Killing Khan

Hello, I have just uploaded to Cmmods my very first CMSF scenario.

The story is; a regional tribal leader declares independence from the Afghan government and the fledgling Afghan Special Forces and the fledgling Afghan Mech forces are tasked with putting this rebellion down.

You are the commander of a US SF team who has been training the Afghan SF teams and you are to go along and observe how your pupils do.

Give me feed back here please whether it is good or bad.

Oh yes it is primarily red vs. red.

Conceptually it sounds fine - we the Brits have things called OMLTs (Operational Mentoring and Liaison Teams) embedded with the ANA (Afghan National Army) and I'm pretty sure the US has exactly the same although I can't remember what they're called. These guys train the ANA and go into combat with them so the concept is realistic. As to the mission - I haven't seen it - I'm having real problems downloading stuff right now.

Conceptually it sounds fine - we the Brits have things called OMLTs (Operational Mentoring and Liaison Teams) embedded with the ANA (Afghan National Army) and I'm pretty sure the US has exactly the same although I can't remember what they're called. These guys train the ANA and go into combat with them so the concept is realistic. As to the mission - I haven't seen it - I'm having real problems downloading stuff right now.

MTTs or MiTTs. Military Transition Teams.

This map is loosely based on my recollections of a valley in the Nuristan region of Afghanistan. At that time, which was a few years ago, we had local troops attached to us and whenever possible they would clear certain buildings like Mosques and such. We then where trying to train the locals to do all of their dirty work themselves so, that is what inspired me to make this scenario.

The time limit is two hours which is plenty of time. I just enjoy even on really small maps to be given the most amount of time so that I can make trough plans and be as cautions as I want.

At least in my mind there is nothing on this map which is unrealistic. Like the town rabble being equipped with T-90’s or AT-14’s. I tried to make this mission as realistic as possible.

The Afghan SF are well equipped and of high motivation. The Mech forces are equipped fairly and are of high motivation. All of the Khans troops are fanatical due to the fact that they are of the same tribe and most of them are related. They are poorly equipped and vary from conscript (being the younger inexperienced men), green (having some experience in tribal skirmishes) and regular (having more fighting experience than the rest and some training from the Taliban).

I think the force mixture is good. Let me know what you think.

**minor spoilers**

Zmoney,

Thanks for this interesting scenario, I got a total victory with 1 hour 20 to spare. I probably went outside your design intensions and used the remaining breaching charges on the 'weapons cache' and one of the 'targets of interest' bypassing some of the defenders ability to inflict casualties on me.

The hint of where the counter attack was coming from meant the enemy reinforcements never got a chance to even get out of their vehicles or fire a shot back.

I think you should make the counter attack alot harder, maybe have other groups coming in from different directions.

Anyway thanks again, keep up the good work.

Spoilers

**minor spoilers**

Zmoney,

Thanks for this interesting scenario, I got a total victory with 1 hour 20 to spare. I probably went outside your design intensions and used the remaining breaching charges on the 'weapons cache' and one of the 'targets of interest' bypassing some of the defenders ability to inflict casualties on me.

The hint of where the counter attack was coming from meant the enemy reinforcements never got a chance to even get out of their vehicles or fire a shot back.

I think you should make the counter attack alot harder, maybe have other groups coming in from different directions.

Anyway thanks again, keep up the good work.

Thank you for your comments. I am wondering how the reinforcements did that attacked the compound? Were they able to make it into the compound? I designed it so they would enter the compound through the same breaches the good guys did.

I was worried how the vehicle mounted reinforcements would do. I was hoping they would be able to get to the road block before the player had time to stop them. Did you hit any of the IED’s?

If you have the time could you either post here or pm me with what your plan was and what course of action you took?

Thanks for the feed back.

First off, hello everyone. I've lurked for a long time, but just registered today so i could post some feed back on this map.

I played through the whole till time ran out.

Used my spec ops guys to take the compound, then used first and second platoon mechanized to take objective 1 and 2 respectively.

Spec ops used breaching charges. Took a couple casualties.

