How do you use snipers?

I'm playing through some really impressive British scenarios but I am struggling with the Brit snipers - how do you use them effectively?

All I am trying to do is place them somewhere safe perhaps slightly out of the way of the front-line fire but within LOS of the enemy positions, however this doesn't seem to make much difference. I can't even get them to see many positions let alone take any action even with binoculars/scopes. I had this in the scenario prior also, where I managed to target some enemy armour but they refused to fire. Maybe the tanks buttoned I don't know, but the bottom line is I don't think I've seen a single allied sniper fire!

A-ha! Well, I tried moving my dudes into more open terrain (from wooded areas) and within a few minutes they had spotted a machine gun emplacement and taken the primary gunner out. Out of interest does the secondary gunner take his place? Because I'm sure I noticed it. Very clever if so.

It's early morning, as was the last engagement. 5am-6am time slot.

Yep, another team member will likely take over. Snipers are extremely valuable for picking off pesky heavy weapons/AT teams as well as just recon or harassing the enemy. I keep them on the flanks or just behind the main force. I use the brit snipers more aggressively as you get more of them and no organic MGs to your rifle platoons (you have to hope you get the fire support group or such). I use US snipers further away from the main group and in more dangerous areas, as they tend to have larger teams, so decent security if something pops up close. Overall they're great if you just put them in place and let the "work over" an area. A good sniper is an excellent force multiplier for when you don't have mortars to hit that ATGM team or a couple of MGs to cover that approach. Used carefully, they can wipe out or pin entire teams at some pretty good ranges. But be careful that they don't get overwhelmed, so keep them supported and/or far enough away to not be wiped out, especially the brits who have 2 or even 1 man teams, the bigger US teams can handle a small firefight in a pinch.

Also note the rifle in use, I haven't done any testing, but here's what I noticed/know:

The US Army gets the M110, a suppressed 7.62mm semi automatic rifle, I don't know how much of an effect the suppressor has in game, but it's a good rifle for your work under 1000m, probably best at even shorter ranges being semi automatic and suppressed. They Army and the Marines also have the M107(army)/M82A3(USMC) .50 caliber rifles, which have an effective range of out to around 2km (I wouldn't bet on great results). The .50 is heavy, not as precise as some other rifles, and you don't get much ammo, but you get shear firepower in semi auto form. Excellent suppression, lethality, and penetration through light armor and cover. I use them when I need reach over 1 km or I need that firepower. The Marines also have the M82A3, bolt action and 7.62mm. Very precise, I've noticed its a good all around rifle for picking off guys under 1 km, probably a bit better results than the M110.

The Brits have the 7.62mm L96, similar to the M40A3 in performance (seems to be used mostly by sniper platoon leaders) and the suppressed .338 L115. The L115 is a great rifle, it doesn't have the penetration and raw power of the .50, but for just picking off guys, it gives you a bit more reach and performance at longer ranges over the 7.62, while also being more precise than the .50. These teams are great for general sniping at 600 to 1500 or so meters.

Syrian snipers only get the semi-auto 7.62x54mm SVD, a sort of DMR/sniper hybrid. Not the best rifle out there, often coupled with mediocre shooters. Short of SF, I use syrian snipers almost exclusively under 600m to harass and cover open areas, especially the lowest quality guys. Often they're just an annoyance or speed bump for BLUFOR, but if you can inflict a few causalities here and there. Unless they are very good, use them to pick off guys in the open at shorter ranges, as say part of an urban battle or an ambush. They're still better than the average spray and pray AK wielding guy. You'll also often find marksmen with SVDs in platoon HQs, they're not to great, but they do help provide covering fire.

I've actually been having some trouble with my snipers recently. If I move them they're liable to be spotted first and killed. if I find a vantage point for them and sit them in place they're liable to not see anybody worth shooting. This is a Blue-offensive problem only with a stationary red force. If blue is defending and Red is on the move my sniper will happily expend all his ammo on priority targets. Goodbye HMGs, officers and RCCL guns! :)

Isn't that how it should be though MikeyD? I've found the AI (red) pick out snipers and artillery observers first and foremost, with things like those artillery transporters a close second (if you are stupid enough to drive them up to the front). But I am still having some trouble with my little dudes. I can only really use them out in the open, otherwise they appear to have obstructed views, even if I can see the enemy positions from their line of sight.

Can one resupply snipers with 50 cal? I note that normal ammo just says "small arms" - which would include 50 cal(?) I think. But, is one supposed to use 7.76? And I read something about the Brits using special 83mm(?) in some rifles. What about that ammo?

You would think that snipers would be much stealthier/more elite than regular inf. But, as mentioned earlier they die quickly if you use em like recon and move em into harm's way. Did BFC downgrade them so that they were not too effective on the battlefield vs some US doctrine or something?

Similar with recon troops. They don't seem any better at it than regular inf. It makes CMSF counterintuitive.

Isn't that how it should be though MikeyD?

Oh, believe me, I am not using the phrase "I've been having trouble" as a synonym for "There's a problem with the game." I mean more "The game is having a problems with my crappy generalship". :D

No sniper ammo resupply - though I have imagined that I saw a HQ unit with a Brit L96A1 use acquired 7.62.

Hmm whilst on the subject of rifles and ammo I noticed my teams swapping frequently from the rifle to the seconday weapons and more. Are these guys 'Uber' or what? I saw this sniper pick up a rocket, fire it at a structure, kill the opposing force, calmly change his weapon back to the rifle, aim, fire AND take out a hmg team, all within the same turn. THEN he picked up an AK-47 and started to spray some unidentified team in the building opposite!!! I mean wtf? I've never seen anything as detailed in a CM game. It reminded me of the old Close Combat days.. Probably slightly unrealistic, but tremendous fun all the same!

Actually, equally, I've lost a dozen or so men to one or two single Syrians which is highly frustrating, but probably just down to bad tactics on my part.

Snipers really need their own movement command. Call it ultra sneaky or something. The problem is in real life it probably takes them an hour to do a hundred yards. If scenario designers want snipers to be effective on the offensive in the game they should really give them their own set up zones in advantageous places. It would reflect an entire miserable night of crawling into position.