Allah's Army Sound Mod

posted at Cmmods.

As the American commander you will shiver as the cries of Allahu Akbar drift across the battlefield. As the insurgent, holy fighter, you will revel in the glories of Allah as you shout your

triumph and attack.

See readme for more info.

aasplashuv8.jpg

Feedback is much appreciated.

Mord.

I actually made it for scenarios featuring insurgents...but you could very well use it with the Radio Chat mod...it wouldn't interfere. It's not designed the same way though, as far as chatter and static and actual talking mixed with the background file. I made it more to give the Uncons some character and zing to help balance out the plain sounding Syrian wavs. I wanted to add some spirit and fanaticism to the atmosphere.

Mord.

Thanks fellas. That one was a marathon, about 30 hours over a few days.

As you use it, I'd love to get your impressions of the sound bites, too many, not enough, too much repetition? It was tricky as hell to make. There's about 32 different wavs, 21 of which would be what I'd call exclamations and the rest were flavor chatter, for lack of a better term. I had to stagger and duplicate them in all those different folders to increase the chances of them being used, but I felt they could be used under those headings. (Actually I may have wasted some time because I still haven't figured out if the heavy targeting group of wavs are tank and AFV specific or not). We don't have any cheering type wavs ("Take that Fritz!") like in CMX1 which would've been nice. Seems that certain things are only uttered once per order, such as the targeting commands, and in WEGO those only seemed to be shouted during the orders phase. RT guys probably will hear more because they change commands on the fly. I am hoping that I hit the mark though, and they are "baby bear", just right. I have to play around with it more. Haven't had much time because I am mostly editing, checking, pulling my hair out, swearing and getting a few minutes in of actual game play to hear how it really sounds.

Bodkin, I still have those US wavs on my radar (This one came up and I found it so interesting it diverted my attention away from everything else). That however is probably gonna take some acting LOL, I am probably gonna have to do some actual recording.

What would be really cool is if I could enlist some of you guys here for voice talent. Get some clean, short phrases, from a few different people to keep the voice/accent/tonality repetition down.

So, there are still a few sound mods in the pipeline, along with continued work on the US Radio Chatter, just gonna take a while.

Mord.

I'm not an audio guy, but I ran across a very nice nice MP3 resource for various adhans (Muslim 5x daily calls to prayer).

http://tanzil.info/praytime/audio

While these are clearly some of the world's leading (most musically talented) muezzins and therefore not typical (just ask an Iraq/Afghan vet), in an urban area with multiple mosques you'd have several of these going on at once on sound systems of varying quality, creating an eerie cacophony. Rival muezzins sometimes actually "duel" each other, alternating the verses (most famous example being the Aya Sofiya and Blue mosques in Istanbul).

Something like this would add a very nice ambience to a MOUT scenario. Except that you'd only really hear the calls once in a given scenario for a few minutes, not in a loop. (If you heard more than that, it would probably be the imam warning the locals that the infidel crusaders are conducting an operation in force in the Habaniyah district and are moving south to north, etc. etc. come out and smite them).

Any ideas on how to have this file play only once at a predetermined time in a scenario? Or maybe just at the start.

For those who are interested, here is a transcription and a translation of what they're singing.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan

LLF, I cannot think of any way this could be done without the chance of it being repeated...even if I made a background that played an hour (which would be one huge file) you'd still hear a repeat at some point depending on how long the scenario took to play. In Wego (and maybe RT as well) the loop never stops playing even while in the orders phase.

It could be put in the Arabic Chatter folder but there'd be the chance that it was either never chosen or repeated.

Madmatt, mentioned a while back that they had coded the editor so that we could place sounds on the maps, but didn't have the time to implement them. If that ever changes it would be perfect for what you want.

I'll mull this over for you and see if I can come up with something but it's not gonna be close to what you need.

Mord.

Thanks man. I got a rating at CMMODs and it was a two but the guy didn't leave me any feedback as to why he felt that way. I played a game the other night that was insurgent intensive and heard just enough of the wavs to make it interesting without going overboard, though I am still thinking I wasted some of their placements. I am about 80% happy with it and am glad you are enjoying it.

Mord.

Yep. That's why I suggest in the read me to use it just with the Uncons, doesn't sound right when professional soldiers are saying it. Easy enough though, just pull the Allah's Army folder out of the z folder when you play a Syrian Army scenario. One of the great features about the z folder is anything in it only temporary overwrites the stock wavs. Once a Brz or wav or bmp is removed from the z folder the game automatically snaps back to using original wavs and bmps. Major point for those that don't know, CMSF has to be shut down for changes to take effect, either when trying out a mod or removing one.

Mord.