So as I read this...SC2 Blitz+WAW does not give you the ability to include Japan and other countries?

I'm not sure whether you guys realized that there are two (2!) mods for download on cmmods (one for WaW and one for PDE) that are conversions of the original world in conflict scenario, INCLUDING Japan and many other countries.

Samichlaus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw yours Sami - I know you have bitmaps for the Japanese they are good enough for play but by the time I am ready for that the expansion will probably have some more polished new ones. Meanwhile I may ask for help - or for that matter you can use my map if you like it when I am done. It may take awhile to do.

Updates:

1 - I had my calculations wrong, when I re-did it on a spreadsheet I saw I could expand the scale for more of the world - in fact I now have 150 degrees at 1 per - so I think I went from -10 to 80 and then from 100 to 160 or so. I put it in an XL spreadsheet so that for example if I want to locate a city in the US I can put in the lat/long coordinates and find the exact map coordinates.

2 - I have to shift the map so the US is connected - I do find that the "unconnected resource" issue in the game is not what I expected - I thought that you should be able to connect by sea. However - does this mean that Canada gets "connected" once the USA joins?

3 - Overall the map looks very good, I am so far pleased with it. I have Europe done, Scandinavia, and a lot of the Russian cities mapped out. I have put in some terrain and rivers too but not all, as I am doing that as a relief from pure tile work.

4 - I will probably be taking from WiF map on matrix some ideas - scale is much finer - but in general I am using the rivers they use (looking at a map so many rivers no idea which ones are important often) - plus some of their terrain too - but also double check with various other sources and maps.

I am using PDE since the editor has the decisions and still has 6 majors. Japan's graphics will get ported over. The flags I will change once I have the minors all worked out. I may also want to use some of the new graphics for the eastern cities once they are made too - also I am sure there will be jungle too. However - I won't be able to add an actual terrain type will I?

I am not sure about the nations - I have a script with the names but the cuba add is causing me some confusion. I see estonia=estonia in my script but I don't have it as an option in the editor? Maybe I added it. I have to figure out why that is there and not showing up.

I am obsessed with global campaigns - spent years making my own for PG II - played it but building took as much if not more time. Basically w/that all the strategic parts were handled outside of the game, and the battles were then zoomed into for PG II play custom made for components of each battle - that was more work.

The map is gonna take a long time anyway... but good news is I was in error on Pacific it will still have 6 majors so this will be ported to that before it is finished.

Are you asking me? I will post it there at some point I am not sure I want to only very partially done.

I also determined that Italy will have to be a minor instead of France. I need the Allies to have Paris so they can connect their cities since you can't make a connection by sea. Italy stays connected to Berlin so other than the fact that they won't have their own research and diplomacy, which is not a huge deal, and their units won't have their own symbols, it should not matter all that much. I will kind of miss their own symbols for units. Unless someone has some other solution they can think of.

I will then make Italian upgrades like most of the minors cost +100% to keep them limited.

Updates:

However - I won't be able to add an actual terrain type will I?

Yes you will. You have to change the name (and probably graphics) for an existing terrain type and then alter the values for combat modifiers and movement costs for your new terrain type. I, for example, renamed the bocage terrain type to jungle, changed the graphics and the values. Of course I am no more able to use bocage as bocage in the game then.

Oh good - I think I will use the new ones but I certainly don't need the field one. I used Bocage for northern france.

If you don't need the field type, you can change the graphics into anything you want and alter the movement and combat values according to the desired terrain type.

Right now I am using sami's beta 1.1 as a global. I modded the counters for Japanese use (a nice red instead of blue).

If you are interested Nupremal email me winky3x17 on my hotmail account.

I have played every grand strategy game (board and PC) there is. I read a lot of WW2 books, some uknown gems. I also have OOBs for all major powers, accurate production, oil, just about everything you need to make a grand strategy game. I have a modded 1939 scenario for WaW based more on historical figures balancing with game play. I actually replaced special forces and anti tank with mechanized and tank destroyers to better fit the scale. I did the graphics myself. I actually find it tough to play the axis vs the PC.

I'll be willing to help you.

As for your map I would split id down the middle of the USA. The panama canal is where the loop goes and below south america. This way you can plan anywhere on the map without problems. If the Axis get to america the game's over anyways.

I kept US together because otherwise they won't get full production of units. Actually it is coming along well. Africa is ridiculously big but then again it is. TD units sound interesting used them instead of AT Guns?

Would like to see some of the graphics I am not too good at making new stuff though I can cut and paste - using paint is annoying though it is so limited. Better programs are hard to learn though (and pricy).

Using the PDE engine.

Right now I am using sami's beta 1.1 as a global. I modded the counters for Japanese use (a nice red instead of blue).

I'm glad you're using my mod but may I suggest you buy the PDE expansion and use my global conflict mod for PDE? There are some changes to the japanese graphics (blue dots?!?). PDE offers decision events (see other threads) and there are some WWII mods available (Honch, Thrawn, A3R to mention some) apart from the included Storm of Steel campaign.

Sami