Unit selection

I have been an enthusiastic CMx1 player, and when CMSF was announced I immediately ordered the DeLuxe edition. However, I was disappointed with the bugs at the time and lost interest in the game.

Some time ago I visited this forum again and I saw the good reviews of the British Module, so I downloaded the latest patches and started up the basic game. I was really happy, and a few days ago I bought the Marine and British modules.

So, after this introduction I would like to fall into whining forum mode and describe a feature that I am missing :-).

When I have some groups in different areas of the battlefield, I have to watch each of them in the replay - I play WeGo, but the issue would be even stronger in realtime I guess - in order to see if something interesting happened there. And sometimes I forget a group, and some time later I discover I ignored an important event. Also, navigating back and forth between units can be a bit tedious when they are at a distance.

So what I think would be really useful is a popup screen with your entire force in little icons in an organised way, where you can select a unit. The screen would also show in some visual way whether the unit had spotted or fired at enemy units, or taken casualties in the last minute.

This way you could see in a flash what units to investigate, and what units to just ignore, and it would make navigating among your units much easier.

The screen could be activated by hitting 'space' while no unit is selected, for example.

A feature like this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find any references.

You've caught up in time to hone your skills prior to the arrival of the NATO Module which features the KNLA and I'm sure will be of great interest.

As to the feature you mention - variations on this theme have done the rounds with the most common being to request a flashing text in a distinctive colour showing which units are in contact. Is it going to happen? I'm not sure.

Excellent!! I'm glad you gave the game a second chance. With v1.20, it is really shining.

What you're referring to has been brought up in http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84655&highlight=what+just+happened

Note the author (cough, cough).

Please note that BF.C _has_ tried to address this. In the release notes for v1.20 (which is what the current version is, included as part of CMBF), BF.C has made a change. If a unit takes a casualty, its icon flashes. Now, the flash is a 3 second pulsing green which is the same pulse when you select a unit. So, zoom out, and play the replay.

(Obvious shortcomings: if the unit is suppressed due to incoming fire, you don't know about it. Also, I'm not sure if a yellow-base casualty will cause the pulse. So, you still don't know about INCOMING fire. Nor do you know if your unit spots a new enemy and fires on it... And, finally, since the pulse duration is LESS than the incremental fast-forward duration, clicking the ">>" icon during playback can cause you to miss the pulse entirely. (">>"= 5 seconds, pulse = 3 seconds). BUT, it is an improvement over nothing.)

Play and enjoy,

Ken

One feature I recently discovered, since I'm too lazy to look at the controls menu long enough to remember what all the controls are, is the ability to CTRL+click a location on the map to instantly move the camera to that location. Previously I'd just slide the camera around whenever I wanted to see something on the other side of the map, like I'm inside some kind of invisible airplane.

Edit:

Also, I'm not sure if a yellow-base casualty will cause the pulse

It doesn't.