China shows off her new toys

gunnergoz

Photos of China's 60th anniversary parade:

http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/1009/news/amphibious_armor_011009.html

type_99_tank.jpg

amphibious_assault_guns_china.jpg

Video here:

Its clear they are flexing their muscles and enjoying what they see in the mirror. The technology may not be 1st class yet, but it sure seems to be a major jump over what they had 10 years ago or even 5. (And I know, it is only a parade and even Mussolini knew enough to run the same tanks around the Colosseum 3 or 4 times to increase their apparent numbers.)

But, realistically and given enough time, this sort of force will be a real challenge for the neighbors to deal with. We're not talking about infantry hordes any more, it seems. And they might even have the economy to support a major mechanized force. As for the fuel? I don't know enough to even guess. But their neighbors, the Russians, seem to have plenty. Hmm, must make some folks in the Kremlin a bit nervous to see this and think of the ramifications.

No matter how you look at it, it does change things somewhat to have China as a major industrialized nation. Can global power be next? Superpower status? I'll let more informed minds answer that. I'm going to go enjoy some scotch...

Russia possesses about 50 nuclear warheads per one Chinese, so I doubt Beijing dares to seriously contemplate anything like a deep offensive into Siberia nor are Russians too worried. Discounting nuclear deterrence, the Siberian oil fields aren't even close to the Chinese borders, so it'd be impossible to just march there and start pumping oil to the Central Kingdom, due to the lack of infrastructure for that (either for supporting armies or getting the oil home). Very small forces would be able to hold up a big invasion there, much like the Sino-Vietnamese war of 1979.

But I'm sure the both parties have some really interesting military plans locked away in their GHQ safes. Like the Canadian plans for invading USA in 1930's. And it'd certainly make for an interesting scenario for CMSF 2. :)

I personally don't see China as a threat so I am happy to see them modernise. They will undoubtably become the biggest power in the region but they will be counterbalenced by India, Russia and the USA.

Besides that, they have never shown any interest in conquering anything they don't regard as part of China anyway so we won't (IMO) see any military imperialism from them into anything but a few islands. Taiwan is an issue but hopefully it can be resolved peacefully. Chinas force projection abilities are limited at the moment so it certainly won't be solved militarily any time soon.

China lacks a nuclear deterrent?! They have 200 odd nukes! No country on earth is willing to take those nukes on the chin in a scrap. Having thousands of the things is just showing off.

Look at how everyone is bending over backwards to please North Korea, and we aren't sure if they have their nukes available as a usable weapon!

Not only do they have 200 nukes, they also have the means to deliver them to anywhere on the planet. That is a very credible nuclear deterrent.

Im not sure they are allied with Russia either. They share many interests but not to the extent that they are allied.

Nuclear deterrent tends to be relative. It's like if you had a pistol and I had a Kalashnikov, do you think your deterrent worked on me? Maybe, but you would be the underdog.

Russia and China are currently acting as strategic allies or some such, ie. they have deemed that they have more common interests than common conflicts, and more to gain from good relations than from rivalry, so they rather act in unison in UN and elsewhere. How deep that mutual understanding would go if poop hit the fan, is hard to tell. Militarily they're non-aligned.

I like how they put the battering ram from a Greek galley onto the SP artillery, so that they are of some use after running out of ammo.

I believe that's the amphibious ZBD2000 variant with a 105mm gun that can fire Sabots, HE, HEAT and ATGM's. Battering ram actually is a really useful addition on a light tank, now if on the IFV variant they also had oars (and a drummer) in case they ran out of gas...