Auto Pause

benpark

It can be turned off via options.exe setup program.

Good to know...I am on the fence with this one. On the one hand, I like to know when I have a casualty and who it was, plus it keeps your situational awareness updated. But on the other hand, it can be annoying when you are in the heat of battle and the game keeps pausing because of that, plus information like that NEVER travels that fast in combat to the top leader on the battlefield, even in today's digital world. After saying all that, I STILL don't know if I want to turn it off or not...LOL:D

Well, at least I know that I can. ;)

the options.exe doesnt work for me. i cant start the programm. i also tried "start as administrator". the game works well.

im runnning vista 64bit.

i there a way to get the options.exe runnning. i also want to get rid of the autopause function, its annoying.

thx.

I've discovered that if you click on a casualty report in the events dialogue, the game will pause. This allows you to quickly see where this happened, as well as giving you a brief breather to check the situation. This box is at the middle bottom of screen when inventory isn't showing. That's working better for me than the mandated pauses.

It's strange why options.exe doesn't work for you, it's very simple program. Anyway, edit game.ini file in users folder (it's located inside game directory) and edit the line there:

SmartPause=0

thx, sneaksie, i changed edited the game.ini

don't know why the options.exe doesnt work. when i doubleclick, nothing happend.

Also running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, no problems yet.

Where is Theatre of War 2 installed for those who have problems? If I am not mistaken Vista protects the x:\program files/(x86)\ folders so it might be wise to install games in a different folder and/or drive.

Like C:\Games\... or as I have on E:\Theatre of War2.

Might help if you're running Vista.

Not totally sure if this is true or will help for you have problems.

It's not all Vista users and we haven't yet figured out why most people can run it, but a few can't.

I did just update the Knowledgebase with a fuller description on how to adjust this setting. Here it is, just in case any of you hear of others that have this issue:

How to stop the "pausing" feature in the game when you take casualties?

Some people have asked how to stop the "Auto Pause" feature in the game that occurs whenever your forces take casualties. This option is not currently listed in the games "Settings" panel, but there are two ways to adjust it.

The easiest way is to run the ToW-2 configuration program which is called "options.exe" and can be found in the games folder on your computer or in the "Battlefront\Theatre of War 2", Start Menu Program Group under the shortcut called "Configure Theatre of War 2". Once that program comes up, uncheck the box called "Smart pause", then click the OK button to exit the program.

Some Vista users have noticed that for some reason, this configuration program will not launch (we are investigating this issue but it's probably related to User Access Control settings in Vista). If this program will not come up, you can manually make the change by editing the game.ini file located inside the "users" subdirectory.

To do this, please follow the steps below:

Launch the game as normal. Now, from the Main Menu, click on the SETTINGS button. Make a change, it doesn't matter what it is, and then click the APPLY button. Now exit the game.

Browse back into the "users" folder located in your Theatre of War 2 game directory. You will now see a file called "game.ini". Open that file with with any text editor program (notepad works fine) and change the entry that says "SmartPause=1" to say "SmartPause=0" (without any quotes).

That should turn off the auto-pausing function.

I kind of like the auto-pause as it alerts me to things I might otherwise not respond to in time. The one drawback is that I have to manually reset the camera position to where I was before. Not a big deal for a single event... but it can be a hastle if a bunch of units get killed in rapid succession and the camera keeps getting moved.

It would be nice if there was an option to return the camera to where it was before the auto-pause.

I kind of like the auto-pause as it alerts me to things I might otherwise not respond to in time. The one drawback is that I have to manually reset the camera position to where I was before. Not a big deal for a single event... but it can be a hastle if a bunch of units get killed in rapid succession and the camera keeps getting moved.

It would be nice if there was an option to return the camera to where it was before the auto-pause.

strange, my auto pause doesnt move the camera to the location where the soldier got killed. I wish it does?! How can I enable that?!

the options.exe doesnt work for me. i cant start the program. The game works well.

im runnning vista 64bit.

i there a way to get the options.exe runnning. i also want to get rid of the autopause function, its annoying.

thx.

I can't start the "options.exe" program. When I double click on the program nothing happens. The odd thing is that I am using Windows XP Home, with Service Pack 3 and all the updates from microsoft installed (including .NET 3.5).

Very strange... Any clue?

Txema

strange, my auto pause doesnt move the camera to the location where the soldier got killed. I wish it does?! How can I enable that?!

I assumed this was the default functionality. I am not aware of any setting that controls it.

Perhaps Sneaksie will jump in on this.

Options.exe doesn't work for me either.

I run my computer as administrator, it's on WinXP, everything up-to-date.

Are there any log files to send or clues to look for ?

By the way, 1C did a really great game, far better than what I could imagine. This has to be said ;) !