Nato Military Symbols Fonts

Normal Dude,

Thanks. I've done my first experiment using the fonts. Using the % key in combination with the 4 key using the FR-Land font (friendly land forces) I can make an Armoured Wheeled Infantry Company symbol. The number keys add the unit size to another symbol by the way - a useful thing I've found.

Anyway, looking at one of the online manuals for the Stryker company, this has an additional vertical line on the left-hand side of the symbol. To show you what I mean I've done one graphic using the basic font and another with a line added (see below). My question is, what does the vertical line mean and would it be more accurate to use it?

Mil_Symbols.jpg

Cpl Steniner,

I have the FM 1-02 Operational Terms and Graphics dated 2004, which is the current copy, that I can send it to you that will explain what it means. When you get the copy from me look at Chapter 5 page 5-2 it will explain.

Shoot me an email and I will send it to you.

josborne6atkc.rr.com

JohnO

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I believe the vertical line means that it is a medium force.

No it means that it is a "Friendly Wheeled Armored Infantry Unit with Gun Systems"

I can send the FM to you as well Normal Dude.

JohnO

Originally posted by JohnO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I believe the vertical line means that it is a medium force.

No it means that it is a "Friendly Wheeled Armored Infantry Unit with Gun Systems"

I can send the FM to you as well Normal Dude.

JohnO </font>I have the FM myself, I just found that definition about 30 seconds ago and was gonna amend my post. I was going off of a different symbol system.

Cpl Steniner,

I have the FM 1-02 Operational Terms and Graphics dated 2004, which is the current copy, that I can send it to you that will explain what it means. When you get the copy from me look at Chapter 5 page 5-2 it will explain.

Shoot me an email and I will send it to you.

josborne6atkc.rr.com

JohnO

Thanks for the offer. I've sent the email now so let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks both of you with the definition of the vertical line.

By "Gun System" I'm assuming this refers to the MGS platoon attached to every company?

However, according to the online SBCT manual each Stryker platoon also has the vertical line. Would this be for the Mk19 grenade launcher vehicle?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'd like to do some really professional unit graphics and understand what they mean.

yes for the MGS, no, that is what they use for all Stryker plts, companys, and battalion. You will see that when you look at the FM I sent to you.

JohnO

JohnO,

Yeah I think I understand now. The vertical line on all Stryker units means "Infantry Fighting Vehicle" (IFV) as opposed to say an armoured troop carrier with no weapon system.

For anyone interested, here are two sheets of common unit symbols, one for Blue force and one for Red. Feel free to cut and paste them into any operational maps you create.

Unit size symbols from left to right are: crew; team; squad; platoon; company; battalion.

Unit type symbols from left to right and top to bottom are: Infantry; Motorized Infantry; Mechanized Infantry (Wheeled APC); Mechanized Infantry (Tracked APC); Armoured Recon (Wheeled); Armoured Recon (Tracked); Tank; Artillery; Anti-Tank Gun; Self-Propelled Artillery; Engineer; Airborne; Mechanized Infantry (Wheeled IFV); Mechanized Infantry (Tracked IFV).

Please note, the latter two I had to make myself by adding the vertical line to the existing font to denote "Gun System" (i.e. IFV). These can be used for Strykers and also BMPs and the like.

[Edit - added some "Unknown" symbols. As it is unlikely you would not know what a unit of battalion size was, I've made the battalion one into a "size unknown" symbol instead.]

NATO_Symbols_Friendly3.jpg

NATO_Symbols_Enemy2.jpg

[ August 27, 2007, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

• 3 months later...