A french army in CMSF II ?

RommL

Bah, LeClerc is just an ugly box no different from Abrams, Challenger, Ariete or Leopard (except that it is powered by Wärtsilä). Designers these days have no eye for aesthetics or originality, Israelis and Russians excepted.

I'd much rather see the beautiful AMX-30.

amx_30.jpg

Then of course the 'little tanks'. ERC-90:

erc-90_1_coteivoire.jpg

and AMX-10 RC:

amx-10rc_18.jpg

But my favourite is the tiny AML-90. It's just so cute!!! <3<3<3

aml90_001.jpg

We are theoretically interested in having modern day French and Italian forces in CM:SF 2 at some point. They are so incredibly ignored by wargaming that it would be a thrill to have them in. Our problem is we have other things which more people want to see first, so there is definitely competition for resources. Which is why neither the Italians or French are making into CM:SF 1.

As for French in Normandy, that should be fairly easy to accomplish at some point. Definitely not in the initial release, definitely not in either the 1st or 2nd Modules. If things go well they will be in the 3rd Module along with a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff that is too big and/or too out of place to go into the other Modules.

Steve

I also doubt any WHEELED vehicle should try to mount a gun designed for an MBT, just a thought

MGS has the advantage of firing a squash-head HE round as its primary round. That round actually produced less muzzle energy than a smoke shell! So MGS is effectively a medium-pressure gun like the French guns, with the marginal ability to blast a full-charge KE round, if they don't mind rattling some teeth loose in the process. :)

But if that is what they really wanted couldn't they have used a much shorter/lighter gun?

I've got piles of reference on the great U.S. 90mm light gun contest of the 1980s. There were some very promising 90mm medium pressure guns being offered, but the rug got pulled out from under the project when the 'sexier' extra-long-recoil 105mm tank gun concept appeared. The funny thing is a major 'selling point' was ammo commonality, but by the time MGS got fielded 105mm was so out of date they had to go offshore to get new ammo made for it.

I was having a look at the current French army and read about the new Felin system which is like the infantry upgrade the US was doing but seems to have stalled. They're actually sending this stuff out on the field apparently which means that standard French soldiers will be covered in hi-tech stuff if they keep going.

Helmets with HUD and NV built in, infantry weapons with NV/thermal/helmetlinked camera sights as standard, computer systems intergrated into the armor that links every solider into a network. It sounds like the stuff from the GRAW games but apparently it's real and they're equiping it now.