No LOS? Never mind!

Sivodsi

It was quite frustrating maneuvering my BMPs into LOS during this PBEM game. From eyeballing it the position should have been a turret down position on my worthy opponents vehicles, and when checked LOS with 'target' it showed clear right where the enemy BMPs should have been. So what the hell, lets try area fire and see what happens next move. Sure enough, a few strikes resulted, right on the edge of his mud guard, as you can see in this screen shot. Apparently this was enough to trigger one of those nuclear explosions (the haze you see in the upper part of the screen is the start of it). What were they doing, stowing their RPGs in the wheel well?

areafireresultky9.jpg

There are a couple of interesting points about this.

1) It must be a LOS quirk that I can area fire upon APCs that I cannot see.

2) A catastrophic explosion results from a strike in a seemingly non-essential part of the BMP (I know the catastrophic explosions have been toned down in the next patch, the issue here is what triggers them).

I'm sure these points have been noticed before, right? And have been fixed in the next patch? If anybody's interested the PBEM moves are available.

These are indeed interesting issues.

It will be very difficult to reproduce this specific situation, though, as I suppose that 1.08 save games will not load in 1.10.

But point 2 certain lends itself well to some dedicated testing.

I agree with you that issue 1 should not happen either!

Best regards,

Thomm

Skinned Puppy, as catastrophes go, yours is a clear winner! However, I came close a while back (no pic, I'm afraid) when an earthquake from nowhere removed every single bush and tree, and reduced all low walls to smoking rubble, across the entire map.

Never had it before or since, and I sent the save to BF as a bug report, so am assuming it's been addressed.

Was that catastrophic explosion this catastrophic?

Unfortunately not. The BMP in front came through the explosion quite unscathed. Later on it suffered some casualties from area fire from the same source (those two BMP on the hill in the background, in case it wasn't obvious).

I should also add that non-LOS area firing that leads to a catastrophic explosion happens twice in this one minute of action.

I almost feel sorry for my opponent.

Electrical flashback to the fuel line, which in turn melts and flashes back to the fuel tank.

My uneducated and wild guess.

:eek: ummm... you're kidding...? Right? Is this possible? Does this also happen on US vehicles, or is it only on BMPs? Documentary evidence?

And if it is possible, its too scary to contemplate if this level of detail is simulated in the damage model...

No no, you're pulling my leg.... aren't you?

Well, look where the headlamps are. The electric wiring has to run along the inside of that shelf. Which leads back to the battery, which is stored near the engine which is above and sideways to the fuel tank. I would say BFC have modelled this very accurately.

Flashbacks are deadly in vehicles.

Sivodsi,

It is fairly easy to reproduce your report with a vehicle almost completely obscured by a building.

My conclusions: obviously, LOS checks are only performed for the turret center at present, whether we like it or not.

The catastrophic explosion thingy might have to do with some random chance of exploding (I hate randomness!) The BMP that I targetted took multiple 30 mm rounds in the aft corner section before exploding.

Best regards,

Thomm

Can't comment on 2 but 1 happens to me all the time, I understand infantry hiding in enemy LOS but vehicles can do it too. I run into tanks not seeing tanks right in front of them all the time (much more common with Red but even without TIS they should still be able to see things right in front of them or in the open). BMPs are particularly bad as well, I can understand a vehicle hiding in some trees but when you come over a hill and drive 100m without seeing a BMP parked 300m ahead in the open I get worried.

Spotting right in front of your units could be better. There is so much randomness its insane. In CMx1 more or less I knew what was going to work, who is going to see who etc etc. CMSF is quite unpredictable, in LOS/LOF/Cover/ Unit response that you can never be certain about your moves. Patches have improved things a lot but sometimes its just dice rolling and pray.

Sivodsi,

My conclusions: obviously, LOS checks are only performed for the turret center at present, whether we like it or not.

You mean turret center of the vehicle being spotted? So if my BMP can't see the middle of an enemy vehicle, it will be out of LOS? It makes sense now why I could hit them without seeing them. This would be one of those shortcuts that make the calculations doable by a home PC, I guess.