Fog graphics with Vista/NVIDIA card

got the patch, it works however I can't see any fog on maps that have fog.. I tried ctrl+w a few times to see if the setting was off but it wasn't.

I've read in the manual that certain ATI cards don't have something called the fog table emulation enabled.. is this the same for NVIDIA cards now too? Or is this an issue created by the CMBB 1.04 patch?

I'm using a GeForce 9600M GT and the driver version is 8.15.11.8603 which is the newest version available now? Also have Vista 64-bit. Can't find anywhere on the nvidia control panel to enable said emulation table so I'm thinking nvidia removed it completely

Anyone got any ideas or am I sol with fog?

This appears to be an issue with either newer drivers and/or newer videocards (8 series and newer). It might come back, but I'm not sure. It's quite possible that the the 8 series and newer cards don't have any support for fog-tables and thus no driver update will bring back fog. I don't know on that count.

Interestingly enough, ATI fixed the fog-table support awhile back (late 6.x series Catalysts ?). This worked for video cards that were 9500 and newer. However I don't know the status of fog tables with the newer DirectX 10 compatible videocards (Radeon 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx series).

OK, I did a quick test using a GeForce 8800GT under Windows XP SP3. Using the 178.24 drivers, fog was present. So my earlier guess about the 8 series hardware not supporting fog is incorrect. However I guess most Nvidia owners have moved on to the 180 series of drivers, which at some point don't support fog tables properly. This trend may continue with newer drivers.

No setting was necessary in the 3D Settings to allow fog-tables to work. However it is possible that Vista-compatible drivers may not give the same results (DirectX 10 and all).

Doing an Advanced Search for drivers (Beta & WHQL) on Nvidia's website, the earliest drivers listed for the 9400GT under Vista 32-bit is 180.43 Beta or 180.48 WHQL. I'm not sure why Nvidia doesn't list some of the pre-180 series drivers for some of their GPUs.

Looking on Guru3D they list the 178.24 driver for Vista 32-bit and it mentions specific support for the 9400GT.

Forceware 178.24 WHQL Vista 32-bit Driver

As you guessed however, there's a very good chance that the DirectX 10-oriented routines within the driver don't support fog-tables. It might be worth trying, but it may do nothing different from your current set.

malfuriouspete - you may want to try some of the earlier drivers yourself, if you care to experiment. If you're running other games, then an older driver might not be the best unless your desire for fog in CM trumps them.

As I mentioned above, DirectX 10 routines in the Vista drivers may not support fog-tables, so going back to a pre-180 series driver may not help. But if you want to experiment:

Forceware Notebook 179.48 Beta Vista 64-bit Driver

There is the possibility that your laptop may not support the Nvidia Reference drivers. If you're lucky it does, otherwise you're left to whatever your notebook manufacturer hosts on their support site (which may not include any pre-180 series drivers).

• 4 weeks later...