Dambusters just over the hill......

Is it modifications to the Lanc kept at MOTAT? Seeing you appear to be a New Zealander.

Lancaster B VII NX665

Equipped with H2S radar, is preserved at the Museum of Transport and Technology (aka MOTAT) in Auckland, New Zealand. This aircraft served with the Aeronavale as WU-13 from 1952 until the 1960s, when it was presented to the museum. The airframe originally lacked the mid-upper turret, having been built with the mountings for a Martin 250CE. An earlier FN50 was retrofitted in the late 1980s which required modifications to the aircraft's structure as the turret mounts had to be moved rearwards.

*edit* never mind i read the article.

Yeah, the RAF were well known for building their bomber bases right in amongst pretty hills.

Ah well, there goes my immersion before the film is actually started. Unless maybe they somehow never show any hills when filming...

Sure they can do this. The old-fashioned way is by carefully controlling camera angle and depth of field to make the hills not visible (or, at least, not very noticeable). It's pretty amazing what a good cinematographer and editor can do with a bit of time and care. Of course, in some films they're not so careful (or simply don't want to go to the time and expense), and so incongruous background elements show up in the final cut.

Of course, these days, they're just as likely to call on the computer wizards to remove (or add) background elements digitally. But time at Skywalker Ranch ain't cheap, either, so even with today's editing toys, they may just leave the hills in on the theory that most audience members won't know the difference.

Ah ... they specifically say in the article that this is NOT filming for the movie. They're just mucking about, trying things out. They haven't decided on filming location(s) either yet, so whining like a biatch about immersion is a bit prem.

Apparently they had a big green-screen set up behind the model at one stage. Weta are good for computing grunt and know-how. I don't think they need to go to Skywalker.

Hah! Well you're responding to a guy who walked out of that Kate Winslet Enigma film shortly after she was shown wandering around in a field of oil seed rape. England was still a green and pleasant land in the 1940s, not scarred by omniprescent day-glo yellow splodges as it is today.

So yeah, I'm most definitely a whiny biatch when it comes to immersion in 'historical' films :D Still, if they're 'just mucking about' then fingers crossed that they go somewhere more appropriate.

As someone who was born and raised in the Sherwood Forest area, I give myself probably 10 minutes max before walking out of the upcoming Russel Crowe film. I remember that in that Costner travesty Sherwood Forest was apparently next door to Dover...