Good resources for US Army/USMC org 2001-Present?

istari

OK - one last question and I'll stop spamming the boards. It's really fun to be "getting back into the Combat Mission groove" and asking questions about the underlying warfare concepts rather than discussing game bugs.

I was an avid player of Steel Panthers II and became quite familiar with the range of modern land weaponry circa 1999-2000. However, I've been off playing Combat Mission in World War II for the past seven years and there haven't been any other modern wargames of note. Yes there were games like Full Spectrum Warrior, but none I can think of that required an intimate knowledge of the modern US armed forces post 9/11.

Now I'm discovering that a lot has changed in the US armed forces since Steel Panthers II! What is this M32 AGL thingie? How does FBCB2 work? What's the real difference between the M1A1SA, M1A1 FEP, M1A2SA and the M1A2SEP???

Can anyone recommend good resources for bringing myself up to speed with the latest gear & tactical organizations of the US Army and USMC circa 2008?

Many thanks!!

Chris

Hi guys -

Thanks for the tips. I did check out the Global Security site, and it's a good start. I recognize this as the old FAS.org site, and a lot of the information is getting pretty dated. Many entries describe "planned for introduction in 2003..." etc, so I wonder if there are other resources that are even more up-to-date.

I imagine alot has changed in response to lessons learned since 2003 in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chris

Hi guys -

Thanks for the tips. I did check out the Global Security site, and it's a good start. I recognize this as the old FAS.org site, and a lot of the information is getting pretty dated. Many entries describe "planned for introduction in 2003..." etc, so I wonder if there are other resources that are even more up-to-date.

I imagine alot has changed in response to lessons learned since 2003 in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chris

One of the problems is that these things change extremely rapidly. Since 2003 (the beginning of the Iraq war), new equipment has been aquired and delivered at an extreme place. A good example is the MRAP's; the mine-protected armoured trucks much used in Iraq. Some have been in use for quite some time (notably by EOD units and such), but the bulk of MRAP vehicles (and there are lots of them now, so many that front line commanders actually asked for delivery to be slowed down) have been delivered to a wide range of units within a very short period of time. And just to make sure it's as confusing as possible. There isn't just one MRAP but a whole range of vehicles in different models and sizes, from different manufacturers.

Unless you sift through a host of defense news websites, newsletters and press releases on a more or less daily basis, it's almost impossible to keep up with the changes. There are some people who keep track of these things for a living, but they don't come cheap.

The Army has all the field manuals online. This is very useful and usable information for the wargamer, in fact it is about the top of the crop when it comes to "how do I...":

Popular: http://www.army.mil/USAPA/doctrine/index.html

More: http://www.army.mil/USAPA/doctrine/Active_FM.html

Yours truly publisher BFC also sell's MajorH's (of TacOps fame) of manuals that has been preselected for interesting stuff, some hard to get items and put on a CD at a low price.

%%

The one and only publication to get a real grip on what's going on on the ground in Iraq, Afghanistan and at home is the Marine Corps Gazette. A monthly magazine full of valuable info. And you get all the self-bashing you might want to read, too.

The Army has "Armor" (I think it's called "Armor and Cavalry" now), a bi-monthly magazine. But it's much less boots-on-ground and contains less info that seems valuable for outsiders compared to the Marines' Gazette.

Get the Gazette and work through some field manuals. It's not the same as regular books that don't really teach (Isby, Zaloga etc. excepted).

The Army has all the field manuals online. This is very useful and usable information for the wargamer, in fact it is about the top of the crop when it comes to "how do I...":

Popular: http://www.army.mil/USAPA/doctrine/index.html

More: http://www.army.mil/USAPA/doctrine/Active_FM.html

To access those FMs you need an AKO account.

• 1 year later...