Modding problem

I have tried to work a bit on the explosion-effects, but when I put them in the game, the explosion is surrounded by a black square. I'm using PaintShopPro 8. Since the bmp format doesn't seem to offer much options as for example multiple layers (at least in PSP8 I use), I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Help would be fine!

You need to save the file as a 32-bit bmp to preserve the alpha channel.

I don't know PSP8, but the all newer graphic editors should be able to handle 32-bit bmps.

Okay, thanks. Seems I will finally have to learn to use Photoshop...

In PSP:

Make an empty layer.

Copy your graphics to another layer above the empty layer, and hide the original.

Delete the required-to-be-empty spaces in the copied layer. You should now have an image with a transparent background. (Shown as a checkerboard effect.)

Set background-pen colour to black.

Save the file as a .png

Open the .png in Paint (the freebie useless thing that comes with windows.)

Select "Save As" and choose 24-bit BMP. (Paint will actually save as a 32bit bmp)

Save file.

IMPORTANT- restart CMSF. (Otherwise you'll find the whole texture has disappeared.)

Thanks for the help Marco! I haven't solve all problems yet, but this should get me on the right track.

Another question - the explosion animation is build by 25 BMPs. Would CMSF use for example 30 BMPs if they would be there? I don't expect this seriously, but who knows...

Well, finally I made it.

Generally, the BMP format doesn't seem to be the state of the art format for textures today. I wonder why BTS stayed with it. Seems to me that transparency for example can be realized much easier and better with the also very common PNG format?

Okay, thanks. Seems I will finally have to learn to use Photoshop...

I'm not a Photoshop fan boy, in fact I resisted using Photoshop for years when first starting to mod games, always trying to go the GIMP/free route.

Eventually it got so frustrating dealing with simple problems (very similiar to yours) when using the free stuff that I gave in and bugged enough friends untill I found a copy of CS2.

Since using Photoshop, I've had no problems with anything.

It is the industry standard, so using it eliminates many compatability issues with file types.

Another question: when I replace the BMP for a ground texture like cliffs, it works pretty fine on close distance, but in some distance the texture is switched to an original texture of - as I guess - lower quality, but I can't find a low quality texture for the cliffs. Any ideas?