Communism is Alive and Well

Boeman

They certainly don't kid around too much there, that's for sure. A few years ago a very popular TV show in Russia encouraged people to take funny "candid camera" type joke videos. One young man crawled into a mail box while his friends stood back and watched public reactions as their letters got pushed back out and a hand appeared in the slot, from inside. It was all going great, funny as all get out watching people's reaction - until one mafia type came up, tried to deposit his letter, saw the guy inside and pulled out an automatic, fired several rounds into the mailbox, killing the kid inside, and calmly walked away. The friend standing nearby got it all on video, which I have seen on the web. I doubt the shooter was ever prosecuted and if he was, he likely would have walked on it - he certainly looked like he was connected. Comedy/Tragedy - its only a breath apart in olde Russia...

They certainly don't kid around too much there, that's for sure. A few years ago a very popular TV show in Russia encouraged people to take funny "candid camera" type joke videos. One young man crawled into a mail box while his friends stood back and watched public reactions as their letters got pushed back out and a hand appeared in the slot, from inside. It was all going great, funny as all get out watching people's reaction - until one mafia type came up, tried to deposit his letter, saw the guy inside and pulled out an automatic, fired several rounds into the mailbox, killing the kid inside, and calmly walked away. The friend standing nearby got it all on video, which I have seen on the web. I doubt the shooter was ever prosecuted and if he was, he likely would have walked on it - he certainly looked like he was connected. Comedy/Tragedy - its only a breath apart in olde Russia...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/mailbox.asp

Well I'll be damned - fooled - and I'm glad for it too, for the kid's sake. When my wife and I first saw it a couple of years ago, we were taken in by the Russian text accompanying the video. She didn't notice that the mailbox was not the familiar Russian style, nor did we notice that the people were a bit too dark-skinned to be Russians; we were shocked and deleted the email that linked to the video. Now that I look at the video again, it is clearly not Russia. Nasty hoax made from the commercial, though. Thanks for pointing it out.

The costume says "Don't Burn. Recycle!" It's a good thing the cops were there to suppress such a radical message. :(

Exactly the energy expended recycling expells more polutants into the atmosphere than just burning the rubbish. Those cops were doing their bit to save the enviroment.

Except of course the pollutants from "just burning the rubbish" are not all the equation - there's also the pollutants from producing a new article to replace or supercede the one burned.

In some cases it MIGHT be that "burn+make a new one" produces less pollutants than recylcling - but it also MIGHT be that recycling to recover raw materials produces less.

Case by case.....