IEDs VS Claymores

M1A1TC

Technically, all mines detonate on command. Normally the user interface requires you to step or drive on it, though. Even a claymore can be set enemy-detonated if so desired.

Maybe the current ROE calls for not using land mines in Iraq and/or Afghanistan, because the local government has asked so. At least I suspect that to be the case for Afghanistan, where the operation is led by NATO. And which is already cluttered with mines...

Btw. are Soviet mine dogs command detonated or enemy detonated?

Editor placed claymores would probably work. Placement during a game would probably be incredibly fiddly to get to work right/realistically and would probably be hideously abused by us.

I'm speculating here, but I'm thinking BFC, realizing it's more trouble then it's worth, have the following explanation ready: "The US are waging a war of manoeuvre and are far to busy for mines." You may or may not agree with that, but I reckon it's the smart thing to do. Do not open the can labelled 'worms'.

Sergei,

If you look at the picture on the link, you'll see an antenna like affair sticking up from the dog mine's back. That is a tilt rod fuze, which activates the explosives as the dog runs under the tank. According to Suvorov, they are (at least circa 1989) still part of the Spetsnaz arsenal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Regards,

John Kettler

I'd say claymores belong in, along with shaped charge IED's for UNCON's. But that would require some extra AI coding so the AI understands to trigger it only if enemy enters the claymore's area of effect (instead of just coming close to it, regardless of direction). That reduces the likelihood of it happening anytime soon.

Claymores would be used defensively in most cases by US troops, i.e. on static perimeter positions in base camps or temporary positions during large operations.

I really dont see where they would be effective in a CMSF scenario, unless one was designed where no other American firepower could be brought to use in an engagement.

That wouldn't happen too often IMHO.