The Germans are coming!!!

Sgt Joch

...puts my little computer playing to shame...

UNIFORMED SS soldiers were the last thing Alexander Kisse ever expected to see again. Especially in a bucolic corner of southeastern Pennsylvania. But nearly six decades after fighting in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge — and being shot in the leg while charging a pillbox encampment with a satchel of explosives — the Germans were back.

“There I was, helpless, with no gun and this German platoon walking towards us,” said Mr. Kisse, a 91-year-old former infantryman from Pittsburgh , recalling his encounter in 1999. “I was shaking, getting flashbacks! Then my son told me, ‘It’s O.K., they’re Americans.’ ”

The soldiers advancing on Mr. Kisse were just some of the more than 1,500 World War II re-enactors who attend the Battle of the Bulge Living History Commemoration every January at the Fort Indiantown Gap military base in Annville, Pa. With a cluster of barracks built as temporary housing in 1941, and little modified since, the Gap is an appealingly hardscrabble setting for re-enactors, who are sticklers about period authenticity, from the insignia on their field jackets to the make of their rifles (modified to fire blanks).

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/27/travel/escapes/27Reenact.html

26784561.JPG

26784567.JPG

26784563.JPG

LOL

"A loose honor system determines combat fatalities, Mr. Kelley explained. Once eye contact is made and you’ve been “shot,” removing your helmet signals you’ve been killed: “No more story for me. That’s it. I’m dead,” Mr. Kelley said wryly. A melodramatic collapse to the ground is entirely optional.

“These guys going out, playing bang bang, they think it’s fun,” he said. “Some of the SS guys are superhuman. They don’t fall down no matter how many rounds you put in them. But it’s different when there’s real lead coming back at you.” "

“Some of the SS guys are superhuman. They don’t fall down no matter how many rounds you put in them. But it’s different when there’s real lead coming back at you.” "

I've noticed that people attracted to the SS, and Nazis in general, tend to have serious ego problems.

Michael

And looking at the 3 soldaten on the left, what do the colorful ribbons on the front of their uniforms represent?

Iron Cross 2nd class for the two guys on the left and probably the Eastern Front Medal on the 3rd guy from the left (I can't make out for sure if there's a black stripe in the center, but there aren't too many ribbons from Wehrmacht medals with that much red on the outside...). The IC 2nd class was only worn on the uniform on the day it had been awarded, unlike the upper classes.

--edit--

Guy on the far right seems to be sporting an Infantry Assault Badge and Close Combat Bar in Silver.

Do you notice how all their uniforms are too new and clean? These guys don't look like they ever leave the barracks.

Who wants to dirty up (especially before a reenactment event) the uniform he spent many monetary units to purchase? Similarly, who has another uniform which he can get dirty if he wants to? *shrug*

Who wants to dirty up (especially before a reenactment event) the uniform he spent many monetary units to purchase?

Then the only thing they ought to be re-enacting should be parades. If they are into anything remotely resembling authentic re-enactments of combat soldiers, they ought to look worn, dirty, and tired.

Michael

There's plenty of situations in the history of mankind where soldiers have carried guns AND had clean uniforms. More importantly, those fellows look like having a good time with their hobby.

Alas, little do they know that they are a sore to the eye of one Mr. Emrys...