Don't know if it is what you intended, but i used my rpg teams from the mech platoons 1 and 2 to blow holes in the wall opposite the entrance and enter the buildings from the back. I saw that the machine gun nests pointed at the entrances to the two objectives. I still took several casualties on each platoon.

My spec ops guys just sat in Khans place, But the arty spotter i moved northeast to the point of the woods where he could see and direct apache fire on Obj. 1 and 2 and the cache.

I then moved platoon 1 and 2 up to the cache after some softening by my chopper. Used the same "rpg a hole" method on the southern wall and entered the cache. Took sever casualties still when i went in.

Spec ops still sitting in Khans place.

Then i moved Platoons 1 and 2 through the small town and towards the roadblock. shot a couple of technicals that were sitting way past the roadblock at Al Huq.

At the end of the town i came under fire like all hell. bunches of units popped up from the roadblock. I spread my remaining guys from platoon 1 and 2 out to the left behind the low wall, and a few into the woods by the same low wall left of the small town i was in.

I eventually wore the roadblock defenders down, and time ran out before i completed it.

CONCERNS: I never saw platoon 3. I though the briefing said platoon 3 would come along soon to help take the roadblock, but they never showed up.

At objective 1 and 2, i got the objective complete when i touched the back wall opposite the entrance. Did not have to enter the compound to get it. Same for cache i believe.

I never got a second apache. I thought the briefing said another apache would be comiing to help with the roadblock, but it never showed up.

I never saw any counter attack. after the map was over i spied about 6 technicals just sitting where i imagine they spawned, but the never moved out.

GOOD MAP STILL. i really like having several, distinct objectives to have to do in one map. each one was its own little skirmish. I liked that alot.

The briefing was awesome. Super detailed. I would play more maps if you submitted them.

Spoilers

Thank you for your comments. I am wondering how the reinforcements did that attacked the compound? Were they able to make it into the compound? I designed it so they would enter the compound through the same breaches the good guys did.

I was worried how the vehicle mounted reinforcements would do. I was hoping they would be able to get to the road block before the player had time to stop them. Did you hit any of the IED’s?

If you have the time could you either post here or pm me with what your plan was and what course of action you took?

Thanks for the feed back.

Mate, the game ended with a total victory after I wiped out the vehicle mounted reinforcements, I never got a chance to see any other attacks or IED's.

I'd send you my last save but I've deleted it already, my basic plan was to use the SF to

take the compound and the roadblock which they did. I then used one of the Syrian SF units

to blast holes in the back of the weapons cache compound and the other building complex west of that. That way my forces didn't have to go through the main gate under fire, although my APC's took out the bunkers pretty easily. The other complex (south I think, with the taxi in it) I just ran my troops to the buildings on the flanks and let them leapfrog through the buildings while the APC put covering fire on the main building.

The briefing mentioned the counter attack will come from the town to the north so I set up my US SF units at the roadblock with cover from three APC's and a squad of Syrian regulars.

This was more than enough to wipe out the guys in the pickups.

CONCERNS: I never saw platoon 3. I though the briefing said platoon 3 would come along soon to help take the roadblock, but they never showed up.

At objective 1 and 2, i got the objective complete when i touched the back wall opposite the entrance. Did not have to enter the compound to get it. Same for cache i believe.

I never got a second apache. I thought the briefing said another apache would be comiing to help with the roadblock, but it never showed up.

I never saw any counter attack. after the map was over i spied about 6 technicals just sitting where i imagine they spawned, but the never moved out.

GOOD MAP STILL. i really like having several, distinct objectives to have to do in one map. each one was its own little skirmish. I liked that alot.

The briefing was awesome. Super detailed. I would play more maps if you submitted them.

Thank you very much for your detailed feed back and I'm glad you enjoyed the map. I'm planning on coming out with a part two so to speak. It’s going to be an attack by the Taliban on the SF compound, more on that latter.

I guess I should have been more clear in the briefing but your third platoon plus the other Apache were attacking the road block in the north of the valley (off map) in order to tie up reinforcements.

