Uncon mortars and FOs?

I was wondering if we could get some Uncon FOs at least. Maybe a fighter FO and a spy FO? I can't recall if the IDF encountered much (tactically relevant) indirect fire when they went headup with Hezbollah, but Marines during the Battle of Fallujah found themselves under everything from 82mm to 120mm mortar fire, which accounted for quite a few casualties as the Marines found themselves occupying intelligently laid-out TRPs.

I realize CMSF isn't about Hezbollah or Fallujah, but they both seem to be in the "spirit" of CMSF.

In the battle ASMAR Crossing I have seen mortars that can be called in by Combatant HQ units, I have had a look in editor but can not figure out how the designer did this, but it is possible. If anyone can tell me how to get artillery called in by other units than FO Teams, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

paul

That would cool. Especially the TTP of rapidly moving the tubes via 'technicals' which has been used in Low Intensity Conflicts from Somalia to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Even cooler- Tubes 'remotely' firing rounds by freezing the round in a bucket of water, then placing the round into the tube in the hot sun, laying the piece and waiting for the ice to melt and 'hang the round'. Wildy inaccurate, but because there were no crews 'manning the pieces' no positive ID to go pumel the crap out of anyone.

Using TRPs != using spotters.

I realize I might sound like a moron asking this, but without a spotter,

That would cool. Especially the TTP of rapidly moving the tubes via 'technicals' which has been used in Low Intensity Conflicts from Somalia to Iraq and Afghanistan.

We'd need on-map mortars for that :( .

Even cooler- Tubes 'remotely' firing rounds by freezing the round in a bucket of water, then placing the round into the tube in the hot sun, laying the piece and waiting for the ice to melt and 'hang the round'. Wildy inaccurate, but because there were no crews 'manning the pieces' no positive ID to go pumel the crap out of anyone.

At this point the only thing about asshats that surprises me is that I'm still surprised at what lengths they'll go to continue being asshats.

In the battle ASMAR Crossing I have seen mortars that can be called in by Combatant HQ units, I have had a look in editor but can not figure out how the designer did this, but it is possible. If anyone can tell me how to get artillery called in by other units than FO Teams, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

paul

I'm not at home right now, but I'll try to find it and figure out how it works.

Well according to the equipment list for the British Module, they're going to put the 51mm mortar in that.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=217&Itemid=327

For WW2 folk think 2-inch mortar and you have what we're talking about. Given that the thing (the L9A1 51mm mortar) only has a range of about 800m I can't see how they can implement it without it being on map.

Count me in, it's a good idea. Not a far stretch to imagine some uncons are left with gear the regulars leave behind/physically unable to operate.

There are plenty in documented instances in the past eight years or so (since the beginning of the war in Afghanistan) of uncons using mortars. In most instances, the type of uncons using said mortars were of the sort which (in my view) would be better simulated by Fighters in CM:SF than by Combatants. Also, in many cases only one mortar was used (sometimes two, depending on the size of the engagement) and they fired a relatively few 'bombs'.

In Vietnam it was also very common to encounter very precise mortar fire - without anybody spotting.

They targeted it e.g. by sending civilians counting steps between known distance objects and the targets, and they adjusted the mortar's targeting gear by test-firing somewhere else (so that they knew that selecting "3550 meters" on the mortar would land around 3550 meters). The result was pretty good, as in hit specific objects such as parked helicopters.

There areaccounts of various militias doing similar things in Beirut in the early 1980s. Vehicle mounted mortars (with junk around them). Aim with compass. Distance has been gathered using km counter in vehicle. Fire a couple rounds, cover launcher, move. Good enough to hit anyone's camp.

thanks

paul

Asmar Crossing was my scenario. I simply added mortars (I used U.S. 120mm mortars) to the Combatant's force. The way I did this was simply to change the scenario type as listed under "data" and "force v. force" from "red v. red" (which is the type it was generally) to "blue v. blue." Then, I could select "blue" forces for either side. I added the U.S. mortars to the combatant's side. Then I changed the "data" "force v. force" selection back to "red v. red," again allowing my to choose "red" forces for either side.

With the U.S. mortars (or for that matter artillery or air assets), any of the Combatant HQ units can be used to call in indirect fire. There is no reason to consider those off-map mortars to be specifically American, since they are not actually seen. In the context of the Asmar Crossing scenario, they are assumed to belong to the insurgents.

Asmar Crossing was my scenario. I simply added mortars (I used U.S. 120mm mortars) to the Combatant's force. The way I did this was simply to change the scenario type as listed under "data" and "force v. force" from "red v. red" (which is the type it was generally) to "blue v. blue." Then, I could select "blue" forces for either side. I added the U.S. mortars to the combatant's side. Then I changed the "data" "force v. force" selection back to "red v. red," again allowing my to choose "red" forces for either side.

With the U.S. mortars (or for that matter artillery or air assets), any of the Combatant HQ units can be used to call in indirect fire. There is no reason to consider those off-map mortars to be specifically American, since they are not actually seen. In the context of the Asmar Crossing scenario, they are assumed to belong to the insurgents.

****ING ROCK DUDE. THANK YOU.

Default Combatant mortars in Asmar Crossing

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkjsmith View Post

thanks

paul

Hi thank you very much for that tip, it is brilliant, it opens a whole new avenue for designers, thanks again. Paul

There are plenty in documented instances in the past eight years or so (since the beginning of the war in Afghanistan) of uncons using mortars. In most instances, the type of uncons using said mortars were of the sort which (in my view) would be better simulated by Fighters in CM:SF than by Combatants. Also, in many cases only one mortar was used (sometimes two, depending on the size of the engagement) and they fired a relatively few 'bombs'.

Yeah, I know.

I haven't played CM:SF in some time, but Fighters are the Fedayeen types, correct; and Combatants are the militia types, correct?

There areaccounts of various militias doing similar things in Beirut in the early 1980s. Vehicle mounted mortars (with junk around them). Aim with compass. Distance has been gathered using km counter in vehicle. Fire a couple rounds, cover launcher, move. Good enough to hit anyone's camp.

They do that now in Iraq; I was never in any built-up locations in A-Stan for too long to know if they did it there, but I can't see any reason they wouldn't.