New Campaign in Design: Task Force Panther

Hey folks,

I was originally working on a series of 82nd Airborne scenarios, and have decided to make a campaign instead.

The campaign is titled Task Force Panther. The player will command Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment. The campaign will be about 6 missions long (tentative), and takes place in the same story line as Task Force Thunder. Task Force Panther's mission to make a combat jump onto Aleppo International, hold the airport, and afterwards assist the First Infantry Division with the taking of Aleppo, as well as other side missions.

83348873vt2.png

21311500om2.th.jpg

Because I am a full-time uni student with a job on the side, I can't devote nearly as much time to it as I would like... so the campaign will probably not be ready for several months.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

Seabee definitely has the order correctly. Although with spring break coming up, class can go to the back of the line for a week. ;)

Whoever, made "Afghani-Stan", I have got to steal the tactical map style. Love the map screen shot modded to look like thermals.

ETAL Forgot to mention. The campaign will come with an optional custom mod package. It will feature some new interface features, with such classics as "Blood on the Risers" from the All American Chorus as menu music. :D And, at the very least, proper unit patches for the men. Maybe more.

First scenario is almost complete; play-testing it now. The rest are fleshed out, but map making takes some time for me, since my maps are usually details oriented. Give me a few minutes, and I will post some screen shots of Aleppo International. Some may remember a previous scenario of it, this has been re-done to correct scale.

The map is from Microsoft Student Atlas.

Sweet. I assume you're trying to model the actual layout of the area?

I've been trying to do that with a few areas, but it takes an awful lot of time to do. Where I have made progress, I find that the resulting map is too large/complex to run smoothly on my machine with any decent number of units. :/

Here's to hoping you have better luck. Those pics look awesome.

Originally posted by Peach Operations:

Sweet. I assume you're trying to model the actual layout of the area?

I made a grid that I can lay over a screen shot of google earth. This grid is scaled to CMSF, and allows fast placement of buildings and determination of spatial relationships. Errors tend to compound anyways as I work my way across the map, but this is minimized by working sequentially from the most important side to the least important side.

As usual, the most time consuming part is getting the buildings in order (doors, windows, etc). This takes FOREVER and there is no shortcut that I am aware of.

The first scenario is ready for playtesting. If two-three players would like to have a crack at it, send me an email. I have already played it a couple of times, so there are no major issues, only balance and pace needs to be fine-tuned. More details in email.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I could use help from a few people. I have gotten a report of exceptionally low FPS during the first scenario, and I would like a few people to try the scenario out on their systems. You do not have to play the whole thing, just start it up and run a turn or two and see how fast/laggy it is. If more people report it I need to make adjustments. Please email me if you would like to take a look.

The PDF idea is great, although you might want to proof read it a bit before release as I've spotted one error already:

"If needed, they can also used for immediate suppression" should read "If needed, they can also be used for immediate suppression".

I can proof read it for you if you like, as I did for Webwing's PDF, but I'm a little busy until after the 25th April.

I think BFC should provide support for PDFs like yours and Webwing's, by allowing an optional link in the briefing that if clicked opens a provided PDF. I think I'll mention it in the "Where do we go from here" thread.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

The PDF idea is great, although you might want to proof read it a bit before release as I've spotted one error already:

"If needed, they can also used for immediate suppression" should read "If needed, they can also be used for immediate suppression".

I haven't run it through its first proofing yet.

[ April 14, 2008, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Normal Dude ]

Normal Dude,

It's a pleasure to witness your work in progress.

The PDF is looking great! A lot more military oriented than mine with all those symbols and information.

Cpl Steiner helped me with the text and I have to say it was a great help.

It's just too much work and if you can find people to help you, accept it right away! ;)

Of course it's up to you. Some people have a very specific idea of how they want things done and enjoy doing every little thing themselves.

It's clear to see how much attention you are giving to every detail. I sure know how much work that means.

Fantastic work!!!

-