CM Normandy

I'm wondering how the landscape will work will be done for the game as well. Conjecture is entertaining.

Since St. Lo is in the span of time we are dealing with, I hope we will have the ability to do some industrial and multi-story buildings. The cathedral will be an interesting challenge. I suppose the minaret-style roof top might enable different sizes and styles of churches. Village type buildings will obviously be available. Some type of shop facades are good to have. A proper fully destroyed building seems necessary- the pile of rubble usually is nearly a story high for a multi story building. The flat destroyed tiles for buildings will hopefully change. See St. Lo picture below for reference.

Flavor objects will probably include barrels, as they seem to be the stock in trade of all games with a working scenario editor. I hope for a few cars (smashed up and not), piles of spent shell (artillery) casings, wrecked artillery pieces and the standard Normandy stuff (dead cows, etc).

Trees and grass are said to be improved over SF, good there. Hedgerows seem complicated, but I can see how they could be done with the new editor tools. The trick will be to get sunken roads with two hedgerows alongside, and to be able to get decent LOS spots for ambush possibilities.

As far as bunkers and set defenses go, the stock ones seem to make it into all BFC releases (bunkers, mines etc), but I'd like to have a more hastily constructed version of a bunker available. A mortar pit would be nice, but I suppose that can be done in the editor with sandbags and a depression. Wire seems necessary.

What have I missed?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1984-043-03%2C_Frankreich%2C_St._L%C3%B4%2C_Zerst%C3%B6rungen.jpg

WOW ! you could see 800 meters in CMx2 through wooded vegitation. In RL I can barely see that far in the open, and taking several seconds to a minute to spot someone at that.

In CMx1, I was even suprised there was LOS past one tile worth of woods or Forest, or two tiles of Scattered trees, and spotting a target instantly.

I really hope things change in CM-Normandy and beyond.

Do explain to me why one apparent freak occurrence of which no details are known is suddenly promoted to the standard by which we judge the CMx2 spotting.

It is certainly not the norm of what I encounter during my CMSF games.

Do explain to me why one apparent freak occurrence of which no details are known is suddenly promoted to the standard by which we judge the CMx2 spotting.

It is certainly not the norm of what I encounter during my CMSF games.

Thank you, Elmar

Just wondering how hedgerows will be handled. Will there be a special tile for hedgerows or will it be a combination of hedges and elevation? I guess it will be impassable to vehicles. Will the allies get special hedgerow cutter tanks to deal with them?

yea, after all we still dont saw a screenshot of it.

i guess the example was a bit extragged to make a proper point ;)

Oh, I certainly wouldn't suggest Rustman misrepresented what he saw.

But we don't know what exactly he was looking at either.

How dense were the trees and of what type? Was there undergrowth? Who was doing the spotting and how sure are you it wasn't somebody else? Were the trees freakishly aligned just so it allowed a LOS to that spot? We just don't know what happened.

And even if everything checks out and the LOS shouldn't have happened but somehow did, it's nothing which is typical. It seems to me it would be so freakishly rare that unless we come across it more often it can be disregarded as an outlier.

Steve,

see how I stick up for CMSF? Where's my Tracer Bounce? :D