Does this qualify for a Darwin award

thewood

IMO this does not qualify. He knew full well the risks but from what I read I think he did not make sure how the ties open while the skis are suspended in the air. Modern ties do not open that easily unless you apply weight on them. They are safe and open on impact when you fall down but they are designed not to open in midair. Duh !

Yeah, forgot about the children as a qualifier.

btw, I think doing this kind of thing while having a wife and child is stupid and selfish.

Do you drive,fly,get the train,walk in the street?

If so why as doing these things is stupid if you have a wife and children.

Its about having a life mate.

Yeah but its the amount of risk you should put on your family for the return. Risking your life as a soldier fighting for your country...its belief and faith. Jumping out of a helicopter or off a cliff with skis on. Its just plain selfish. Think about that 3 year old girl. He has abandoned her. It is immature and selfish. No kids, I can say its your life. Small children, now its their life too.

And driving and walk, yeah things can happen. Its the difference between playing russin roullette with five bullets in the chamber and one bullet, or maybe not playing at all.

Once again I'll stress that if he has no dependents, he can put a bullet in his own head as far as I'm concerned. But bringing children into the world should force people to grow up.

btw, one reason I am sensitve to this crap is I lost a friend 20 years ago while he was in a rescue party getting an ididot who got lost hiking in NH. Guy thought he as some extreme hiker and fell and broke his leg in an area that was off limits. My friend was in the local rescue team and left behind three small children. These extreme skiers never seem to think about the people who have to risk their lives pulling their butts out when things eventuall go wrong.

btw, one reason I am sensitve to this crap is I lost a friend 20 years ago while he was in a rescue party getting an ididot who got lost hiking in NH. Guy thought he as some extreme hiker and fell and broke his leg in an area that was off limits. My friend was in the local rescue team and left behind three small children. These extreme skiers never seem to think about the people who have to risk their lives pulling their butts out when things eventuall go wrong.

Yes but you could say the same thing about your mate.Fancy being in a local rescue team when he has 3 kids.selfish or what.Its all down to what amount of risk you are prepared to take.

I ride a motorbike so know all about the risks.I have lost few friends through motorcycle crashes and accidents.But i am prepared to take the risk.But i know other people will say i am selfish,stupid or thick to ride.But its my choice.

I really hope you get in an accident and all the local rescue people decide not to risk it. That is one of th shallowest comments I have seen anyone post in my almost 10 years on this board.

The mind set is a lot different if the risk you are taking is actually to HELP people. Is jumping out of a helicopter really helping anyone.

I think that it was a logical point that needed to be raised.

The mind set is a lot different if the risk you are taking is actually to HELP people. Is jumping out of a helicopter really helping anyone.

Depends if it is a helicopter winch man or rescue diver?

Flippancy aside, the mind set may be different, but the risk is the same. The rescue man may be the more laudable but the outcome is the same. He's dead and his children no longer have a father.

It all comes down to what is "Acceptable" risk. Who decides what is acceptable and what is not?

Not that this doesn't stop the Heli-ski-parachute-splat being an idiot.

I really hope you get in an accident and all the local rescue people decide not to risk it. That is one of th shallowest comments I have seen anyone post in my almost 10 years on this board.

Cheers for that thought mate.

But my point is valid.

Cheers for that thought mate.

But my point is valid.

Yep. There are lot's of ways to help. Thewood's mate chose the cool - but risky - one. Laudable, but risky. And he paid the price

He *could* have been a S&R co-ordinator, or a blood donor, or a media liason guy, or a driver, or a comms guy, or ... whatever. I'll stress that if he'd had no dependents, he could have put a bullet in his own head as far as I'm concerned. But bringing children into the world should force people to grow up.