The Weather is Killing Me!

The impact of weather in SC-PT is huge. A much bigger impact IMHO than any of the other SC games. In my first try at the full campaign I had air units in India, Burma, and China that were largely useless because I couldn't get them off the ground. How long is the monsoon season anyway? I'm wondering what other players experiences have been and if there are any tips to getting the most bang for your air-unit-buck. I eventually moved my Indian bomber to NE Australia to help defend my buildup there and try and damage any IJN shipping I spotted. It saw much more action there. It would also be great to have some kind of weather forecast in the game. Not sure how it would be modeled but it would be nice to know what my chances are each month for clear weather in different areas.

Loving this game!

I've run into the same issue in Burma. After losing China to the AI (!!!!), I moved the bulk of my air force to Burma to help hold off the Japanese there only to find them grounded 90% of the time by weather. This is allowing the Japanese to roll over me because my army is massively outnumbered there and my level 5 fighters are all grounded!

I figured out a bit of a trick though. I used a British Special Forces unit to invade the port on the west end of the peninsula there and then shuttled in a bunch of US corps to hold the ground. This gave me an area to transfer a lot of my air units within attacking range of Burma but outside of the monsoon area.

This game is a blast!

Burma is the worst, they have a Monsoon season from June-September. But heavy rain can start as early as April.

I have found my air to be quite useful in China, when it rains it gives you a chance to reinforce them. As well they are quite useful vs. Russia.

The impact of weather in SC-PT is huge. A much bigger impact IMHO than any of the other SC games. In my first try at the full campaign I had air units in India, Burma, and China that were largely useless because I couldn't get them off the ground. How long is the monsoon season anyway? I'm wondering what other players experiences have been and if there are any tips to getting the most bang for your air-unit-buck. I eventually moved my Indian bomber to NE Australia to help defend my buildup there and try and damage any IJN shipping I spotted. It saw much more action there. It would also be great to have some kind of weather forecast in the game. Not sure how it would be modeled but it would be nice to know what my chances are each month for clear weather in different areas.

Loving this game!

I agree, seems like it rained most of the year near Burma. AF totally useless! The only few dry days seemed to favor the AI... :P

Yes, yes, yes....the weather. Without the Lord of Hosts providing good weather, life is hindered, in this case, war. Asia is a bee-otch. My Uncle landed at Incheon, pushed all the way to Red China, froze his arse-off. He survived, got home in one piece. Alot of guys didn't.

Far as rain in Asia & the Pacific. There's not enough umbrellas in this world for every Chinaman.

Ever been to a jungle? It's a rainfest. Rent the movie 'The Deerhunter' for rain & elements. Even easier, visit Seattle, like living in a dishwasher with no soap or dry cycle.

Whether people like it or not. This world has rain, tidal waves, earthquakes, cold, win, heat, name it.

Ever notice that bad weather is blamed as "An Act of God"?

Yet good weather is credited to "Mother Nature"?

Mankind blames God for the bad, and credits a false god for the good. Unbelief sucks. Trust the Lord of Hosts.

-I am Legend

I agree Burma is the worst. Only two possible ways out of that problem. One would be to cheat, and turn the weather off, or to move units elsewhere. I prefer a little cheating every once in a while, but typically move units to Midway to carry out an assault on Hawaii. Then I use that as a base to go to the states, and effectively decide how the campaign will turn out in the early stages, rather then find out later on down the road.

Burma can be ok if you do 2 things.

A) Use your air just for China

B) Use only ground troops in Burma

Burma can work out pretty damn good if you do one extra thing.

C) Invest in mobility for ground troops with your first 100mpps and hope you get a hit within 12-15 months after.

That one is a real boost to moving into India.

If you read about the historical Burma campaign you will see that it was indeed a tragic experience.

Six months of every year campaigning was off due to rain, the remaining months you'd better get those city-objectives(Allies getting Rangoon 1945) or you be dead due to diseases and low supply.

after christmas, i'll get the full game, study it a bit and start playing some multiplayer, hopefully i will be able to seriously challenge the folks here :)

the weather is a serial killer indeed :)

but it is oh so tempting to transfer AFs to help with Burma campaign but as it appears it aint a sound move but quite a gamble - Blashy is very correct here - air must go to China, the chinese have ridiculously high number of ground troops and the terrain is a b!tch, only mountains and rivers so you definitely need massed airforce against them

if u need airsupport in Burma, I'd rather use the carriers returning form pearl harbour - methinks you got a bit of time until US fully gears for war