Large Rural Map number 2 up at CMmods

Guys hi

Just a word to say that my second large rural map is available for download at Cmmods.com.

This map also 1296 x 896 metres, very dense terrain, plenty of orchards leading up to a plateau top. Height from 10 to 50 metres across the map

sf12.jpg

sf11.jpg

Damaged Hotel and car park

sf10.jpg

Shopping mall and sports field

sf7.jpg

An improved trench position

sf9.jpg

Let me know what you think, some AI plans for it next up

Pete

[ September 15, 2007, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Pete Wenman ]

pete, your map is great. however, i tried to create a infantry scenario using it pitting a heavily reinforced american infantry battalion against 3 + enemy battalions. when i tried to play it, i couldn't even get past the first information screen. so i got rid of everything except for 1 company on each side. i got past the first screen but when i was trying to set up my guys, the performance is just too choppy. i am starting to think that all the maps are just suppose to be flat dirt maps. i am starting to be real disappointed in this product.

i tried to create a infantry scenario using it pitting a heavily reinforced american infantry battalion against 3 + enemy battalions
LOL :D:D

4 Battalions will kill any PC at the moment.I'm surprised you could get all those units on the map !

I've got a scenerio I'm making that starts with a reinforced company of Syrians on the map, and two platoons of Americans. Works fine. As I'm still building the scenario I'd left all the remaining units of the American battalion as purchased in case I wanted to incorporate them into the scenarion later and set them up as reinforcements on 60 minutes to get them out of the way when play testing the early stages of the battle. The last playtest was so much fun I kept playing, reached the 60 minute mark at which time all remaining US units appeared on the map and the game ground to a halt !

BFC have always said this game is based on Company sized action, and at the moment that's the truth.

[ September 19, 2007, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Pete Wenman ]

I don't own a last model computer, but have a good one anyway, an AMD 4800 (dualcore 64bit), I don't have problems with reinforced companies battles probably more (haven't tried), I can run them in RT w/o problem and lag. Indeed, the bottleneck is my graphic card which is allready dated.

Is a matter of processing power obviously, I think in a couple years the average computer will be able to run the engine w/o problems at huge maps and huge forces. Anyway these monster battles only would be playable in WeGo and would take huge time, so the playabality is low. As Pete says, this game is NOT though for that kind of battles, the player can't handle it even if the computer could (not right now, but yes in the future, maybe top cpus can run it allready don't know).

That at least until some kind of multi-coop is done, if ever.

• 2 months later...

I was looking more carefully your maps and was really impressed with the amount of detail you have put into them.

Like I said in the other thread they don't run slow with the settings I'm using.

The maps have WWII feel to them. Not much like the Syria I imagine. But to be honest what do I know about Syria anyway. There might be some areas resembling that.

Not sure that is relevant anyway.

I spend some time "traveling" around the maps to find some good spots for battles.

They remind me of the TOW maps to a certain extend .

Using sacks to look like sand bags, like PeterLorre86 pointed out, was genius.

Congrats again.

Have you got a battle already for this?

--

Web' hi

The maps have WWII feel to them. Not much like the Syria I imagine.
I just went with the type of terrain I like to fight over, so call it Redland.

They were also experiments in what you could do with the editor.

I've got some scenarios half done, but don't see the point of doing much more with them before 1.05.

As you say you can reduce the map size down and just fight over that area or build something else adjacent. It's a shame more people arn't playing with the editor, as I think it is far more powerful than most people think. However this means scenarios are not quick to design.

This ties in with the range of modern weapons and the map size required. These maps need a lot of PC power and yet only cover a 1km square (approx), with virtually every weapon system able to fire over ranges greater than the map size. Many of the issues caused by this will be solved with CM2 WWII with shorter ranges and less accuracy. I'm not sure everyone understands how difficult it is to make a balanced scenario when units can hit whatever they see, across the entire map. You can use LOS obstacles to block LOS/LOF, but these obstacles then become key terrain, and actually help which ever side can secure them (usually the player given the poor AI).

That's the main reason why my maps have close terrain and covered approaches so that the identification of key terrain is that much harder.

I'm waffling so I'll stop here.

[ November 29, 2007, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Pete Wenman ]

Hey Pete,

I don't think you are waffling at all.

Your observations are spot on.

That's why they imagined a close combat, urban sort of scenarios. The problem is they include a map editor. This opens up Pandora's box, 'cause now you can design anything and you come to realize the maps are small for such powerful weapons.

But you have shown that with a bit of creativity you can make good of it. Besides, all the great inventions and works of art are this, to transcend the limitations of your tools and do something special.

The guys that made the best scenarios so far are the ones that understood this. Where to place the objects to block LOS, etc.

But in the end I think we can't help ourselves but think: Imagine this in a WWII scenario! ;)

My meter is bigger than your meter...We are all pretty well versed on both the CMx1 and CMx2 editor. This question just keep buzzing in my head...Here's how it started:

I started work on "Last Defense" using the copied version from CMAK (later got a screen shot of CMBO editor to confirm map with original) Noting exactly the metric map size I started work in CMx2 editor. The visualisation of a meter is far more expansive than CMx1. The original map is claustrophobic by comparison. I understand visual resolution and size must play a roll but what do you all think makes the difference so pronounced? I'll try to get a side by side pic up for your viewing pleasure.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

My meter is bigger than your meter...We are all pretty well versed on both the CMx1 and CMx2 editor. This question just keep buzzing in my head...Here's how it started:

I started work on "Last Defense" using the copied version from CMAK (later got a screen shot of CMBO editor to confirm map with original) Noting exactly the metric map size I started work in CMx2 editor. The visualisation of a meter is far more expansive than CMx1. The original map is claustrophobic by comparison. I understand visual resolution and size must play a roll but what do you all think makes the difference so pronounced? I'll try to get a side by side pic up for your viewing pleasure.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean MarkEzra. Actually I am sure! I don't! :D

I'll wait for the pictures.

--

Pics:

CMSFLDB.jpg

CMAKLDA.jpg

Or look at the Chance Encounter Map for CMSF and Check out the CMAK version...You may well get abetter visual representation from your own PC screen. Then again I could be just seeing things...So please set me straight

[ November 30, 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: MarkEzra ]

Pete,

I don't know if you have TOW, or if you like it. But for what I've seen in your maps I was wondering what you would be able to do with the new map editor soon to be release. With your talent and attention to detail you would be able to do wonders. Even if you don't like TOW it would be worth just for the map editor. Hours of joy, I guarantee.

Cheers