Tank Sims: T-34vsTiger and Steel Fury

MeatEtr

Ok I got my copy in the mail today. Surprisingly it runs pretty good on this old PC(about 5 yrs now).

My specs:

P4 3.2Ghz XP SP2

1g RAM

Geforce 6800GT 256mb

SB Audigy

I just finished playing the tutorials. The gunnery mission had me with no shells at all, kinda defeats the whole purpose doesn't it. Then on the commander mission nobody followed my orders, again, this defeats the whole purpose. The missions didn't work until I changed my realism setting from recommended to medium. So in this case, recommended means the exact opposite. :mad:

But once I got the tutorials working it was instantly fun. In the commander mission I loved watching the KV drive over an AT gun and crush it. He backed up over it a few times for good measure. I tried it on the next AT gun position and was even able to run over some of the crew. I could hear the screams from the crunchies hehe. I haven't even played any of the actual missions yet.

This my friends is treadhead heaven! :)

Hehe, I wouldn't mind, but we're heading to Hilton Head Island, SC tomorrow morning for the big Turkey day. Meeting up with some relatives from Florida.

Anyways, got some good playtime in today. I played 3 missions in the T-34 and 2 in the Pzr IV-F2. It certainly delivers on making you feel apart of the battlefield with airstrikes, artillery, MG nests, and AT guns. Although it seems your primary task is taking out the fortified defenses. There is little tank vs tank engangements, although this is probably more realistic. There's only about a single platoon of tanks per side per mission. But this might be different in the other missions. So I would like to see bigger slugfests. But there is a scenario editor so I think we'll see loads of user created content.

Oh by the way, the german optics are bugged, they aren't visible at all. There's an unofficial patch for it, you can download it here.

The most memorable moment so far was moving in close to the ass end of a Stuggie and slamming two shells into him. I noticed he had a track blown off, so figured it was possible to get in real close. Then two crewmen managed to bail while on fire. So I put them out of their misery and gunned em down. :D

Besides the Fall Blua add-on, which is supposedly already done. There will be a sequel moving on to the next year of the war, Kharkov 1943.

Bah, I understand the Kharkov43 link, but the unofficial patch link is commercial? :confused:

Anyways, infantry seems decent to me. I was watching the infantry duking it out. I think AI is pretty good, infantry use cover and lay down suppressive fire. I was expecting a somewhat puppet-like infantry vs infantry mechanics. They don't appear to use your tanks as cover though. But as far as using the commands, it works good, your attached squads and tanks follow your commands accurately.

You can pick them off as they pop up out of the trenches to take a shot at your own infantry. Basically you lay down suppressive mg fire over the tops of the infantry cowering in the trench until they route and try and take off. Then it's a slaughter. Or you can fire HE and try hit the back lip of the trench to get some kills. That's not easy though, expect to use up several shells per trench.

One odd thing I did notice though, after enemy infantry die, their rifles turn bounce around like rubber or something. It's definitely a weird bug I heard their addressing in the patch.

• 4 weeks later...

One odd thing I did notice though, after enemy infantry die, their rifles turn bounce around like rubber or something. It's definitely a weird bug I heard their addressing in the patch.

I just watched the demo movie on the developers site (9 min). I see this happening. A guy was shot and dropped his rifle. Every time there was a concussion of any type, it would come flying out of the trench in to the air. The last time, it must have landed 100 yds away!