A worthy foe - The difference between CMSF and CMx1's

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good question though Chad. My hunch is it won't make it this year. Software development always takes longer than predicted.

Major things they had/have to do:

Water

European terrain and buildings

Anti tank guns and on map light artillery pieces.

Troops riding on tanks and halftracks.

on map mortars (yeah we'll get a taste of it with the CMSF Brits but it will require even more work for the WWII stuff).

Anti aircraft fire.

flamethrowers.

hand to hand combat (there would be a tremendous outcry if they didn't include it).

Those are just a few major new features that come to my mind. I'm sure others can think of more.

I dont actually think its about a worthy foe but about the pace of the game. Blue vs Blue would be a perfectly balanced match but I find no joy in it due to the automation and lethality of modern weapons. Its just isnt fun to isntantly kill a tank from 2k with your 120mm robot gun. An Abrams might be a great sight at first but it gets boring after a while. 25mm auto cannons pin and then can vaporize a whole squad in a matter of seconds. Its too black and white for my tastes and pales in comparison with the unpredictability of WW2 combat where you can watch lenghty and gripping tank duels and try really hard to manuever your squads and flank enemy positions. A well positioned MG42 will provide you with a tough tactical problem while now a HMG is just another ready to die target under a rain of rifle grenades, smaw, javelins, and other laser accurate long range weaponry.

Its simply has less depth, like a hollywood block buster compared to a good old film. Its not Battlefront's fault of course. Once we move to Normandy the game will prove its great value and depth.

I agree with you whole heartedly. To me modern warfare is like shooting someone in the back. Too chickenchit to face their opponent eye to eye face to face. Modern warfare has made cowards out of countries. Ahhhh the best days of warfare are gone. Ancient warfare was the greatest and made heroes out of soldiers instead of cowards.

It's a good question though Chad. My hunch is it won't make it this year. Software development always takes longer than predicted.

That has been my impression also, which is why I did not press the subject with Steve. Let me be clear though that I would rather wait for the game, then get it early with bugs and/or missing major features. When it does hit, it will be great, but I would rather wait as long as it takes to get it right and enjoy CM:SF Brits and WitP:AE until then.

The thing about CM is that the player is in command of the Japanese infantry and man for man I would stack the courage of the individual Japanese infantryman up against that of any other nation. Their equipment is a bit sub par and their leadership is probably a little sub par too.

This is getting a bit OT, but the more I study the PTO, the more respect I have for the individual Japanese soldier. While they lacked many things, they did not lack a will to fight and die for their country. How many defenders were left of Tarawa? 16 out of about 5000? That's brutal.

But . . . as you pointed out they were plagued from the start with sub-par equipment, faulty tactics and a terrible strategic sense. After the original surprise attacks in the first six months of the war against even more poorly equipped and lead troops, they had huge setbacks throughout the war. I used to think that Midway was the end of the Japanese. But it was just one battle of many that brought that nation to its knees.

Regardless, the individual soldiers of the IJA or IJN proved themselves time and time again against impossible odds. That indeed demands respect.

I would love to see CM visit the PTO in any of its theater's, but again, I am not holding my breath. BFC saw drops in buyers when they went to the Russian front and to the desert, I can only imagine how large of a drop they would see going to the PTO . . .

This is getting a bit OT, but the more I study the PTO, the more respect I have for the individual Japanese soldier. While they lacked many things, they did not lack a will to fight and die for their country. How many defenders were left of Tarawa? 16 out of about 5000? That's brutal.

But . . . as you pointed out they were plagued from the start with sub-par equipment, faulty tactics and a terrible strategic sense. After the original surprise attacks in the first six months of the war against even more poorly equipped and lead troops, they had huge setbacks throughout the war. I used to think that Midway was the end of the Japanese. But it was just one battle of many that brought that nation to its knees.

Regardless, the individual soldiers of the IJA or IJN proved themselves time and time again against impossible odds. That indeed demands respect.

I would love to see CM visit the PTO in any of its theater's, but again, I am not holding my breath. BFC saw drops in buyers when they went to the Russian front and to the desert, I can only imagine how large of a drop they would see going to the PTO . . .

Yeah, Betio island in the Tarawa Atoll is a good place to start if anyone doubts the tenacity of the Japanese fighting man. Here is a decent write up on the battle for Tarawa for the curious

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003120-00/sec1.htm

I actually thought it was 2600 Japanese defenders against about 35000 marines and army personnel backed up by 3 battleships, 5 cruisers, 9 destroyers, carrier dive bombers, and B24 bombers and the invasion basically turned into a fiasco. We did manage to take the island that's probably small enough to entirely fit on a large CM sized map in about four days though :). On top of that the Japanese are on an island with no possibility of escape or rescue - as in all those island battles. Their offensives in Malaya, Burma, and the Philipines were carried out against numerically larger forces - several times larger. I believe when Singapore surrendered there were more British defenders than Japanese attackers. The problem was that Japanese commanders became a bit too predictable so when the allies adapted the Japanese didn't adapt too. The US had way more firepower to fling around when doing our thing so that didn't make it any easier on them.

But we learned lessons at Tarawa which would prove life saving on less forgiving islands. If we had landed at say Iwo Jima or Okinawa, or even Pelelieu using the same doctrine and tactics used at Tarawa, it would have been a disaster on a grand scale.

Tarawa's near disaster was on a regimental scale. I can only imagine Iwo or Okinawa. Ouch.

Anyways, would love to see portion of the PTO make it to CM, but again, I am not holding my breath. While there are those of us here who would *love* to see it, I think most others want to visit the Eastern front, or other contemporary subjects.

Regarding the Japanese ...

Start here:

http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp

Go to "Military Publications"

Click "Browse"

Click "Browse ONLY Military Publications by historical time period" (down the bottom)

Click "World War II (1939-1945)"

Then browse the list. Also, don't overlook the folders up the top.

Nice find. I downloaded the "Japanese Warfare" manual and will check it out.