Macarthur leaves the philippines?

No big deal could care less if you dont fix it. When I defeat the Americans in the Philippines, the next pop up is Macarthur leaves. No problem with that but this time I bypassed the Philippines and he still left at the same time as before when he was forced to leave. I feel that should be corrected even though I know its just a pop up and does not effect the game in any way.

Willy

Willy - I believe the MacArthur script is 100% historical with his arrival in Adelade. Bill can fill you in on this one. But between the PT boats, bomber planes, trains, (and automobiles?), the date he arrives in Australia in the game matches the date in history. Is that what you are referring to?

Willy - I believe the MacArthur script is 100% historical with his arrival in Adelade. Bill can fill you in on this one. But between the PT boats, bomber planes, trains, (and automobiles?), the date he arrives in Australia in the game matches the date in history. Is that what you are referring to?

I think he's referring to the fact that as Japan, he did not attack the Philippines. So then why would MacArthur leave? Did he hear glory calling his name, somewhere else? :)

Thank you for your comment Capt Andrew , I am not questioning the historical date at all, but I feel that only the fall of the Philippines should trigger that pop-up about MacArthur going to Australia no matter what the date turns out to be. In SC's weapons and warfare a pop-up about the capture of Tobruk does not occur until Montgomery actually captures it regardless of the historical date. I just thought the same would apply here, now I only have the demo, is there an actual icon in Australia of MacArthur after he gets there? Again no big deal it does not change the game in any way I guess. Thanks for your comment.

Willy

I took a look and the only reference I can see to Macarthur in the scripts (unless I missed one) is for a UNIT event that has him arrive in Adelaide.

I can see how this assumes the historical defeat of the Philippines and perhaps it could be adjusted to only trigger if the Philippines surrender. I'll let Bill weigh in on this one and we'll make any necessary/applicable changes for the first patch.

MacArthur actually left before the Philippines fell, having been ordered to do so by President Roosevelt, so I don't think we're going too far wrong by having him arrive in Australia even if the Philippines are still fighting.

But I will think some more on this, my mind is not closed!

Hi Rich

I do see your point. I have been thinking about this some more and a couple of thoughts came to mind:

1) The potential for a gamey exploit. The Japanese could bypass the Philippines, just keeping an eye on it until they see that MacArthur has deployed there. Then they could strike the following turn with a mass of carriers, thus making MacArthur's time in the Philippines a rather short one.

2) As a HQ represents not only the leadership of the commander, but also (and in many ways more importantly) the massive logistical support he can muster, the arrival of MacArthur in Australia is really the fundamental starting point for the growth of US armed forces there. Without a HQ, US troops and air units in Australia will lack punch, and as the purchase and sending of another from the USA will take some time, having MacArthur deploy in the Philippines could have a serious impact on their ability to organise a campaign to defend Port Moresby and the Solomons. It could in fact be a good incentive for Japan to invade Australia, a task that is currently very hard partly because of MacArthur's presence there.

Thank you gentlemen for your input, I can always count on you for a reasonable explanation even when the question does not have much to do with game strategy, but no one has explained to me about MacArthur in Australia, is he an actual icon there or just a pop-up in the game.

Willy

Hi Rich

I do see your point. I have been thinking about this some more and a couple of thoughts came to mind:

1) The potential for a gamey exploit. The Japanese could bypass the Philippines, just keeping an eye on it until they see that MacArthur has deployed there. Then they could strike the following turn with a mass of carriers, thus making MacArthur's time in the Philippines a rather short one.

This would be a lot of trouble for the Japanese to go to, just to eliminate a general of dubious value (speaking of the historical record, not his value in the game) :). We are talking about the guy who thought parking aircraft wingtip-to-wingtip was a good way to discourage saboteurs.

Anyway, all joking aside, it seems reasonable that he would move to Australia regardless. The Philippines is a bit exposed, and even if the Japanese had bypassed the Philippines, Roosevelt would probably have wanted the American theatre HQ to be in Australia