What program does Battlefront use to make their 3D models?

ChrisND

Hello boys.

Just stumpled over this thread and were kind of puzzeld by Steve's answers. Because as far as i know it's never easy getting costum made models into games. Like Operation Flashpoint which is one of the easiest modeble games a know. Even though it's easy in comparison to so many other games it still requries several tools to get a job done. Further more you also need to do a lot tweaking to the models like pointing out muzzel fire, seats, spinning wheels, bounding box etc. And once that is done you have to look through a maze of config files which has scaring simularities with something from The Matrix.

Though im no profesionel and have never tried getting any 3d models inside a game before i would still say that what Steve pointed out dosn't sound all that different from so many other games i know.

So it sadend me when i found this thread cus i finally have lerned my self a little 3d modeling and would love to make an WW 2 mod for CMSF. So i still believe a tool to extract the mdr files would be very appriciated... Especially if it were compatible with Maya ;)

Ps. English is not my native language. And i mean no disrespect Steve im aware that you are a pro and know what you talk about but i still belive it is duable.

Flanker15,

I wasn't meaning aircraft but aircraft weapons, right now bombs, rockets and missiles are yellow lines. I only ment that we could make models for anything that is missing a 3d model but is already fully coded into the game.

Still requires coding, though very little. But the artwork would also be very little. Maybe 1 hour of KwazyDog's time. So this wouldn't be a good candidate for using Modder's work. They don't have 3D models now simply because we didn't feel it was important enough to bump other things.

Nemboo,

Though im no profesionel and have never tried getting any 3d models inside a game before i would still say that what Steve pointed out dosn't sound all that different from so many other games i know.

This is true. However, those companies spent time making the game system open. They also run into problems where 3rd Party Mods cause the game to crash, behave incorrectly, etc. and then have to deal with the tech support headaches. Even with CM's fairly modest modding capabilities we run into these problems. And the less support we offer for the modding community, the more of these problems come up the more open the system is.

English is not my native language. And i mean no disrespect Steve im aware that you are a pro and know what you talk about but i still belive it is duable.

No worries about your tone, no offense taken :) Of course it is possible to open the entire game engine up to modding. But that would take a lot of effort on our part and we would be put out of business by doing it. I've had this discussion a thousand times since CMBO and it's never going to change :D We know exactly why we should NOT open the game engine to modification by end users, while many of you guys don't think we should fear it. It is our jobs on the line so the answer will always be no even though in theory we could say yes.

Steve

Steve, I wonder how difficult it is for Kwazy Dog to add some simple industrial stuff...a couple of cylinder form can as (gas/fluid) tanks and chimneys, for example. Shouldn't be more difficult than a mosque!?

Well...tanks could of course burn, or contain poison stuff. This could lead to some coding problems/efforts.

Very easy. It comes down to Charles coding them. Depending on the object this could be fairly easy or difficult. Either way it's time out of the schedule.

They could be entered as Flavor Objects, though that would make them very difficult to use effectively. Plus, Flavor Objects do not have damaged states... they either are there or they get removed from combat results.

Steve

A relativ simple cylinder form of some stories height on a roof would look pretty much like a factory chimney. Another thing would be to have one or more tubes on the walls instead of a balcony. With this two things we could simulate a simple factory, even if still very simple, but not as abstract anymore as now. The damage model for this structures can be as simple as for any other building, I guess.

Gas/fluid tanks of various forms, ship containers and such would be surely nice, too, but I assume there some more efforts necessary to do it right, because they include a lot of side effects I have already mentioned above.

It doesn't cause me sleepless nights, but I had this ideas going around in my head for some time now. Just wanted to ask!

Nemboo,

Sure, players are happier. So happy that they don't care about buying things from us. Since we kinda, sorta, require some money to keep in business... this is a problem for us :)

Trust me, we've been through this argument thousands of times before. It's been thoroughly discussed and the conclusion each time is exactly the same... opening up the game to free modification will put us out of business. There's plenty of threads you can search for on this Forum to see more details as to why. These discussions go back almost 10 years.

Steve

Nemboo,

Sure, players are happier. So happy that they don't care about buying things from us. Since we kinda, sorta, require some money to keep in business... this is a problem for us :)

Trust me, we've been through this argument thousands of times before. It's been thoroughly discussed and the conclusion each time is exactly the same... opening up the game to free modification will put us out of business. There's plenty of threads you can search for on this Forum to see more details as to why. These discussions go back almost 10 years.

Steve

Steve

I think most people understand that you dont want to give your baby up. What people what is some more flavor objects/variety/freedom. Can you add some grey, even without textures objects like a cube, rectangle, something that could be textured into shipping containers, boxes, signs,

I personally would like to see addition of sattelite dishes, concertina wire and road curbs.

Also, I want to see return of several levels of damage for buildings.

M1A1TC,

I think most people understand that you dont want to give your baby up.

Most, but we're sure to never have that change to "all". I think we have about 1000 threads to prove that :D

What people what is some more flavor objects/variety/freedom.

Everything has to be coded into the game engine by hand and the models compiled using a proprietary tool that we can't make available to end users. So the answer is theoretically yes, but practically speaking the answer is no. We've got a lot of things on our plates and making the code which is necessary to handle user implemented flavor objects is too much for us to take on.

Remember, flavor objects have an impact on the game system. If we allowed users to put in concertina wire into the game... then people would want specific rules for interacting with them. So some flavor objects would not only require coding just to make them work correctly graphically, but also would need additional gameplay modifications such as to the TacAI. And don't tell me that people would be happy to have concertina wire that didn't behave like concertina wire :D

Steve

So how about some kind of flavor update before you shut the door on CMSF? Somewhere between the Brits and Germany/Dutch modules.

And what are we looking at as far as WWII flavor objects go? We are gonna need a ton of stuff for Normandy to do it up right.

Mord.

P.S. BTW my inbox is empty...hint hint. I only have 5 weeks left.