Wandering half-squads

I have now noticed more than once that at times my men take a big detour to the rear before moving off to their ordered destinations. This seems to occur only to split off teams and the detours have been straight towards the friendly side, ie presumed retreat direction. At times they get on to their proper destination after a ~100 meter detour. But in one instance I did not get them moving forward at all, very frustrating. Particularly since most other pathing problems seem to be gone.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else using teams extensively?

I concur, have had this in 1.08 myself too; yes, seems to have happened only once squads have been split.

I do split teams often especially in MOUT I find it almost imperative, but sometimes their behaviour makes that difficult [swearing, spitting, slouching, that kind of thing] :) hahah, no, but really, split squads have gone wandering off retracing their steps which makes managing them difficult at best coz they seem to ignore any attempts to get them back on track until they're reached whatever far away destination they were inexorably heading for.

Just saw this this morning with a split AT team.

I decided to fire this game up again after 6 months or so (I dont know why), and had my whole attack bunged up because one stupid team was having a siezure.

The AI pathfinding in this game has been retarded from the begining. They cant get it right after 3 or 4 patches, it aint never going to be fixed. (they're already working on the next game...fix this POS first.)

Easy on there Echo old boy

Sure there are issues that remain, but having followed the development of this game I am absolutely positive these things will get ironed out.

Have faith in Charles et al to get this sorted.

The recent news regarding the improved AI for infantry which will come with 1.1 (Marines) will go a long way to improve this crucial part of the game.

Indeed, and a lot of effort went into improving behavior with teams and split squads as well. All of this is part of a deep infantry-improvement package that we worked on. It includes better handling of walls and e.g. building corners, ridges and the like.

Perfect? Certainly not. But it's a big leap ahead of 1.08. Now I need to shut up before Steve finds out that I've been leaking stuff :) If anyone asks, I wasn't even here.

Bonxa - shouldn't you be worrying more about those guys who keep getting lost in the game? You know the answer will be 'When its released'. I don't blame you for asking - I'm gnawing my arm off for the new module and I'm a Brit with very little interest in the USMC (I owe them a Camp Cot from 1990 - which might explain it).

• 1 month later...

Bumping this coz the wandering split squads is still going on and was especially noticed last night with a wandering split team running back and forth across the main road in Abandoned Airfield scenario of the campign.

Bummer was they kept stopping and lying down in the middle of the road after they'd run back to where they liked to run back to. End result after a few WEGO's is that this squad is either lying in the middle of the road or running back to some point from a few turns previous.

Has this been fixed in 1.10 in which case I'll wait out for it; if not I have a savegame thos it's 13Mb, but if it still needs looking at I'll try and recreate a smaller one.

cheers

MiR

Combatintman,

I agree. The USMC is a fine fighting force but it's the game improvements that I am looking forward too.

When they do the Brit module I am gonna be seeing my doctor for large doses of Prozac to keep me calm. I swear looking at those videos of the brit vehicles I can smell the fuel vapours and hear Corporal Muir swearing and cursing us all to hell and back with a pack of rats up our arses.

Happy days.