New Nvidia Beta Driver Fixes OpenGL

Well at least for running the CMx1 games, since that's all we care about around here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.38_beta.html

This is great news for us who have Vista and Nvidia DX10 cards. No more using 2x AA just to get it to display properly with bad performance. I just tested 190.38 out on both CMAK+CMBB, both work fine with AA and AF jacked up to 16x. Performance is back to normal too.

Let me know how it works out for the rest of you guys. ;)

Lol oops, I wasn't sure. I assumed it because of this line from the release notes, "Adds support for OpenGL 3.1" and also that it works now too. :)

They only said they "add support" for OGL 3.1. They didn't say "add working support for OGL 3.1".

Man, NVidia's driver quality was so good a couple year back, and basically for what, a whole decade? And now it's all crap that either doesn't run at all or has a bazillion of features broken.

In their defense, cards and drivers have to provide more features now but still, a lot of basic stuff breaks now.

The results from Vista have always been all over the map. A small number couldn't play at all, some could play with major performance hits, and most appeared to have no significant problems. This is not surprising to us since that tends to be the case with drivers.

As some of you may recall we had a Hell of a time trying to isolate and work around various ATI and nVidia bugs when CM:SF first came out. Some people had serious problems, while others with apparently the same configurations had none. VERY frustrating from our standpoint because we're not supposed to be the victims of inconsistent behavior! If we conform to their APIs it should work on every card which uses it all the time. If we don't it shouldn't run at all for anybody with that card. Unfortunately, as Redwolf pointed out, that's not been the case. And yes, we agree it has gotten worse in recent years.

In most cases we just had to wait until they fixed the problems because we couldn't even figure out what was wrong because the bugs were theirs and extremely low level. If any of you have a particular dislike of being blamed for the mistakes of others, I advise you to not get into computer game programming :D

Steve

Does anyone know if this driver is good for the notebook version of the 8400 GS? I see the GeForce 8400 GS listed in the supported cards listing. But the GeForce 8400M GS is not. I'm not sure if nVidia normally lists these two cards separately or not. But I would think support for one does not imply support for the other?

It will be. NVidia only makes one driver package for all current cards.

For notebooks under Windoze you are supposed to go to the notebook vendor and the driver installer might **** with you on this, but a quick google for the registry key to force it is all it takes. Or installing Linux which doesn't do that in the first place :)

MeatEtr:

I have 9800GT + Vista 32Bit Sp1. I have no idea why it doesn't work for me.

Yeah that sucks man. I'd try fiddling around with the settings. In the Global settings, change Texture filtering quality to "High Quality", I think the default is "Quality". Also, I have AA and AF maxed at 16x. Good luck with it.

I just tested these and wonder of wonders CMBB and CMAK work fantastic!, ie no slow downs at all even with the highest settings, until I begin panning around and I get a hard lock, each and every time the three times I tried. I experimented with MeatEtr's settings however nothing changed, hard lock - "Display driver nvlddmkm has stopped responding ...". I have Vista 64 and a 9800GTX+. Oh well almost there it seems but not yet for me.

Well, I think think this is good for us.

A hang bug will probably affect everybody and has a much better chance than a bug only affecting a DX5 year 2000 game.

I've put the beta drivers through pretty extensive paces and I haven't seen hangs anywhere but in CMx1 (and blanking, flickering, 2D artifacts, etc). I haven't tried any other old DX5 games (though I have an old copy of Close Combat lying around that I've been meaning to install, so maybe I'll fire that up) but I suspect it's an issue with the same broken Nvidia code path.