Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Airstrikes

goodwood

How do you know what type of munitions a strikes carries?

Generally, heavy = ATGMS & LGBs/JDAMs, medium = FFARs, and light = cannon. If an aircraft isn't equipped with any weapons in the heavy category, then it will fire weapons form the medium category when you give it a heavy strike order. You can tell what kind of ordinance is carried by the unlabeled ammo bars displayed when you're plotting the target; iirc the leftmost bar represents cannon ammo, followed by rockets, followed by bombs, followed by missiles on the rightmost ammo bar.

What type of ordance? Why, just look at the user interface: they carry 40mm grenades. Sheesh, that was easy. Next question please.

:)

That is the gist of the complaint about the user interface regarding air support. Oh, the other part is, "which column of 40mm grenades stand for which type of attack?"

Ken

I'm pretty eager to defend CMSF on most issues, but this one has me putting me hands up too.

We're well in to the third year since release, and still no tool tips for this? Quite a lot of things would benefit from tooltips, but this one in particular should have had tooltips added. Even a knowledgeable veteran player can't make sense out of aircraft ordnance.

I'm pretty eager to defend CMSF on most issues, but this one has me putting me hands up too.

We're well in to the third year since release, and still no tool tips for this? Quite a lot of things would benefit from tooltips, but this one in particular should have had tooltips added. Even a knowledgeable veteran player can't make sense out of aircraft ordnance.

A quick fix to this issue would just be to include these details in the mission briefings. Baffling that that wasn't already included.

A quick fix to this issue would just be to include these details in the mission briefings. Baffling that that wasn't already included.

Besides Elmar's usability point, you're assuming the info is available to scen designers.

Granted they know whether they purchased lt vs mdm vs hy, but beyond that designers are as much in the dark as you are. Take a look at the editor some time.

I can live with a little guesswork regarding Allied ordnance. You can most often take an educated guess what a Marine Harrier is going to drop on a building or how an A-10 is going to 'target light'. But when the scene shifts to Afghanistan I'm going to be in the dark. I don't have a clue what a... (what's a type of Russian bomber?)... SU-22, for example, would carry as ordnance in 1982. At least I hope there's going to be a page in the manual on the topic.

You can tell what kind of ordinance is carried by the unlabeled ammo bars displayed when you're plotting the target; iirc the leftmost bar represents cannon ammo, followed by rockets, followed by bombs, followed by missiles on the rightmost ammo bar.

We're well in to the third year since release, and still no tool tips for this? Quite a lot of things would benefit from tooltips, but this one in particular should have had tooltips added.

Or even just an official statement from BFC regarding which ammo bar represents which type of ordinance.

However, the ammo bar display isn't across-the-board consistent. The AH-64 (normally) shows four types of ordinance, whereas most fast movers show only two (different sizes of JDAMs, I reckon). I've heard tell that the Apache (in-game, at least) has two types of cannon ammo (hence the four ammo bars; the other two stand for rockets and ATGMs). If this is correct, then a consistent ammo bar arrangement may not work.

Some rules of thumb which I've learned from trial and error:

- If a helo has only one ammo bar, that means it has no missiles or rockets.

- USMC Harriers have cannons, whereas British Harriers don't.

- Fast movers loaded up for anti-armor sorties (i.e., with ATGMs rather than just JDAMs) are -- in my experience -- rare enough that for the most part one can assume that any given F-15, F-16, F/A-18, etc., has just JDAMs.