GeForce 3 & Mac

Hi all.....within the next 6 weeks i will be buying a G4 based system.

My original intention was to have the Radeon card from Apple installed.

Today i found out that the Radeon is no longer available from Apple as a BTO option. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am now thinking about getting a GeForce 3 card in my system and what i need to know is ....does it support Fog in CM ?

I think i can live with the known blurry text problem for now....but i just LOVE the effects of fog.

Anybody got any information please ? smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

I don't think that there have been any problems with fog-table support in RAVE on the Mac. So, yes you should have fog in CM with the GeForce 3.

However there are other problems that users are having with GeForces on the Mac. I believe one is that the sky texture gets messed up (in terms of stretching it appropriately or something of that nature). You'll probably have to wait for Apple/NVidia to release some newer drivers to fix this problem (the lastest release was early this month, but the problem still exists).

Here's one recent thread about the problem (there are others, the relevant posts should mention the GeForce2 MX on the Mac):

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001692

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I have to tell you that I have contacted nvidia via the phone personally and they don't believe they are at fault or are responsible for this fix. I sent the copy of the e-mail I recieved to Madmatt and BTS tech support which outlined the problem. Madmatt e-mailed me promptly but there did not seem to be any forseable solution in the near future. BTS believes that nVidia has it wrong and that the specific 3d call that they cite as the problem is incorrect. Meaning that nVidia pulled it out of the arses. Unfortunetly as usual this leaves the end user/consumer at a point of frustration like no other. Watching two big companies slug it out as who is to blame while the consumer/end user watches perilessly (note: sarcasm here). I am just frustrated by this because as it is now BTS is not working on this and either is Apple.

Now, I have a Geforce2 MX with a 533 G4 mac. At the time of this computer's release the Ati rage 128 was standard or so I believe, and the Ati Radeon and the Geforce 2 MX were add on options.

At this time, as of Wednesday of this week, Apple has dropped Ati all together from their G4 tower. Apple has made the nVidia Geforce2 MX standard across the line for the G4 towers. What does this mean? CM is not fully compatible graphically with new macs even running OS 9.

The problem is Apple won't claim responsiblity for this and niether will BTS.

Oh what to do?

As a side note, I don't mean to sound too harsh here but I am frustrated by the lack of willingness to work together to solve a problem between the game maker and the graphics card people. Add to this I was at Macworld this past week and had a very horrible experience with another company which shall remain nameless, which in my mind really pissed me off because I was trying to inquire about a game WWII game which obviously is not mainstream and wont make them alot of money, and they didn't seem interested in talking to me in the least. The game has been put on hold for years and when I inquired about it they were certainly more interested in joking around then wondering what a customer thought about a game which has yet to be released. Anyway, as you can see I am more then thankful (VERY VERY VERY THANKFULL! smile.gif ) that BTS is based on macs and pc's. I don't know where I would be without you! Or what game I would be playing!!!

Just my 2 cents. So lets get those drivers fixed!!! Or like its said on the outerboards BTS please DO SOMEFINK!!!

The one problem with NVidia's claim of being "faultless" in regards to this problem is that the de-facto standard ATI video chips/drivers don't have this problem. As Mac users know ATI video chips have been standard in Macs for the last 6 years or so and hence a lot of Mac-oriented developers wrote and debugged with these video chips/drivers in mind. Most likely what is happening is that some 'short-cut' routine in the drivers doesn't cooperate well with the sequence of RAVE calls that CM is using. With NVidia being a newcomer to the Mac world you would think that they'd realize that it takes awhile to come out with drivers that are completely problem free. Even on the PC side they've goofed up major releases on occasion (S3TC texture compression comes to mind).

Finger-pointing is rampant in the computer industry, but it is understandable due to the complexity of many of the issues. In this case I feel NVidia is at fault since no ATI-based video chips/drivers are exhibiting problems with CM under RAVE. While Apple may be in the process of de-throning ATI of its Apple market stranglehold, it is still an important reference standard for any manufacturer planning on supplanting them.

