SC-Global Conflict - What differs it from other WW2 grand strategies?

Hi,

Never played any SC games before. Trying to make my decision whether to purchase this game or not. For me, the main contestant for SC-GC is Arsenal of Democracy, basically a remake of Hoi2.

My question is; are there anyone in this forum who played HoI2 (or any other WW2 grand strategies) as well as SC. What are the differences between them? pros and cons? For instance, do SC 'feel' the same with HoI2 or is the emphasis of SC is different from HoI2? Which game can be considered as more detailed? What make this game unique in comparison to other grand strategies?

I would appreciate any comments. I am reading the maunal as well, but the comments of players are also important for me.

I don't remember much about HoI2 (except I didn't like it much and tossed it), but I do know SC is much easier to play right from scratch without looking much at the manual. Plenty of detail and options, and easy to understand. The manual is very useful once you figure out the basics, but much of it can be understood just by diving in and playing it by trial and error.

The editor is also one of the biggest assets of this game. You can tweek and alter almost anything in the game to your heart's desire, and it is not difficult to figure out how to do it. :cool:

SC is much more "traditional" than the HoI series, in that it uses good old fashioned counters (or icons) and squares (tho not the hexes of SC1), and not the "zones" of HoI (something which I could not get used to at all). It is also more "grounded" and less liable to give wackily ahistorical results (either the dev is more on top of things or the SC game system is inherently less prone to such things).

sedas,

I would suggest testing out the SC Global Conflict Demo once that becomes available to get a better idea but in the meantime you could always try out one of the previous demos such as the one for Weapons and Warfare as it too can give you an idea of how the SC series will play.

Here is a link:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=153&Itemid=210

Hubert

I have played HOI2 before. My major problems with it were:

1. It takes the same amount of time to play the game as it took to fight WWII.

2. It's hard to get a good "stop point" when playing in realtime. You wind up playing to 2:00am if you're not careful. Dangerous for people with lives and careers.

3. I didn't like the combat system. Several major battles can all be going on at the same time and it is impossible to focus on them. I like it when you quickly attack the opponent and he either retreats, is destroyed (or takes damage), or you have to stop or be destroyed yourself. I also feel like I lose out by not being able to rellish and enjoy each of my battles. Not to mention you may have to adjust your politics, research, builds, and economy why all this goes on and it really gets out of hand. Convinced me turn based is better. If you slow the time down you can do a better job handling it but see #1 above.

4. I don't like that you have to keep putting patches on the game. I'm not a techie so I had to learn all about patches when I got HOI2. Darn it, when someone takes my hard earned money I expect a quality product that is good to run from the start! Don't waste my time with fix its. Can anyone say Toyota recall?

5. I finally got HOI2 off my computer, however, it still shows in the directory and I can't seem to get rid of it there. Oh well, at least it isn't hurting anything.

6. I was researching HOI3 as it might have improved and become more fun. However, a lot of customers are complaining online that HOI3 runs terribly slow, has a lot of bugs and last I checked has four patches to it. hmmm. That doesn't sound like a product I want to invest my money into. Also, if you go on YouTube you can find some really, really hilarious videos made of peoples problems with HOI3 (I love the video where Hitler is cussing out his officers who are supposedly the game developers. It's a hoot).

That's my take.

Geofighter

The staff at SC actually work very hard to improve the game with more and more features without bogging down the playability of the game or the interface. Too many games come out without thought for interface design, playability, or mod functionality (for longevity), SC2 does all this. The graphics are not eye popping super cool but its easy to read and is pretty good. You buy a strategy game for the game not the fancy graphics. It is well written and designed, the system mechanics are simply and easy to use which allows you to focus your brain power on playing the strategy. Less interface time more play time. I dont have to strain my brain figuring out how to play the game.

Look at games like Commander, its pretty, it has nice music, but its not expandable. It doesnt have as many different units or options. 1 map no more. The editor is terrible to use. The mechanics limited. They didnt even bother to make a pacific theatre.

Hearts of Iron is a RTS game of the entire war on such a grand scale and at such a small level of detail I dont know how anyone can play it. Its tiresome detailed work to add attachments to units, upgrade units, keep an eye on the whole map to make sure something isnt getting attacked. Sure it has divisions and is very detailed with cool ships and an advanced tech tree but its tedious and not fun to play. I spent most of my time micro managing than playing. Also the way the system is designed you build tons of units, point it where to attack, then micro manage each attack, wala. boring.

Ive played lots of grand strategy games on board and PC. This is the best PC one I have encountered. It gets my strategy game of the decade award.