big problems with QBs

Just got the game (yes, finally!, download from BF, patched 1.08) and trying to play around and learn a few things in QBs, but for about 50% of the battles I try to play, after deploying my troops and hitting the "go" button, I'm suddenly switched to control of the red team with the clock running (and despite selecting an attack or assault, sometimes these red forces are just clustered at the edge of the map). If I had given my team orders before I hit start, they carry these out, but I have no control of and no spotting on blue forces before they come into view of red. I do have control of red, but they are already deployed. This has happened repeatedly with 1player/realtime and happened the one time I tried 1player/wego.

I think there may be a correlation between these battles where I am randomly switched to red and the mission hanging at 62% loading for a very long time before finally loading. Also there may be an indication that this is going to happen when the camera loads in to the map on the complete opposite side from my forces, but I'm less sure on that. Otherwise, I can see no rhyme or reason.

Also, I am unable to get sound mods, or even a single .wave file, to work in the game without CTD.

:/

• 5 weeks later...

Are you playing these QB's as single player or Hotseat? What side are you choosing to play? Obviously you won't see any enemy units until they come into sight so I am not sure why you think that is a problem.

Initial camera position is actually set by the scenario designer when he first created the map so that should not be any indication of a problem.

What sound mods are you trying to use and where are you putting the files? Also, they should be .wav not .waves.

Madmatt

• 9 months later...

Hello,

sorry to dig out this old thread, but this is the only one I found about this subject.

Is there anything new about this bug?

For me (Shock Force Base Game + Marinesmodule) it still occurs.

On the loading screen it first hangs at 77 %, second symptom is, that it is not possible to save because the field where you specifice the name of the save is full of hieroglyphics...

Same behavior as described (switch to red side, no longer control about the own forces etc etc)

I could reproduce the bug with following settings (sorry but on german, I don't want to risk to manipulate informations with my bad english!):

Angriff

Wald

Mini

Juni 2008

Tag

Klar

Angreifer:

US Marines

Infantrie

Mittlere Infantrie

Normal

fit

-20%

Verteidiger

Syrische Armee

Spezielstreitkräfte

Leichte Infantrie

Gut

fit

I chose always BLUE

Greetings, Alex

Questions:

1. Does this Always happen w/QB's

2. Are you able to play large non QB scen without trouble?

3. Your PC RAM/ Video Card?

4. Do you play the game with email notifier software running in the background. Other Software running?

5. What are your game settings?

My real concern for your particular issues would be 1st to look at the install. Those hieroglyphics make me wonder. And to answer the main question: Since V 1.08 there have been a number of improvements with the Maps. Early maps were often subject to reversed unit setups and have been systematically found and fixed. So when players are having problems like you describe it has boiled down to some kind of hardware/software conflict. I can assure you that BFC is aware... ;)

MarkEzra

I switched microprocessors and motherboard on my system because of a motherboard failure and the problem for me seems to have gone away (so far).

I'm still running on Intel, but I switched from a Q6600 to an E7400 and an Intel motherboard from an Nvidia chipset. Nothing else in my system changed except the problems with QB's. Could this be a problem with certain multi-core processors? Or even possibly chipsets?

MarkEzra

Could this be a problem with certain multi-core processors? Or even possibly chipsets?

I'm so glad you are able to finally play a QB! I am actually the last guy to answer ANY PC technical question. But I do believe that hardware conflicts are on the WTF list.

MarcEzra

1.) No! Especialiy if I chose forest...I think I had the problem too at other enviroments, but have no prove for this! At the moment I can only reproduce the bug with the settings I mentioned.

2.) Yep!

3.) NIVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT...at this point I want to say, that this is the 2nd PC I installed SF + Marines (this one is a 4 core). The first PC was a single core with a Nividia 7800 and there the problem appeared, too! Tomorrow I will try to reproduce the bug there, too.

4.) the only known software what is running simultaneously is AntiVir

5.) Everything on highest. (at this point I have to refer to my first PC where I had NOT all on highest)

What make me wonder is, that I have this phenomen on 2 different PC's...

Forgotten to say:

- Main-game is from Paradox

- didn't download any other maps

Thank you for your response!

Still a great game, it' s only annoying!

I'am the only one with this problem?

Do you need any other information?

Greetings, Alex

I recall seeing this problem like a billion years ago but haven't had it since. One thing that worry's me is you setting everything to 'Highest'. I don't know what part of the game would be likely to give out first if the processor is being overtaxed. For me its usually the screen renderings that give up the ghost first. Do you get this problem playing "balanced' setting?

Hello,

made this time everything on 'fastest'...same effect...

And I have to excuse, because my details were imprecise...the resuloution was always 1024 X 768.

tried 1280 X 960 now but had then a CTD...this didn't mean anything, had often CTD's after too much retries with different settings...

Sorry for my bad english...I hope my explanations are understandable!

Greetings, Alex

I think you guys are swatting at phantoms....I don't think this has anything to do with the graphics card.

Best thing to do is start a reporting thread and have individuals who suffer from this problem list off a VERY detailed rundown of software drivers and hardware on their systems.

Proper troubleshooting can be arduous, but it's the only way to ensure any hope of progress on this weird problem.

At the moment I suspect my installation of the game.

When I transfered the downloaded quickbattle maps from my first installation, the game didn't regognized a single map.

Additionaly I noticed that when I chose the difficulty of the game, I can chose "iron"...I am playing on german, shouldn't there be "Eisen"?

If I want to reinstall my game, have I first to unregister?

And If I have a paradox version of the main game, have I only to install the main game and module or any additional patch?

Greetings and thanks for the help!

Alex

(it was not possible to reproduce the bug with the described settings at my first installation)

anyone who still has a problem like;

On the loading screen it first hangs at 77 %, second symptom is, that it is not possible to save because the field where you specifice the name of the save is full of hieroglyphics...

since i have my new graphics card(GTX 275) i had this too. solution was to turn of "threaded optimisation" in the Nvidia controllpanel/systemsteuerung as i had to do for me 7950GT too.

now i can save again normaly and the porformance is up to what i was used too. when i had threading optimisation ON or AUTO befor, i had quiet bad FPS too and the game game hand at 77% a long time, however it does not hang up it just loads a long time(strangely hitting ESC seemed to speed it up :D ).

i had similar problems with FPS on my Gforce 7950GT when threaded optimisation was set to ON or AUTO, but i didnt had the hierogyphs as i had with my newest card :D

no, usually not, however teh game must not be running while you make the change ;)

anyways i read your original post again and i have to say i only fixed this stuff you have partly for myself.

- i fixed the hieroglyphs with threading optimisation it seems

- i fixed my bad performace with threading optimisation

- i came around to notice that my QB´s are messed up simmilar to yours. but for me it looks like this; "I select Turn based - Iron, start the game, and in game i am still the side selected and all fine, but suddenly i play realtime and elite mode, wich is horror in realtime :D

the only thing i changed was a new graphics card. my verry old Gforce 7950GT was fine, my ATI HD 3870 was fine, but the GTX 275 gives me troubles. however at the same time i have the best performance i ever had in CMx2 now, my QBs are broken but i can play armor attacks with no less then 30 to 35 FPS. average about 40 to 50.