Need help - few questions

SlyBelle

I just started playing CMSF again, after I purchased the British and Marine modules. I have a couple of questions.

1) When playing "wego" method, is there anyway to see how long all your commands will take to process? Why I'm looking for this is because I find it hard to judge whether all my commands have taken up the full minute of time. A number of times my movements end with time remaining, wasting their ability to do more. What I would love to see is some kind of "estimate time" for each command I put in.

2) Is it possible to see individual unit statistics? For example, look at "unit a" and see all the kills it personally had during the game.

Thanks!

The closest thing the game has to a real 'command delay' is movement and setup orders for heavy weapons. Depending on the weapon, some nail-biting can be involved waiting for your team to deploy and start firing on that attacking enemy. In the last patch they did substantially decrease ATGM and RCCL gun deploy times. Long-time players don't often ponder the 'estimated time' question because the pace of the game eventually becomes second nature. Like driving a standard transmission car, you soon stop thinking about how and when you're supposed to shift.

I guess what I was looking for was different then the responses I have been receiving. Most of the responses have been about pauses/delays. My question is more about knowing how much time all the commands I have issued will take to get processed so that I know if I have fully utilizied the next minute.

So if I did something like a quick move and then a move to a spot on the battlefield, just hoping there was something that would show it would take an estimated "33 seconds" to reach that objective so that I knew I still had time to issue other commands. I realize this could never be 100% accurate since things happening on the battlefield would affect it, but at least it would be an estimate.

About times taken, that can be difficult to estimate. I once tested a 'run' command over rough ground. Syrian combatants (no body armor). Of the squad one guy was a frickin' olympic sprinter! He was at his station before the last guy has reached the halfway mark. Its worse if a squad member's got a yellow 'wounded' base. :)

Well, honestly i believe the estimating part is up to the commander and that's us the player.Hes the one who needs to figure out the Train A leaving from B station at xx speed while Train B leaves A station at xx miles away at xx speed type of question.Its part of the tactical decision making and i would prefer to calculate all those factors myself.Makes it enjoyable for me.(Don't like trains think fighter planes:))

After a while you'll get closer to your pixel troops and know how far, how long and how tired they will get in a certain amount of minutes and when to push them or let them rest.

What you wrote is the one primary reason why I play Real Time instead of WEGO,so I can pause when I want and have full control over my troops at any time so they are not sitting there waiting for the ticker to finish.

Well, honestly i believe the estimating part is up to the commander and that's us the player.Hes the one who needs to figure out the Train A leaving from B station at xx speed while Train B leaves A station at xx miles away at xx speed type of question.Its part of the tactical decision making and i would prefer to calculate all those factors myself.Makes it enjoyable for me.(Don't like trains think fighter planes:))

After a while you'll get closer to your pixel troops and know how far, how long and how tired they will get in a certain amount of minutes and when to push them or let them rest.

What you wrote is the one primary reason why I play Real Time instead of WEGO,so I can pause when I want and have full control over my troops at any time so they are not sitting there waiting for the ticker to finish.

Thank you for the response. Maybe your last point is what I need to try instead of WEGO. maybe that is best of both worlds. Thanks!

I guess what I was looking for was different then the responses I have been receiving. Most of the responses have been about pauses/delays. My question is more about knowing how much time all the commands I have issued will take to get processed so that I know if I have fully utilizied the next minute.

So if I did something like a quick move and then a move to a spot on the battlefield, just hoping there was something that would show it would take an estimated "33 seconds" to reach that objective so that I knew I still had time to issue other commands. I realize this could never be 100% accurate since things happening on the battlefield would affect it, but at least it would be an estimate.

It's experimentation I'm afraid. Lots of different speeds modified by ground types, vegetation, gradient, health etc.

Too complex to show.

Just give more orders so you'll be sure it will take a minute. However things like infantry exiting vehicles and then the vehicle moving on are still not possible in my opinion? I have never really been able to employ it though, even with plenty of pauses.

Indeed, in single play RT is my choice. However don't think your units won't be sitting around doing nothing in RT. This time they will do because you simply forgot about them! :)

However things like infantry exiting vehicles and then the vehicle moving on are still not possible in my opinion? I have never really been able to employ it though, even with plenty of pauses.

Just issue first a "Dismount" command and the passengers will always leave the vehicle (you can then issue another movement/other commands to those passengers to carry on) and after dismounting the passengers the vehicle will resume in the same turn any movement you had given to it. If you want to disembark the passengers after reaching a destination, don't issue the "Dismount" command but you can issue another movement commands to the passengers - think they'll start moving from the vehicle destination altough the movement line starts from where the passengers actually are. The vehicle will first move to the destination and when it stops - even before taking up a "Face" position, will disembark the passengers. I think it's just not possible to do it in the middle of a vehicle route.

Cheers,

Lomir

I am strictly a WEGO player, too old and senile to cope with real time.

I can cope with getting troops off the bus once it arrives at the destination (I simply give them a pause long enough for the vehicle to start moving then a normal movement command(s) to the point(s) I want them to go to - the vehicle moves and when it stops the troops get off and carry on as ordered).

What I have never managed to do successfully, at least not regularly, is get troops to board a vehicle and then the vehicle to move off in the same turn. Its one of those orders that are simple in real life but very hard, if not damn near impossible within the game (just like, "Take your unit and drive down the road until you get to the bridge, remember to maintain road discipline and spacing").

I have had the same issues since CMBO. It would be nice if one day Battlefront came up with a solution, though it is, I suspect, something easier to specify than code. However, just in case Steve or one of the gang is reads this, "Hey, Battlefront, any chance of a ROAD MOVE and CONVOY command in CM:N?

Lethaface,

I started using the 30 second pause too, in fact I used to try and time the pause for the length fo the journey. What I found was that to do so was uncessary. All I need is a pause long enough to stop the infantry from getting out before the vehicle starts to move. Once its gong the infantry will sit tight but de-bus as soon as the vehicle gets to its destination. This holds true for journeys that take more than one turn to complete.