WW2 Recce photos

SlowMotion

Interesting. Very good photos.

Anybody know what the deal is with the fins on the spinners of the Ju? I've never seen that before.

Michael

Good question - I've never seen it either, Michael. You know, the only thing I can think of is a generator power spinner...but why coaxial with the main prop? Seems unduly complicated to me.

Richard Stankiewicz, two_av8(@)hotmail.com, 13.11.2007The vanes are part of the constant speed feature of the propeller. The fins are attached to the spinner and is free to spin,the spinner is attached to a small oil pump.

The oil pressure adjusts propeller pitch, if the load on the propeller increases ie during climpb, the pressure falls and the pitch is decreased (fine pitch). Hope this helps

an alternative answer : )

From another message board, "the little spinner in the picture above is mounted on a free-turning bearing and is of a known, fixed pitch. When the aircraft is stopped, the little prop on the front is not spinning, and the propeller is in fine pitch. As the airspeed rises, the little prop starts turning and the pitch begins to get more coarse by means of a cam. There is a design speed for the prop and, as long as you don't exceed design speed and power rating, the unit above results in a more-or-less constant speed propeller without the complexity of a pitch control knob in the cockpit."

Kind of a dynamic pitch control mechanism.

I am glad to have cleared that up : )

OK, that explains it. I was at one time a trained airframe & powerplant mechanic and learned how the US P&W/Bendix prop speed mechanisms work instead - they are internal to the big dome you see on the center of US props of the era and are dependent upon centrifugal force working upon two counterweights. This German type is a new wrinkle for me and apparently the design did not survive the war or if it did, it was not in common use when I went to aviation tech school.

the design did not survive the war or if it did, it was not in common use when I went to aviation tech school.

It did survive the war. The Argus AS-411 engine was manufactured during and after the war by Renault (though under a different name.) The French used it for a couple of light transport/trainer airframes.

The Fw-189 is one of my favourites. Been fascinated by it ever since seeing it in the Airfix catalogue as a kid. I always wondered what it would be like sitting a few hundred feet above the Red Army is a huge glass box!

Amazing how people are amazed by the photo quality from WW2 - do ppl think they are still taking shots with chemical flashes by uncapping the lens then??!! :/

As an aside, the rear gun of the Fw has an interesting mount - it is offset in the glassed tail-cone, so to get different angles of fire the whole tail-cone rotates - eg in this photo from wiki you can see it in a different position

It did survive the war. The Argus AS-411 engine was manufactured during and after the war by Renault (though under a different name.) The French used it for a couple of light transport/trainer airframes.

The Fw-189 is one of my favourites. Been fascinated by it ever since seeing it in the Airfix catalogue as a kid. I always wondered what it would be like sitting a few hundred feet above the Red Army is a huge glass box!

We had a lot of sample engines to play with but no foreign ones, unfortunately. This was in the US of course. In the 1980's they were still teaching us about wood and fabric repairs, more so that fiberglass and composites.

Amazing how people are amazed by the photo quality from WW2 ...

Yep. There are some odd comments in that linked thread. This one is my, er, favourite:

That kind of architecture in that day and age should say something against the untermenschen propaganda. What a tragedy.

Some people just can't help themselves.

Amazing how people are amazed by the photo quality from WW2 - do ppl think they are still taking shots with chemical flashes by uncapping the lens then??!! :/

Cameras, especially German 35mm cameras, were good to excellent (if you were willing to pay for the quality), but good film was a trifle hard to come by in many countries. Film chemistry, particularly color film, has made great strides in the last 40 years. And the ability to produce inexpensive aspherical lenses has meant the pictures it is possible to get with small, lightweight cameras has vastly improved.

Michael

What amazes me is when runs of photos like these are found intact or relatively so...clearly, someone's photo album or possibly a roll of negatives has been located. After the chaos of war and the postwar diaspora of people and rebuilding, the fact that these sorts of collections are still around to be found is what I find a wonderful surprise.

Hey, every couple of decades or so someone comes across a stash of Confederate money. And maybe two or three times a century a diary from the Revolutionary War. People hang on to anything that might have meaning for them, even where they forget where they put it. It's then left up to chance for someone else to stumble across these valuables and bring them to the light of day.

Michael

Hey, every couple of decades or so someone comes across a stash of Confederate money. And maybe two or three times a century a diary from the Revolutionary War. People hang on to anything that might have meaning for them, even where they forget where they put it. It's then left up to chance for someone else to stumble across these valuables and bring them to the light of day.

Michael

And in the case of German stuff, it was more often than usual hidden away after the war out of shame/humiliation/deliberately wanting to forget. The subsequent generations didn't really want to know what grandad did in the war. Even the tendency of Germans to stay put in one residence for their whole lives contributes to this stuff turning up in the attaic decades later.

Years ago a friend of mine was going through the garage of a man who'd passed away and his wife was selling off everything in the garage. He looked up and saw a tubular gray affair suspended across two attic joists. He recognized it for what it was and asked the lady if she'd take $10 for that rusty piece of pipe. She said sure. He walked out with a WW2 German hand-held rangefinder in nice condition. I saw it myself and had no reason to disbelieve how he got a hold of it. But I'm not sure I respected his method; although the seller was responsible for knowing her property's value, I can't help but feel he took advantage of a widow's grief. I stopped hanging out with him after that.

Years ago a friend of mine was going through the garage of a man who'd passed away and his wife was selling off everything in the garage. He looked up and saw a tubular gray affair suspended across two attic joists. He recognized it for what it was and asked the lady if she'd take $10 for that rusty piece of pipe. She said sure. He walked out with a WW2 German hand-held rangefinder in nice condition. I saw it myself and had no reason to disbelieve how he got a hold of it. But I'm not sure I respected his method; although the seller was responsible for knowing her property's value, I can't help but feel he took advantage of a widow's grief. I stopped hanging out with him after that.

*shrug* He saved her from selling it for only $5 dollars to some guy who would then just dust it off and auction it on eBay for $500+.