The pick-ups that were in the village to the north were designed to go back there and wait out the fight. They brought all the extra fighters up to reinforce the road block and I didn’t want them to get shot up and give the player extra points so I had them retreat to the village for cover. Did the trucks still have the fighters in the back; if they did I need to fix that.

I should have moved the touch objective to only one block inside the compound. I will make that improvement to the scenario. Thanks for your input on that.

I’m wondering did you receive the counter attack at Khans compound. If you did how did you deal with it? I thought the counter attack at the compound was so witty and so far no one seems to be surprised by it.

Mate, the game ended with a total victory after I wiped out the vehicle mounted reinforcements, I never got a chance to see any other attacks or IED's.

I'd send you my last save but I've deleted it already, my basic plan was to use the SF to

take the compound and the roadblock which they did. I then used one of the Syrian SF units

to blast holes in the back of the weapons cache compound and the other building complex west of that. That way my forces didn't have to go through the main gate under fire, although my APC's took out the bunkers pretty easily. The other complex (south I think, with the taxi in it) I just ran my troops to the buildings on the flanks and let them leapfrog through the buildings while the APC put covering fire on the main building.

The briefing mentioned the counter attack will come from the town to the north so I set up my US SF units at the roadblock with cover from three APC's and a squad of Syrian regulars.

This was more than enough to wipe out the guys in the pickups.

Thanks, I am interested to see how people will tackle this mission.

No, i never had any counter attack at Khans compound. My spec ops guys just kind of sat there for the entire map after taking it. Forgot to mention i never saw an IED either.(

I understand now about 3rd platoon and the helo though.

I cant remember seeing if the pickups had guys in the back, but i dont think they did.

I was really surprised by the voulme of fire i took when 2nd and 1st platoon finally made the attack on the road block, so i assume thats where the reinforcements set up after dismounting the trucks?

I still really liked your map though. It was a blast using the spec ops guys in their small infantry only skirmish. Big fun using the apache with small area fire orders to rain hell on those compounds before i attacked them. Shocking when i pulled my guys toward the roadblock and enemy fire just exploded and poured out of it.

I think small maps, with infantry and light vehicals are my favorites. None of the Big Bang wepons like javs and Tanks. With a small number of highly motivated guys, you really have to care about your troops. Tactics on the small scale seem much more important, and i liked having several small things to complete on one mission.

KHAAANNN! LOL.

I finally played through it. This is a great mission.

The map was great. Plenty of room to manuever. I really felt like the ball was in my court, because I had full control over how I wanted to go about the mission. I liked the fact that the multiple objectives weren't all heavily defended, so I never knew what I was gonna get.

I really go into this one. I'll play it again. If you decide to refine it, even better!

Thank you for playing it and commenting. I’m glad you liked it.

Yea, I’ve made a few minor changes because I play tested it again after I read some previous reviews. The changes I’ve made shouldn’t change things drastically, I just wanted to make sure the troops in the vehicle reinforcement dismounted when they were supposed to and I also changed the final order for the gun technicals. I believe the last thing I did was to shrink the setup zones for the blue team, not by much though.

Plus I’ve already started work on the sequel tentatively called “Taliban Response”. I’m currently working on the map and force composition. It’s a very ambitions plan and if I succeed I have no doubt that it will be the best scenario ever made. But like I said it’s a very ambition plan and I don’t know if it will work out like I want it to. Maybe if I had the creativity of George Mc while making this village I would be more confident.

The basic story is going to be an attack on the SF/Afghan base by the Taliban and its allies. I have the blue OOB in order I just need to finalize the map and come up with a realistic red OOB and make there plans and such. I will post a screen shot in its own thread soon. I should be done in a week or so but I hate putting a deadline on art. ;)

Sounds like you're working on a few linked missions. Why don't you make them into a mini campaign instead?

Well I thought about that but the two scenarios are going to involve totally different forces and the scenarios will be taking place about 20 days apart. By the way I love your campaigns and am looking forward to your new one.