What no Ferdinand Elephants?

I noticed that also. Probably because the Ferdinand didn't have that much of an impact on the battle. Maybe they will show up at a later date in a patch or addon.

It is interesting to figure out infantry strategies for combating tanks. In the demo, a lone infantryman took out a Panther that got too close to the trench.

Well that would be why then.. :)

Shame though I love playing with the big cats.

An interesting read: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz6.htm

A little off-topic, but I thought I would reply with my thoughts. I find that artcile to be very interesting. Back in 1992 when I was a PFC in the Marine Corps I was stationed at Aberdeen for optics training. My barracks was near the outside museum and remember seeing that very same Elephant in the picture(they only had one there). I took a few pictures and pics of other big German tanks. I was always facinated with German armor and now I was face to face with these beasts! One thing I noticed different was at that time they were all painted a dull grey-white color and were rusting away outside. I thought it was such a waste...

Good news though. I recently seen a show on the military channel where they took that very same Elephant and restored it to perfect condition and now keep it under a roof! That Elephant is a real survivor!

What's up with that? The Ferdinands are mentioned in the video footage at the beginning of the campaign yet they don't appear to be in the game? Weren't they introduced at Kursk?

The Ferdinand/Elefants were in the northern sector under 9th Army ( 14 Inf Divs/6 Pz/1 PzGrd/7 Stug and the 656th Tk Destroyer Rgt ( 2 Bns the 653 and 654 with the 83 Ferdinands/Elefants, 42 Brummbaers and about 50 other odd panzers). Also a Tiger Abt.

About 920 tanks & assault guns here.

In the south was the main striking force of Hoth's 4th Pz Army & Army Det Kempf with 7 Inf Divs, 5 Pz Divs, 4 Pz Grd Divs [the 3 SS and the "GD"] and 3 Tiger Abt. About 1500 tanks & assault guns here.

I've left off many other units like arty, light assault guns or destroyers, radio controlled "Goliaths", jaeger bns, etc.

This game concerns "GD" which also controlled operationally the new Panthers. "GD" was in XXXXVIII Pz Korps with 3rd and 11th Pz Divs. "GD" had its own Tigers (15) as well. The 3 SS divisions were in their own II SS Pz Corps nearby.

"GD" is probably the best German unit to pick for this game as it had all the types of battle panzers from III, IV, V, and VI.

The game is called Theater of War 2:Kursk 1943, which SHOULD include ALL armored vehicles of that battle. I know that the manual describes the German force as Grossdeustchland, but I also vote for a patch to include Elephants (the tank, not the animal). Or a name change for the game to something more appropriate. Just my opinion, which probably ain't worth much. :D

Dep

I'd like to see them too, although they were pretty much static 88mm guns. You might as well call in off-map artillery and pretend it is the Elephants firing. It does make me wonder what is next for the TOW franchise however. I can see some potential in a later war Eastern front setup.

I don't know about you guys but I keep wanting to pop smoke and be able able to fire the anti-infantry mortars that the later Panthers and Tigers had. :D

You would need all new maps for this as it was in a completely different area of this 43 day battle.

You could try going to the old Panzer Elite game that has been extensively modded with new models and skins plus maps. I worked on developing some 40 new East Front scenarios for the Ostpak mod and I did develop a scenario featuring Elefants and Brummbaers. My scenario takes place around the town and railyard at Ponyri on July 9, 1943 and is mostly based on Glantz's book Kursk. Of course in Pz Elite you can enter into your tank and select and fire on the enemy or you can drive as well. You control a zug (plt) and can issue orders to your other zug mbrs. You can also play the Russian side. Unfortunately the infantry are only 2D sprites. But this is an old game that initially came out in 1999 and we modded from 2000 until 2005 but does play on Vista with a tweak or 2.

There were other mod groups involved as well in Pz Elite. One group did North Africa 1943 and also the fighting around Gazala to El Alamein even adding Italian armor to the game.

I withdraw my request. After trying to play a campaign and getting that stupid slideshow effect, I'd just like them to try and fix what they have. Anyone else think $45 is a bit steep for a sim that doesn't even seem to have been playtested and that expects the user to find the bugs that are all glaringly apparent? My money tree died a couple of years ago and I never got the discount coupon for being a beta tester/bug finder for this sim. :mad:

I don't see why the Ferdinand/Brummbaer couldn't be added to the editor; certainly not to the base game though.

They don't belong in this game as designed and with maps not of the area those machines were deployed in. They were in a diffrent army - 9h Army (Model) not 4th Pz Army (Hoth).

But once again in the editor is OK to let you play with them. There were only 90 built and they had not influence here or later deployed in Italy.