The magic of vanishing account

So yesterday I decided to register an account here and ask a couple of questions (about the campaign and fanmade mission recommendations)

They were probably answered so fast that the local customer service thought there is no need for them to take so much of the precious server space and deleted both the topic and the account.

If that's the case may I have some of the answers, like the one to why the deletion took place, back?

Very true. Deletion only happens with the subject matter is in gross (and I mean super, duper, gross) violation of the Forum Rules. I can only think of two posts I deleted:

1. an Australian expat German offspring neo-nazi posting some rather grotesque images of Jews being executed in WW2 after he got tired of being on the losing end of a debate.

2. some hacker who posted info about where to find some of our software in pirated form (before our current eLicense protection system).

Maybe there were a couple others, but if so they were inline with the two above. So other than a server screwup (first one to kill posts since The Great Forum Crash) posts are not deleted. Inappropriate links and images are sometimes removed, but the posts remain. And we document whatever action we take so nobody has to guess.

Steve

Yes, the General Discussion forum is purged periodically. By definition it's an off-topic forum so nothing valuable is lost. The main reason for the purge is to reduce the size of the forum. The last time it happened we did it so we could migrate the forum over to our new forum database. The choice was to either delete the GF or to not migrate ANY threads.

Couldn't you have deleted all the Peng threads instead? I understand your willingness to keep it as a place where all new users can feel welcome, but I'd estimate ~60% of posts on this board go to Cesspool and maybe 10% to GDF. Alternatively you could charge a sewage fee from its users. Although I don't know if they have anything to pay with..?

Couldn't you have deleted all the Peng threads instead? I understand your willingness to keep it as a place where all new users can feel welcome, but I'd estimate ~60% of posts on this board go to Cesspool and maybe 10% to GDF. Alternatively you could charge a sewage fee from its users. Although I don't know if they have anything to pay with..?

I'm in complete agreement with that. You should delete the Peng challenge threads about 20 minutes after you close them. They are absolutely useless and date back to a time that most guys know or care nothing about. In fact I know some guys who only come here to Peng and are disinterested in anything else.

Deleting individual threads before the migration was impractical. Deleting the GF was a one-click affair. Also, in terms of space saved, all the Pend threads combined do not take up even close to the space that the GF does (or, well, did).

To be honest, personally I couldn't care less if we removed the Peng threads or even prohibited them in the future, so *maybe* we'll do just that the next time we need to do some cleanups...

Martin

Wait, guys, I was only kidding... think of the leakages that would result..!

First they came for the General Discussion Forum, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a General.

Then they came for the Peng Thread, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Cesspoolian.

Then they came for the New Zealanders, and I didn't speak up because they were such a boorish lot, every single one of them.

Then they came to take Mr. Emrys to an asylum for the elderly, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a raving demented supercentenarian.

Then they came for me, and by that time the parable was getting tired so no one spoke up for me.

There has been no deletion, not deliberately anyway. We had some server maintenance yesterday which unfortunately has led to a bunch of posts from yesterday disappear. Please post your questions again.

Here I thought it was the big Normandy update with the new forum and screenshots. :(

Heh... yeah, deleting the Peng Thread would be like throwing all the lunatics out of the asylum to save a few bucks in the social services budget! Having had to walk around San Francisco in the early 90s after they did it... let's just say it's not a good idea. Either that or having a guy with Tourette Syndrome spit on me and call me Snow Bunny was some moron's idea of a great way to attract more business to the downtown district :)

And when we did delete the General Forum it was a complete removal or lack of migration, depending on how one looks at it. It wasn't a selective deletion based on something someone said or did.

Steve

Heh... yeah, deleting the Peng Thread would be like throwing all the lunatics out of the asylum to save a few bucks in the social services budget! Having had to walk around San Francisco in the early 90s after they did it... let's just say it's not a good idea. Either that or having a guy with Tourette Syndrome spit on me and call me Snow Bunny was some moron's idea of a great way to attract more business to the downtown district :)

And when we did delete the General Forum it was a complete removal or lack of migration, depending on how one looks at it. It wasn't a selective deletion based on something someone said or did.

Steve

I dont Peng and so never usually visit the threads. However, I just did and found a few surprises.

1. I still dont like it.

2. No one with under about 200 posts seems to go there.

3. The most interesting thing I got was that there are guys in there with literally 1000's of posts that Ive never heard of. Seemingly they only use the site to Peng.

And no, I dont really object to it, they are simply observations on it. If it keeps all the guys that do it from spamming the site its a good thing.