Graphics problem - draw diastance

missingreality,

I've got an evga brand nvidia 8800gtx which has 768Mb of memory. I'm running an intel q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz, using 8Gb of Ram (Vista64 so all ram can be used).

Drivers: nvidia's latest WHQL package, v181.22; I use Rivatuner v2.22, but only for fan control on the 8800GTX; the GPU/VRAM speeds are stock for the card.

I only use stock textures/models for CMSF. (At least for now.)

I've just run a little test using the map from the second mission of PaperTiger's outstanding Perdition campaign. The cutoff for trees/terrain seems to be hardcoded at precisely 1200 meters.

Hmm, I just alt-tabbed out of CMSF to post this, then went back to double check my numbers.

Now the tree cutoff is at precisely 900 meters.

I will continue to alt-tab out of CMSF and back to this message and see what I get each time...

800 meters...

750 meters...

Obviously, alt-tabbing in and out of the game is inducing a change to the cutoff point for the LOD calculations. In each case it is shortening the cutoff distance.

Is this indicative of a memory leak?

Regards,

Ken

More...

Low walls and olive groves (?) fill in at a longer distance than woods. The cutoff is selective and different for different terrain.

The alt-tab out and back does NOT consistently reduce the drawing distance. Having tried it again, the distance is back to 1100 meters for low wall and about 900 meters for woods (whose graphic looks like a pine tree shaped cone which changes to a deciduous tree when you move closer to it).

Puzzling...

Ken

The vanishing of the 3D objects (trees, trenches,...) would not be such a problem if they were replaced by appropriate 2D texture when seen in the distance.

There is already a system of close/far textures for some terrain but the transition isn't smooth (the road textures for example are not of the same width), perhaps modding could solve part of the trouble...

The trenches are represented by a 2D pattern, rather light, which is a good thing in my opinion, because it should not be too easy to spot them from far.

But the far 3D representation involves few polygons, which gives the weird aspect shown above. I would prefer seeing 2D trenches and half soldiers like in Cmx1, until the game is able to draw the whole 3D stuff.

I have had this issue as well. Great rig and 512 ram on my vid card. What I see is I play a lot of PBEM games, which cause me to alt-tab a lot because I send my files via SendThisFile. If I leave CMSF running in the background, in an hour or so, I inevitably have a lock up and ultimately a crash where I need to reboot because it freezes up my whole system to where even task manager doesn't work. I would say there is definatly a leak somewhere.

Bump, Same problem with draw distance with all different settings.

Nividia 8600GT 256mb, 1g ram, pentium 4 3ghz,Windows xp sp3

I notice it more with the green terrain mods, but the funny thing is I just updated the driver and the draw distance has got worse. Draw distance is shorter now. Wish some one could come up with a solution. It is still a fun game, but this is the worst draw distance problem i have ever had. I know my system can do more, or at least it has with other games. From what i have read most people having this problem have Nividia cards. 8000 series. Is it these cards are not very compatable with the game?

On my new pc this problem still occurs. Before I though perhaps my 256 MB vram were not enough.

However now I have a 4870x2 with 2gb ddr5 so I guess that should be enough :D

Ive noticed a few strange things. For example, I have a view of a fairly large map (in the Road to Dinas campaign). I move the camera on top of the hill and I can see plains in the distance without any trees or orchards (altough I know they are there). Now if I move the camera up, all the scenery 'loads'. Then, if I lower the camera without moving it back, the 'extra' scenery remains visible even if I scroll the camera back down.

Testing some settings also affected results, so I'm not really sure when / if this happens. It seems draw distance is better without 'Open GL triple buffering'. However I noticed that at times the draw distance is better then other times, without any reason I can think of.

My system should handle CMSF well on both visual and cpu intensive tasks (Cori7 920 2,66, 6GB ddr3 1600, 4870x2). Generally it does this very well, even on large maps in RT I have very playable framerates. However the draw distance sometimes is cluttering, and i feel that that shouldn't be necessary, even if the game only uses 1 of the 4870's it still has 1024MB vram.

Anyone else has full draw distance in larger maps (1,5x1,5+) ?