Not dead; everything went tilt!

Apologies for derailing this excellent thread, but this boggles my mind. The US military uses the metric system while the general population uses the US system of measurement which is derived from the Imperial system? Is this a conspiracy by producers of measuring devices to increase profits?

I think it's more of an attempt by the nation's educators to keep their populace thinking in base 12, 16, 24, 60 - anything other than ten (which is the result of the first conspiracy, and not about the number of digits on our hands and feet).:D

Get well soon John.

I think it's more of an attempt by the nation's educators to keep their populace thinking in base 12, 16, 24, 60 - anything other than ten (which is the result of the first conspiracy, and not about the number of digits on our hands and feet).:D

Get well soon John.

Well, if God had wanted us to use count in tens, he would have...wait a minute, is this a trick of some kind?

NASA criticised for sticking to imperial units

NASA recently calculated that converting the relevant drawings, software and documentation to the "International System" of units (SI) would cost a total of $370 million – almost half the cost of a 2009 shuttle launch, which costs a total of $759 million. "We found the cost of converting to SI would exceed what we can afford," says Hautaluoma.

but the moon will be metric, much to the disappointment of the cheesemongers branch of the metric marytyrs.

_1118558_martyrs.300.jpg

In the American grocery, it is lbs, ozs, gals, quarts, pints and count.

Look again. On most labels the measures are given in both English and metric. I may be mistaken, but it's possible that wines and liquors are only sold in metric quantities now. Instead of fifths, we now get 750 ml bottles.

Michael

Look again. On most labels the measures are given in both English and metric. I may be mistaken, but it's possible that wines and liquors are only sold in metric quantities now. Instead of fifths, we now get 750 ml bottles.

Michael

I don't read most labels - I am in the Farmer's Market and the Produce section, as well as the Meat Department.

The biggest change in my area is dual language - everything seems to be in both English and Spanish.

I looked - processed food is in both, on the labels - at Food Lion, the on shelf labels gives comparison priocing in Imperials - like 16.9c per oz for this dressing vs 23.8c per OZ for that one.

But, if you buy measured goods like veggies, it is still Imperial in my parts.

Wonder what it is near Kettler? Drams per Quatloo?

The biggest change in my area is dual language - everything seems to be in both English and Spanish.

Yeah, we've had that for a while too. Surely that is a nation-wide phenomenon.

I looked - processed food is in both, on the labels - at Food Lion, the on shelf labels gives comparison priocing in Imperials - like 16.9c per oz for this dressing vs 23.8c per OZ for that one.

Again, same here.

Michael