'AutoUpdater' directory.

The update ran when launched and after the update, the shortcut for 'Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943' to launch the program was pointing to an invalid file. The 'AutoUpdater.exe' file should be changed in that shortcut 'Target' box to 'AutoUpdate.exe'.

However, now the 'AutoUpdater' dialog box comes up twice. I click the 'Play' button on the first dialog box (which disappears, as expected) and then it launches a second 'AutoUpater' dialog box. Clicking 'Play' on this second dialog box finally launches the program.

I copied the new 'AutoUpdate.exe' file into the the '\Program Files\Battlefront\1C Company\Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943\AutoUpdater' directory and the 'AutoUpdate.resources.dll' file in the 'ru' directory into the corresponding directory in the 'AutoUpdater' directory.

The update ran when launched and after the update, the shortcut for 'Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943' to launch the program was pointing to an invalid file. The 'AutoUpdater.exe' file should be changed in that shortcut 'Target' box to 'AutoUpdate.exe'.

However, now the 'AutoUpdater' dialog box comes up twice. I click the 'Play' button on the first dialog box (which disappears, as expected) and then it launches a second 'AutoUpater' dialog box. Clicking 'Play' on this second dialog box finally launches the program.

LOL !!! Sorry, I couldnt resist :)

BTW, best thing is to create a new shortcut to the Kursk.exe in the main directory.

It launches the right updater and, closing it, you'll launch the game.

So what seems to have changed is that the original shortcut pointed to the 'AutoUpdater.exe' file, which in turn launched the actual executable ('Kursk1943.exe).

Now the 1.2.4 patch executable will launch the 'AutoUpdate.exe' file when you launch the main game executable ('Kursk1943.exe'). By using the original method of the shortcut launching the 'AutoUpdater' to run the program, it ends up just running the Updater twice, the 'AutoUpdate.exe', then the main executable 'Kursk1943.exe', which in turn calls the 'AutoUpdate.exe' first...

I'm still can install the update. Where is the update button ingame?

When I launch autoupdater It says I need to install a version of the .NET framework to launch to autoupdate. huh?? I'm very confused

There is no update button ingame, it's in the autoupdater. You can download the framework from the Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en).

I have upgraded to the patch, but I believe I must have done something wrong in dragging the zip file for the auto update. (Update from the sticky)

I get the below message when clicking the update button.

Checking for the updates...

Update failed. Error: Access to the path '..\users\Patches' is denied.

Checking for the updates...

Update failed. Error: Access to the path '..\users\Patches' is denied.

I put this in the Battlefront/IC/Theatre of War 2 Kursk 1943 area.

The download is a zip file but for some reason once downloaded I don't see anything in this location which needs unzipped.

Wow! this was confusing.

I think I finally have this correct.

Part of the problem is that I got an error message when I tried unzipping the replacement auto update exe and ru file. I had to unzip this to the desktop and cut and paste them into the auto updater file. Great this was in place.

I did the "run as administrator" directly from the auto update exe.

I then went to the game shortcut and tried the update button from there. This failed to connect. I hit the "run as administrator' and it loaded successfully.

To make sure this finally was correct I hit the update button again. I got another fail to connect.

I finally discovered that the Administrator Rights which "WERE" checked yesterday "WERE NOT" checked today. Perhaps this had something to do with the replacement of the auto update??? I will be keeping an eye on this flaky behaviour.

Things are once again good to go.

Wow! this was confusing.

I think I finally have this correct.

Part of the problem is that I got an error message when I tried unzipping the replacement auto update exe and ru file. I had to unzip this to the desktop and cut and paste them into the auto updater file. Great this was in place.

I did the "run as administrator" directly from the auto update exe.

I then went to the game shortcut and tried the update button from there. This failed to connect. I hit the "run as administrator' and it loaded successfully.

To make sure this finally was correct I hit the update button again. I got another fail to connect.

I finally discovered that the Administrator Rights which "WERE" checked yesterday "WERE NOT" checked today. Perhaps this had something to do with the replacement of the auto update??? I will be keeping an eye on this flaky behaviour.

Things are once again good to go.

Thanks for all of the advice here. I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit & had to run as an administrator. Fixed my problems!