Måkjager - My impression is that using the US store purchased Radeon (for the Mac !) should work in your UK-configured G4. While I have no absolute guarantee on this, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Apple is moving to NVidia primarily for performance reasons (and some other market related ones), so I don't imagine that there are any firmware, hardware or OS issues (though there are minor differences in the localized OS for UK) preventing the use of a US Radeon in a UK G4 since they were previously offered on this hardware model.

Hey Ray... any luck finding some worthwhile, long-term employment in the video development field or are you going to have to pursue something else ?

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Actually Charles and I were discussing this issue over the weekend and we are going to be doing some testing (okay basically its going to be just me) on a possible workaround which could be easily implemented.

The problem IS Nvidias, we know that. Apparently the Geforce 3 on the Mac is having a problem loading the sky texture which is also the largest texture in the game. We are going to see if smaller sky textures make any difference.

If anyone wants to help (they need to be suffering this problem) than please email me and I will give you more details on what needs to be done.

Thanks!

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Sorry, no answers here.

Freak, just wondering if you post as 'Lion' on other boards, regarding your poor experience at Macworld...

Ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe when the game comes out we can tcp/ip with it.

Hi,

this is my first post to the forum but I've been playing the game since its release.

I recently invested in a new system, G4 533DP with the GeForce3 card. The computer actually shipped with the GeForce2MX and the GeForce3 arrived later. When I installed the GeForce3 I immediately began suffering inescapable freezes in CM. I can trigger the freeze by moving the mouse pointer to the right side of the screen (to rotate the view) but the freezes will also occur at other times that are unpredictable but always coincide with moving the camera. This is the only program in which freezes like this occur.

I've tried using minimal extension sets, the drivers are the most recent nVidia drivers and last night after suffering through several more of these freezes I reinstalled the GeForce2MX and the problem disappeared.

What I want to know is whether anyone else is actually using a GeForce3 on a Mac without encountering these problems so that I can try and pinpoint where the problem is in my system.

Thanks,

AndrewD

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: AndrewD ]

Welcome to the forum AndrewD ;D

I hope you can learn a thing or two here, mb even teach us about a few things( and more importantly get some help with your system).

Regards

Måkjager.

ps

i am now having second though's about upgrading to a G4 based system...i may go iMac SE.

Does anybody have a Imac with a 16MB Ultra video card installed?

How is it texture wise..clear/ sharp...compared to a fecky little 6MB ATI Rage Pro??

• 2 months later...

For solidarity's sake I'll say I'm having precisely the same problems on my new 867MHz G4 with a GeForce3. No sky and the game freezes when the mouse goes to the edge of the screen. Frustrating....

Andy K.

Hi,

this is my first post to the forum but I've been playing the game since its release.

I recently invested in a new system, G4 533DP with the GeForce3 card. The computer actually shipped with the GeForce2MX and the GeForce3 arrived later. When I installed the GeForce3 I immediately began suffering inescapable freezes in CM. I can trigger the freeze by moving the mouse pointer to the right side of the screen (to rotate the view) but the freezes will also occur at other times that are unpredictable but always coincide with moving the camera. This is the only program in which freezes like this occur.

I've tried using minimal extension sets, the drivers are the most recent nVidia drivers and last night after suffering through several more of these freezes I reinstalled the GeForce2MX and the problem disappeared.

What I want to know is whether anyone else is actually using a GeForce3 on a Mac without encountering these problems so that I can try and pinpoint where the problem is in my system.

Thanks,

AndrewD

Thanks to those who helped me to figure out the workaround to make CM run smoothly on a new G4 with a GeForce 3 card. I was beginning to worry that I'd upgraded myself out of CM Land altogether, which would have been no fun at all. Now all we need is the ability to get some color back in the sky.

BTW, has anyone tried messing around with extensions (basic or extended settings) to see if CM can be run in higher resolutions than 800 x 600 without freezing when using GeForce?

I too appreciate BTS's commitment to the Mac platform.

JimR, I was able to get my GeForce2 to run at 1024x768 (No skies either) It froze too much at 1280x1024. I wonder why the GeForce3 doesn't play nice at anything higher.

The BTO radeon I ordered to replace the GeForce2 runs 1280x1024 without a hitch with no problems whatsoever, I hope ATI doesn't give up on the Mac altogether, I'm looking forward to the Radeon 8500.

Gyrene