Fortifications: Mines (IED) Broken?

I can parade a marching band across these things and nothing happens.

How are these fortifications supposed to function? Shouldn't it be as simple as placing them on the map and waiting for the OPFOR to walk/drive over them? They do not require "activation" like their command detonated counterparts, correct?

Thanks for taking a look.

When you say "mines (IED) broken", do you mean actual mines or IEDs emplaced as if they're mines?

And speaking of mines... in playing "Bloody Nose Ridge" the other day, one of my scout teams encountered a minefield and suffered some casualties, but the "Mark Mines" button was greyed out for all my engineer teams, even when they were practically on top of said mines. Why would this be the case? I read the corresponding parts of the manual but could find no explanation about what circumstances under which engineers cannot mark mines.

Playing "Baker-1" as the U.S. side, I never encountered any IEDs, despite the threat mentioned in the briefing.

As the Syrians, the IEDs are there. They were never triggered even though my troops walked right over them. They never went off.

Does the A.I. target (activate) "wire" operated IEDs? Or do they only function with human players?

Gpig

Played Abu Suseh (sp?) LAN style. That's how I learned how to use IED's.

Playing it solo, vs. Red, I learned how devastating IED's can be.

The manual has some info on them. They need operators. They're not mines. So, without seeing what you're seeing, two thoughts come to mind: One, you've killed or disabled the IED operator (perhaps out of LOS); Two, the scenario designer did not give the IED operator the correct orders or placement.

So, designer missed or your specific gameplaying disabled them.

Am I close?

Thanks,

Ken

Good to know that the A.I. does indeed trip IEDs. So far I've been lucky enough not to have stumbled onto one.

I'm not sure what happened in the game I was playing (Baker-1), but I rather think it was the out of LOS item. Now that I think about it, the Syrian operator was in a location where he would not have been able to see the IEDs. Also, I was sending some moderate suppressive fire into and around his location.

Thanks Ken! Mystery solved. :)

Gpig

Hello everyone:

I am not talking about the command detonated IED's that require an UNCON trigger man. I am referring to the "Mines (IED)" you can select from the "Fortifications" option on the "Purchase Red" section of the editor.

These appear on the map as a red sign just as AP and AT mines and by appearances, are intended to function in the same manner (i.e. without a trigger man).

I have deliberately sent MBT's, AAV's, LAV's, light vehicles and infantry over top of them repeatedly with no effect.

I am not sure if they work correctly and I am leaving out a step or if they are intended to function in the same manner as the other mines in the game and are broken.

I hope this helps.

I think a 'IED mine' is a couple artillery shells hooked up to a pressure plate. I suppose they'd be considerably less reliable than store-bought landmines. I just did a little test. Ran vehicles across an IED mined intersection. Only got one mine out of 3 to blow despite heavy road traffic, but that one made a VERY big hole.

Oh, and didn't need a triggerman.

I think a 'IED mine' is a couple artillery shells hooked up to a pressure plate.
Yes, that is my understanding as well.

I suppose they'd be considerably less reliable than store-bought landmines.
If the idea is that these types of mines suffer from a very high failure rate, then I would say things are fine as they are. That said, they may be a bit too unreliable. Like I noted earlier and you seem to echo, you can send a parade of hardware across these things often with no effect.

By the way MikeyD, I really need to start shopping where you do.

Just for kicks, AT Mines are an interesting phenomena as well. They will detonate fairly reliably with mixed effects on light and heavy AFVs (minor to moderate track damage usually and an occasional M-Kill or destroyed AFV). Light vehicles fair very poorly as would be expected.

I was under the impression that AT mines should deliver M-Kills somewhat reliably with the occasional we-got-lucky-that-time track/wheel damage or the equally outlying, outright destruction of the AFV. Is this an unreasonable assumption?

The closer I look, the more confused I'm getting...
C3k, I would be interested in reading your observations.

That said, they may be a bit too unreliable. Like I noted earlier and you seem to echo, you can send a parade of hardware across these things often with no effect.
Are failures of a mine a % chance with each interaction, or is it a base chance for a mine to enter the world defective? If the first vehicle rolling over a pressure plate did not trigger it, why would the second, third or fourth do so? This is as opposed to a remote IED, for which I assume the % failure rate is for remote detonation of the device, rather than the device itself (and thus varies with the means of detonation).

Yes, the IED Mine is designed to be less reliable than regular mines. And yes, if the IED Mine doesn't go off the first time it can I'm pretty sure that it's deemed to be a failure. As AKD said, if it fails to go off when the trigger is tripped, then it's unlikely that it will go off from subsequent activity. I suppose in real life you'd get a situation where vibrations and increased ground pressure might somehow overcome the trigger's initial failure, but I think such things would be too rare to model.

Steve

Yes, the IED Mine is designed to be less reliable than regular mines.
Well, you guys nailed that goal.;)

...if the IED Mine doesn't go off the first time it can I'm pretty sure that it's deemed to be a failure.
Now that I better understand what is being modeled it seems fair enough, nevertheless I do think they are on the "less reliable" side of the curve a bit too much. It would seem that folks in certain parts of the world have had plenty of opportunities to refine their craft. In CMSF, using these types of mines to initiate an ambush and/or channel the OPFOR into a kill zone is, more than likely, not going to work.

In any event, thank you for the explanation, it certainly helped me to better frame my expectations.

Steve, I am having problems marking mines as well (or seeing the usefulness of it).

I am currently in the Tigger scenario of the Marines campaign. One of my ATVs triggered a (presumably personnel) mine and I now have a nifty little minefield sign (red) on the map. My engineering squad (which has not seen any action to this point) was sitting 20m away and watched the mine explode as my ATV lumbered past. I cannot, however, issue that engineering squad the "Mark Mines" command.

BTS PLEASE FIX OR DO SOMEFINK!

Steve

Hi

After a didn't like this game one years ago (I use to play at CMAK and I had some difficulties to change my CM logic) I decided to give it a second chance ... and know I dont't want to come back on CM1.

The BF forum is a bible to find answers about CMSF and I want to thank you all.

I'm playing the USMc campaing and I can't marking mines by the command orer in the 5th mission.

I tried to crawl throught the mine field ... bad idea !

I tried to watch it cautiously ... nothing (of course !!!)

In every situation, mark mines button wasn't selectable and I don't know how to do it.

I'm alone in this case ?

Thanks

it seems that it may be a fifty/fifty chance to mark mines or not.

For me it's look like NO chance to mark mines because I can't select the "mark mines" button (it stay unselectable on the mocment order like "fast" when mens are tired); that's why I tried to crawl throught it (in CMx1, that's how it's work if I remember).

Do you mean that sometimes it's possible to select it (because I tried a lot of time).

thanks for the quick answer