In praise of 1.10 MOUT

I felt the need to heap some praise on BF for the awesome job they have done with 1.10 [haven't got marines yet, but the patch makes it almost a totally new game].

MOUT ops especially are deeply rewarding and the new fixes/additions visibly and tangibly reward sensible tactical thinking and manouvering in a way not done previously.

I've been engrossed for the past few days in a scenario of my own making; simple blue v red urban clearing with approx 1:3 ratio of units.

Previously I would've given up on this getting disheartened with the TacAI suicidal or just inane silliness at times and not being able to manage split squads, squads not going where I wanted them to etc.

1.10 has changed this totally.

It's like playing a movie each and every time consistently doing almost precisely what I want it to do. Awesome BF!

Squad and split-squad behaviour is just amazing, and they recombine more consistently too. No more wandering half squads.

Now I can split a squad, run up a point unit of 3 men, cover with the remaining 6, split aqgain, run another 3 up, and so on. Faultless, every time.

The action spot is a godsend.

Troops line for cover alongside buildings sensibly.

They get into better positions to accomodate target arcs around buildings.

Firing on the move is fantastic.

Positioning themselves in good cover for target positioning is awesome.

Running for cover while under fire rather than crawling makes heaps more sense.

Yes Ok there's a few little niggles but these just pale for me compared to the whole overall experience that 1.10 has brought to the game. Good on you Battlefront and thank you.

Yes infantry combat is vastly improved. For me it's the biggest improvement in 1.10 and a critical one at that since this really is the guts of the game. It's great to see a quality squad get ambushed, stand toe to toe with the enemy, often giving better than their taking, then seek cover. Instead of hitting the dirt and crawling around pretending to be invisible. Now a peek / shoot round corners ability would be nice. Anyhow well done Battlefront!

I was playtesting a mission of mine with v1.10 last week where a Syrian Mech Company makes an assault on a small town. Playing as the defender, I used to be able to position my troops to have lanes of fire down the roads where the attacker would have to come. I would open fire, pin them and they would lie in the street until they died. Not so with v1.10. Okay, they still took a big hit from my defensive fire, but instead of hunkering down and dying in the street, they ran into the buildings from where the survivors would return fire on my defenders. Wow. It's a whole new game.

That's totally it hey? No more crawling around aimlessly; the TacAI on bith sides seems to be making smart decisions all the time - indeed especially noticeable in those "caught under fire by suprise" moments that used to be a fair dinkum end to the pixels involved but which now they can actually get out of in a tactical manner.

Lampshade111,

1.10 has certainly improved MOUT combat but I don't like how the M4A1s have been switched to three-round burst. The standard M4 has three-round burst while the M4A1 used by most Army soldiers in the game has full automatic.

Correct about the burst vs. full auto features. However, as far as we can tell the M4A1 (which is like the M16A3) is for Special Ops use, not standard line use. Instead the Army uses an upgraded M4 (M16A2, but with Picatinny Rail features of the A3/A4).

http://www.army.mil/factfiles/equipment/individual/m4.html

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/12/army_m4_hearing_071217w/

http://www.colt.com/mil/M4.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Carbine

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as17-e.htm

Do we have it wrong?

Steve

Lampshade111,

Correct about the burst vs. full auto features. However, as far as we can tell the M4A1 (which is like the M16A3) is for Special Ops use, not standard line use. Instead the Army uses an upgraded M4 (M16A2, but with Picatinny Rail features of the A3/A4).

Do we have it wrong?

Steve

I thought I read once that Stryker brigades and other "modernized" units have M4A1s these days. Yet even if they carbines in CM:SF are supposed to be M4s they are all listed as M4A1s, so why not leave them as they were?

Perhaps "excellent" quality could give M4A1s while all others just give M4s?

How do you get your guys to line up at a wall or building using cover arcs? I have found that I can't get LOS around corners without shoving the squad around the corner. I'm looking for a way to get 2, 3 guys to be prone/kneeling/standing at a corner for LOS on a cover arc facing down a road at a 90 degree angle to the wall, for example.

To be honest Adam1 I don't know, it just seems to "happen". The action spot square is a big help though; if i place it right next to a building with a facing or cover arc paralell to the direction of wall they'll make a nice neat line along the wall. With corners the same, place the action spot on the wall, give a target arc "around the corner" and more often than not they'll manouver tpo a position of cover behind the wall but able to target/LOS around the corner. more easily seen with 3 man teams and it seems this is really where the 1.10 TacAI really shines when splitting squads too. Have seen them manouver themselves into good positions many times.

Hi Adam,

I had a closer look at this and what it seems is if I put the action spot 'between' two buildings, with a facing perpendicular to them then they line up paralell to the walls which gives them cover, I guess this is more about units moving to better cover corresponding to a facing though than shooting round corners. :(