New Scenario for testing: "Paradise Road"

This is a map I already made some time ago, but couldn't decide what units to use.

I wanted limited armor and a bias on infantry and Humvees.

The scenario now depicts 2 light infantry platoons of 10th Mountain Div. (I hope I got the formations somehow right redface.gif ) trying to secure a road through a small town held by uncon fighters.

Please try it out and see if you like it.

ParadiseRoad.jpg

Download Paradise Road Mk Ib here

And as usual: I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. smile.gif

EDIT: Updated download to Mk Ib

This version plays exactly the same as Mk I, the only difference is a minor correction in the briefing. So you will most likely not want to Download it if you have Mk I already.

[ September 20, 2007, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: birdstrike ]

Birdstrike,

Excellent scenario from my play last night. My only question is about the unarmed M114s. It seems based on observations of the current conflict in Iraq that most of the M114s are armed.

Together with the Farm, I'd have to say I've enjoyed you scanarios the most out of the ones I've donwloaded thus far (not to take away from the truly excellent village of trouble series).

I'm glad that you all like it. Thanks for your positive comments, guys. :D

Woest,

sorry for dropping in late, but it's good to see you got it to work. Hope you enjoy it, also.

average,

as for the M1114, I picked the unarmed Humvees solely not to have too much armed vehicles at the beginning. Another thing is that the armed Humvees need a fixed 2-men crew to be able to fire and that leavs only 3 seats for passengers, or if there are 4 or 5 passengers and no crew, they lose the ability to fire when the passengers dismount. So I decided to go with the unarmed 4-seated variants. They also seem to attract less fire as long as there are still armed humvees around. ;)

and I will most likely release another map in the near future... but have to play the game myself from time to time ;)

---Don't know, but here may be SPOILERS ahead---

Any comments on the ATGMs? Were they firing at you and how difficult to take out?

And what about "Suprise!"?

well i enjoyed it, one of the better scenarios in my opinion.

i did win the scenario, but with losses. The approach can be very dangerous and also the time between the arrival of the reinforcement. without the reinforcement i could not have completed my mission.

about your question, the could always fire the first shot before i spot them. so the are a big threat. i had some problems taking them out, because the area fire didn't always work. after i spot one atgm my squad fired at them. but as soon as the were gone again the stop firing. even when i gave it an area fire command, they basically wait until the target is spotted again. So the atgm's could again fire before they were spotted. i thinks this is an engine "bug". Perhaps it is because of the collateral damage condition, i don't know. The threat of the atgm's were high enough to back out my vehicles until they were taken out...

so great scenario smile.gif

Thanks for the reply smile.gif

Sometimes the area fire is not aimed at the correct building level. I only recently found out that you can area target a specific level. The roof is sometimes difficult to select, you basically have to aim at the edge of the roof, instead of the middle of the roof. Perhaps this could help you.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Had a ball with this one......I agree with your decision on the unarmed Hummers. When the ATGM

opens up on the column, iof you dont get a catastophic kill you still have the extra crewmenm to dismount and return fire.

The technical counter attack was cool and totally unexpected.

Great work...keep it up!!!

Thanks, Nidan. Glad you like it smile.gif

I've now posted this scenario along with "The Farm" (Mk II) on CMMODs. The Paradise Road version on CMMODs is Mk Ib, this version is exactly the same as Mk I, but I corrected a minor error in the briefing (the MGS was not listed in the reinforcements).

And since I used a different handle on CMMODS back when I registered, the scenarios are listed under "El_Terrifico", but don't let that confuse you. :D

Nice scenario ! Thanks for the effort !

SPOILERS

I really like the degrees of freedom this scenario brings to the player

The hills located both sides of the road bring good observation & bases of fire. I placed there the Stryker, an MG team, and a team equipped with javelines, and they were well protected from enemy ATGMs and in excellent position to return fire.

Decided to go to sleep after loosing my first three vehicles in the first five minutes! Those trees do not appear to give the level of cover that I expected ...

Thus, I cannot comment a lot on the scenario for the time being, but the map sure looks great, and the mosque looks especially intimidating!

Shall start over and try again soon!

Best regards,

Thomm

Played it through to a minor defeat last night!

This one is quite difficult!

Unfortunately, the first 30 minutes, which are rather infantry-centric, brought out a lot of shortcomings of the 1.03 version for me. I rushed my initial force to the back of the mosque and tried to work my way forward from there, but the strange hunt behavior, the dubious LOS around trees, my troops taking the initiative, and (the best:) my rattled troops trying to sneak to cover through the wall of the mosque (instead, of course, going to the front and dying) led to a lot of hair-pulling!

Agree with everything that was said so far, though: interesting map and painful surprises!

Best regards,

Thomm