CM: Normandy Synopsis & Posts

"Trenches, unfortunately, are out of the question. They are too deep and too complicated to even consider making bloody hacks to get them to work in 3D without a 3D representation. Plus, on top of that they would look like crap. Based on feedback over many years from dedicated CMx1 players, and a sense of what the wider audience wants, looks do matter. But as I said, the looks are coming for free with the 3D game engine so this isn't about sacrificing spottable trenches for visual reasons, it's about the impracticality of having significant 3D objects represented in 2D."

I'm no programmer and god help us all if I have to do C++ but I have a question regarding implementation...

What if you did make 3D trenches, but "filled" in or over the trenches with a 2D representation of the ground and that 2D ground representation is treated like a unit? When the trenches are spotted, the "unit" could either be programmed to become transparent or be removed, (since trenches can't move, they shouldn't disappear once LOS is broken)

Just a thought from someone that doesn't know what he's talking about, but hoping that something he said may have sparked an idea in someone that actually know's what he's talking about...

thanks for listening...

That's what they did in CMBB and CMAK. Worked very well, IMHO.

One problem was that the suppressive zone for MG fire impact points was not disabled inside the trench, that means you could not use trenches to ease movement under fire. That's not quite good since you couldn't use trenches to fall back to a second line of defense or reinforce a certain position. Which IMHO is the whole points about digging up all that dirt for a trench as opposed to a couple foxholes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply limiting the amount of ammunition available works very well in Theatre of War 3, it really makes you think about its use and application. The problem there is that all the defensive works are immediately visible, even though any equipment therein may not be immediately visible you can identify what will be simply by the type of defensive works being used. So to make the use of artillery realistic, potential targets and their defensive works should remain invisible until they have been revealed by the usual means. Possibly taking into account the type of works and target and if they have been camoflaged or otherwise hidden.

With all that in mind I don't see that there should be a problem with area fire and its use ie use it wherever you like but consider what will be the best use for the limited amount of ammo you have, now and further into the game.

• 2 weeks later...
there isn't many.....annoying isn't it....download and DVD.....we want some more screenshots...or even better a little video....I have man flu...so a screenshot or several will ease the man flu...and we all know how bad man flu is....

I think you will not see any more screenshots,video or even blogs regarding CM:N untill a few weeks after NATO is released, so your Man flu may have to last a bit longer

You can't conceive of how much sadistic pleasure they take in your suffering. Hey, they have to take their kicks where they can find them.

Michael

Damn it. All this time of dropping into this forum and thinking that they give reasonable responses and care about their community. And now find out they are such sick puppies. Ah mann, how long have you known this?

@Wodin. Take care & hang in there.

Ah mann, how long have you known this?

Listen buddy, you have no idea how many years we had to wait for CMBO. You johnnie-come-lately types are just a bunch of wimps. No moral fiber at all. Ready to throw in the rag if it's delayed even a few months. Pshhhhhhh...

:rolleyes:

Only those with true grit deserve the best.

Michael

Listen buddy, you have no idea how many years we had to wait for CMBO. You johnnie-come-lately types are just a bunch of wimps. No moral fiber at all. Ready to throw in the rag if it's delayed even a few months. Pshhhhhhh...

The wait on CM:N was started in 2005 (TWO THOUSAND AND FIVE) That's so long ago that even the original forum announcement lost interest and left. By now the Johnnie-come-latelies have out waited the old guard, I reckon.

Of course, some who have waited on CMBO are now also waiting on The Game That May Not Be Named. Poor suffering wretches.

I waited on CMBB....bought CMBO from Game in 2001..loved it....wasn't interested in CMAK...upset about the response to CMSF when released and how it sounded like it leaned more towards realtime...so held off...then not long back bought it after seeing a winning video entry....tis now a classic....

Man Flu is easing off....no thanks to Battlefront...