Love it...and China grrrrrr

Kudos to the developers. You guys always bring realism to the Axis position. Damn China is hard to destroy! I keep getting bogged down, but I love the challenge.

Anyone have in China take-over tips?

Grrrr could not agree more but I thought Huberts tip about Nanning was right on also cutting the Burma road will be a big help in halting supplies, other comments like it is poor tank terrain is well said and it is a kind of slogging war eg: 1 hex at a time, China can be defeated but is it worth it? In late 1941 when the US puts on the oil embargo you have to be ready to strike all over SE Asia with relentless and absolute power, and to do that your reduced forces in China will just have to hang in there.

Bo

I understand your pain. I'm playing as the Allies and I'm just bleeding Japan white right now in China. I'd hate to be on the other side. With that terrain and the engineer busy all the time its just going nightmare for the Japs to make any progress.

Its mid 41 and I have hardly budged from my starting position. And when I do get pushed back, I have a 4 hex wide defense complex waiting as a fallback position.

Any progress they make will be a Pyrrhic victory.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm starting to develop a new strategy, thinking more long term.

Currently, I don't see much draw back to DoW on Br. minors in Asia with Japan early. I'm sure it might anger the US a bit but it doesn't seem like it'll push them into the fray before '41. As an added bonus I like to Sealion Britain with Germany and attacking Br. minors in Asia helps to strangle their total income.

I think back to my AXIS and ALLIES table top days and feel like it'll be a poweful plan to punch through India with Japan and create that second USSR front in the Caucusus. I figure swaying Turkey to the dark side might also help this Axis strategy too.

With that in mind I'm now keeping a token force in China to slug it out and win a few cities over, while sending a crack amphibious assault team to take out those Br. minors. If I've enough manpower I might grab Australia and maybe sneak into S. Africa. It'd be killer to pop those forces over to Brazil later and knock on the American back door, especially with an Axis Mexico :)

Damn I love this game. I need more Red Bull!

Quick question. I am the Axis playing long campaign. It is now late October 1941. I have have taken Hanoi and have several amphibious assault teams heading out on the high seas towards Burma,Bankok, Batavia. Now, I don't want to blow my sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. I will be heading out to hawaii this turn cause I don't know how long it will take to get there from home islands. I remember reading a post several weeks ago and someone asked about Pearl harbor and how Hubert was going to handle it and he said it would be a surprise. Is there a script that kicks off the surprise attack or do I simple put my task force Northwest of HAwaii and declare war on Dec 7th?

Combined attacks will conquer China. You should always look to cutting his Supply and income. the rest is easy!

My trouble is when he turtles up around the Chinese interior and I can get my forces behind him because of the terrain.

But I think I might be able to accomplish this with more mobile corps units instead of armies.

I need a unit that has at least 4 action points because 3 isn't cutting it in muddy, rainy, jungle, mountain tiles.

I need a unit that has at least 4 action points because 3 isn't cutting it in muddy, rainy, jungle, mountain tiles.

Sucessful Offensive depend a lot on the Season, so i would propose not to force too much in Muddy times like November or so.. better prepare for a Offensive in June or in May when it comes to be South China.

For the Access: Jungle and Mountain Tiles are probably not the best locations for Offensives if there are no roads.

i.e. Changsha is a hard nut if one attacks over the Rivers , while it can become easier if one first takes Nanning as from there you may get 2 Attacking tiles south of Changsha without river and one even with road. this may help together with a coordinated Strike: 1 Turn i.e. in May: Air Attacks 2-4 X + some Commando Attacks, and the Next Turn the Coordinated Army offensive may bring the sucsess

Hey Gypsy---

You make a good point---your longer term/Axis & Allies strategy sounds good (instead of bashing away at China).

Taking out Foochow is a must, though, and possibly Nanning (if you can get there!) before embarking on an island/eastward expansion strategy.

Cheers...

Canada1

Quick question. I am the Axis playing long campaign. It is now late October 1941. I have have taken Hanoi and have several amphibious assault teams heading out on the high seas towards Burma,Bankok, Batavia. Now, I don't want to blow my sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. I will be heading out to hawaii this turn cause I don't know how long it will take to get there from home islands. I remember reading a post several weeks ago and someone asked about Pearl harbor and how Hubert was going to handle it and he said it would be a surprise. Is there a script that kicks off the surprise attack or do I simple put my task force Northwest of HAwaii and declare war on Dec 7th?

The surprise is in how the US deals with being attacked and how their units appear on the map and so on, i.e. if you want to deal a crippling blow at Pearl Harbor we've made it a possibility... beyond that, and as the Japanese player, it is still up to you on how you conduct your attacks.

Good luck!

I think playing the China front is simply delightful. The game design captures the ardous historical campaign that the Japanese faced well. Playing Axis at +1 experience to the AI, it took me several complete restarts (but no cheating by replaying a turn) to work out the strategy and tactics to capture Fuzhou and Nanning. But the timeline is now Feb 1941 and it cost the Japanese 4400 MPPs! Great game!

Hubert - Well done - I say no need for any major changes here! Frustration well defines the China front for the Axis!!