It ain't half hot mum

Well, that's probably the best result I've ever seen for this mission. You were SO CLOSE to triggering the AI surrender and if you'd gotten that, with your Friendly casualties, that would have given you a Total British Victory. Of course, you doubled the length of the scenario so that would help quite a bit. :D

I'll have a look at this one again later this week as it sounds like a tweak is needed to restore the original balance. I might have to undo the Brits' at-start Fatigue setting as most start out Tired already.

Just finished this mission in v1.21. Not the first time I've played it, so I didn't have to waste time finding out what didn't work so much, but I managed to force a Syrian surrender in 1h 35 min. All Brit units started at rested, rather than tired (using the version that came with the module - maybe you changed it since then). The extra tiredness wasn't too much of a factor - I made it to the edge of the town at about the 1 hour mark (going up the hill was hard work). Using 'move' to get everywhere rather than 'quick' followed by a rest was quicker (finally making 'move' useful for something), and only using 'quick' when I needed to cross open ground in a hurry or get somewhere rapidly for tactical reasons.

I wouldn't say that the extra tiredness cost me any more men; that was mere tactical ineptitude :)

IAHHM_AAR.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice result. I usually get a surrender too but much closer to the end than that. I expect if you'd taken another 15-20 minutes, you'd have reduced your casualties and got at least a Minor Victory.

This is what I'm seeing on my current half hearted attempt at a playthrough (no time for a proper session). Since BLUE's force takes some time to assemble fully on the battlefield I am in no hurry to get the at-start platoons into forward positions and so I walk them there. I usually place them at start either on the right or the left end of the set up zone to avoid walking them through a lot of wheatfield and that helps a lot. Once into the orchards, they can move forward carefully until they start exposing enemy MGs and then, the battle commences...slowly.

Since my Harrier has just arrived, I guess I'm about 40 minutes or so into it and I've pretty much cleared out the central yard and making efforts to clear out the yards on the north and south edges. I reckon that's another 10-15 minutes worth of movement and that means I'll start my assault on Block C at around the half way mark. Just like I used to do it when I was playtesting it.

The BIG mistake you can make in this mission is to use the FAST command or QUICK too often. Until you're ready to attack the main objectives, there's no need to hurry.

The BIG mistake you can make in this mission is to use the FAST command or QUICK too often. Until you're ready to attack the main objectives, there's no need to hurry.

Absolutely. Never use fast. Only use quick in exposed areas when receiving fire, or if you need a unit somewhere in a hurry to support the fighting. I did everything else with 'move'.

Mind you, I never use 'fast' at all in any conditions; I've never yet noticed a situation where the speed benefit over 'quick' is worth the extra fatigue.

But I think someone coming to this scenario the first time is going to run out of time. My first time through it took me a long time to clear the yard and get across the river. Now I know what works and what doesn't, I can do it much more quickly - getting units where they will need to be straight away rather than blundering into a problem and then maneouvering the reserve in support. But then, I doubt many people have won this scenario on their first attempt anyway, extra heat exhaustion or not. It certainly kicked my ass twice since the module came out, before getting the draw on this 3rd attempt.

Mind you, I never use 'fast' at all in any conditions; I've never yet noticed a situation where the speed benefit over 'quick' is worth the extra fatigue.

The speed difference is a bit larger with the latest (I think) patch. It's pretty useful for darting from cover to cover, but I only really use it to cross short distances in urban fighting. It's saved a few troopers from getting hit crossing streets and such, if the distance is short enough (or the enemy far enough away) you can get from A to B before any taking any effective fire or sometimes even before they can get a shot off. Not to mention units moving "fast" are much more resistant to suppression, it's also good for hauling butt out of a bad situation to nearby cover.

• 1 year later...

I am a couple of years late in trying this mission!! What can I say? Kudos to the designer. I am 1.10 hr in the action with 50mns more to go and I have just managed to establish secure positions across the the bridges. I have lost only 10 men so far and all enemy MGs seems silenced. I need to organise my final advance and the clock is ticking.

A great mission.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured out how to get the GMGs to reload from the WMIKs. The WMIKs have the GMG ammo split between ready and reserve ammo. Once the GMGs are out of ready ammo it seems as though they automatically take some more from the reserve stash although this takes a little longer. So all you have to do is put your dismounted crew back into their WMIK (it seems as though it has to be their own to work) and they will automatically re-load.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice scenario. Played it a few times. Took no casualties and got a Total Victory on the last playthrough (I play RT Elite).

While somewhat gamey, I used the transports that start on map at the start of the game as taxis. Dump out the usual occupants and you can very nicely get a Brit squad into the vehicle. Once the reinforcements arrive, you got enough transports to move an entire platoon at a time. Big note: the transports are not AFVs so don't even try to use them as such. Just use them to move your forces quickly from one location to another without the fatigue factor adversely affecting your troops.

Using said transports, you should be to get a platoon of infantry across the wadi within 30 minutes of game start on the left flank. I usually move the entire company up the left flank, along with the Jackals in a big left sweep. I can clear the high ground and the central objective within one hour of game start.

I get a Total Victory easy enough in the remaining time by methodically working into the final two objectives.

Time isn't an issue if you go up the left flank. I have walked infantry down slope to the wadi without being engaged effectively by the enemy. If the enemy does engage your advancing troops, it is with his HMGs and you want to find them. When an hostile HMG opens up, have your troops go to ground and engage the HMG position with mortars. Soon enough, the enemy will run out of HMGs, making your advance easier and allowing your Jackals to get in the fight without risking get shot up.

In all playthroughs, I never felt pinched for time. There is lots of dead ground and covered approaches to move troops without exposing them to undue risk. The extreme heat is more the limiting factor on your manueuver rather than the enemy himself.

• 2 months later...

I had been wonder about use tank/engineer armor with bulldozer blade to raze building down or use tank with siege gun to blew building up. I sometime do that in WWII game with Stumriger with 380mm gun. Yes, I should worry about enemy with anti-armor weapon if I try use bulldozer blade. I hadn't buy CBSF yet as I should let you know. I am still so tempt to buy it as it look much better and more challenge.