Roving flavor items

I was experimenting with map elements yesterday trying to create some defensive positions using terrain and flavor items.

In one instance, I placed a single medium crater and surrounded it with "sacks" in an attempt to mimic a "fighting hole" for a couple of soldiers to defend.

Unfortunately, every time I would start the game, the "sacks" would constantly shift from the placement I had given them on the map. And every time I restarted the game, the shift would be different, and seemingly, random.

Are there some terrain items and/or types which cause this to happen? What gives?

Saw this with a scenario I designed awhile back. Basically I had a crater placed near a road and then put a destroyed AAV next to it. Then noticed that everytime I opened the battle it would move. I think the craters are randomly created in the 8x8 square for every battle. Just a guess though.

Steve

I just tested this out actually and from a few runs I determined that sandbags will not block LOS. On the other hand they do provide cover and troops will line up along a line of sandbags and actively seek defense behind them. They do not provide as much protection as a trench but of course they can be combined with one to make excellent protection from small arms.

After 5 minutes of fire from a PKM from 150m the syrian engineer squad in the open was wiped out, the one behind sandbags took 3/5 casualties, the one in a trench took 1/5 casualties and the one in a trench + sandbags no casualties and actually killed a PKM gunner by mistake!

The engineers where fanatic to make sure they didn't rout.

I might start to use sandbags more often :)

Edit: It turns out that trenches seem to reduce the spotting abilities of the units inside them. I started testing with an engineer squad in a trench vs one behind sandbags at 100m and the sandbags engineers would spot the opponent first, establish fire superiority and wipe out the enemy 4 times in a row. They even nearly beat 2 squads in trenches!

Just a little fact I didn't know before today :)

hcrof, excellent test! I wonder if OTHER flavor items have unexpected characteristics as well?

Thanks,

Ken

I don't think this is unexpected; I'm pretty sure this is how flavor objects are supposed to work: they provide cover but not concealment. Which, agreed, sounds weird, but when you think about lamp-posts and such, it makes sense.

Hmmm, admittedly I have not read the manual recently, but I was under the (mis-)impression that flavor objects had NO effect on gameplay. If I'm wrong, cool. If they provide cover based on their size/shape/material, that's another feather in BF.C's cap.

Thanks,

Ken