Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hexes units can enter

It is determined by the type of (square) - sea or land. The type that is mostly filled with land is usually land. One of the islands is land, and the sea+land = narrow straits that ships can pass through only if you own the land.

I am working on essentially that in my game (world campaign like WiF) - in fact using a lot of what they are doing on their maps as a guide (terrain, rail, to an extent resources) but also adjusting by reviewing atlas and info myself.

Take any map save it as source.bmp (must be bitmap)

run the mapgen.exe

look at map.txt (1st 2 numbers are the X and Y size of the map)

load editor

new map (put in X and Y)

hit F5 and select the map.txt to load up.... wala new map.

But read the readme file for the mapgen in the extras directory. I made my World in Flames map with it and adjusted its size and shape in Photoshop so I could make the game. Its very very nice.

Im am 66% done with designing my World in Flames map. It covers the whole war in a larger scale than SC2. It will be from Division to Army level (divs for pacific mostly).

Trying to make a historical production system not based on reinforcements.

I started to learn JAVA to write my own program but then I discovered SC2's editor section and while SC2 is not exactly what I had in mind Im sure it would be a better game than anything I could make and take considerably shorter.

Hubert, thanks for the kudos, but it's you we should be thanking...

Here's a screenie of the massive map I'm working on... full world scale and 399x98 tiles!!! HUGE!!! SOmehow I was able to get the program to go beyond the 256 tiles wide.

This is the U.K. and Ireland area... so much to do... this is fun... my way of relaxing really.

post-9778-141867620702_thumb.jpg

Okay SeaMonkey... Here's a shot of Hawaiin Islands / Pearl Harbor...

Keep in mind that I'm still tweaking out the terrain, and I wish we had more terrain tiles... but alas, we will do what we can with what we have. I'm trying to find a balance in accuracy, aesthetics, and gameplay.

Let me know what you think:

post-9778-141867620703_thumb.jpg

GZ, take a page from the new SC PTO screenshots. Although I understand that you are considering relative scale, you'll have to enhance the islands to allow for gameplay.

There will have to be room enough for landings and combat. I would suggest that an island group may need the imaginary connection (between islets) even though in reality it doesn't exist.

My suggestion is the minimum number of maneuver tiles for an island group would be 4. Enough room for deployment of an infantry, artillery, anti-air, and airgroup units or some similar configuration, mutually supporting. You'll also need a port facility, perhaps a hamlet, for minimum supply and naval harboring.

Don't forget engineer units for building fortifications, ie air strips, will need maneuver room also.

I'm sure you'll figure out an acceptable conglomeration.:)

No kidding how did you get it so big? I had to really work photoshop to get it done within the scales.

BigAl, I took your step-by-step directions and learned how to do the map... then...

I didn't go by the scales. I just made a big map file in photoshop (90MB!). Once the figures where imported into the notepad txt file, I could see that the first (top) number was greater than 256. When I opened editor, it was indeed wider. I kept widening and trying out different options until I got a really wide map. Not so successful getting the height. I will certainly do some testing this weekend. I think if the PC processor and RAM are powerful than it will be a playable map. Either way it was fun breaking the rules!!!!